Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Seems like also many cars without remaps got the common issues so I think any stress added through a remap is very marginal.

It does make perfect sense to let it warm up before giving it some. I never use all the power unless the engine is really warm. Being a petrol it fortunately gets hot in no time. :)

How serious are those UK LEZs by the way? There was loads of fuss in Germany a few years ago when the first city (Stuttgart I think) decided to ban diesels, which led to loads of stress and diesel demonisation with falling diesel car prices etc. It was around that time that I traded in my XFS and then I saw that it took the main dealer i Berlin where I traded it in about 1,5 year :)eek:) before they managed to sell the car although it was loaded, pristine and not insanely priced. Probably at least partially due to the diesel panic in the country. Anyways then it turned out that the first actual diesel ban area was just like a few streets which hardly made any practical difference to diesel drivers. Not sure how things have developed in Germany since then but it was clearly exaggerated.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
This blanket banning of diesels is all wrong, Euro 6 diesels are cleaner than petrol engined cars. At least this is taken into account in the London LEZ. Not that I ever go there.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Was chatting with the mechanic at work today about Euro 6 and even he said that when he's in the pit under one of the Euro 6 Merc trucks he can hardly smell a thing. I also looked at what would be involved in converting the XF to Euro 6 and surprisingly it's not a huge job, but the real difficulty is getting the emissions classification changed. I reckon it will be even more difficult now that there's real road testing involved as well.

Back to the numbers, I guess I'll have to start trawling the internet for figures. I would have though some of the members on here would have suffered and paid for the issues I listed, but not to worry I can work with some estimates.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
She's here to stay. Sod the city centres, they can spin, as can the local Authorities and Government. I give them more than enough already. :D
Nice one Graham stop worrying about what may happen what happens is bad enough.If Albert Einstein was correct all that is going to happen has already happened so sit back and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Sounds like a good approach!

Regarding the costs of fixing the potential issues you should be able to find a fair bit of info by searching around on the forum. There are also a couple of XF facebook groups with loads of info like that (if you manage to trawl through all the other useless info in those groups). Or just ask an indy directly about the rough costs.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
The new Birmingham LEZ comes in to force on July 1st. No real issue for me. But recently we have had to visit the Birmingham Children's Hospital which is located right in the centre. The parking charges are bad enough but then having to pay an extra £8 is just ridiculous. I hope there are going to be concessions for those families who have to visit regularly with severely ill children.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I forgot that I've already pumped about £2k and my time into her what with the timing belt kit, services, multiple alignments, tyres, interior LED upgrades, machine polishing etc. So that makes it even more of a hit to change.

A new battery will definitely be on the cards though, icarsoft reading shows the battery is over 7 years old so it must be the original.

The new Birmingham LEZ comes in to force on July 1st. No real issue for me. But recently we have had to visit the Birmingham Children's Hospital which is located right in the centre. The parking charges are bad enough but then having to pay an extra £8 is just ridiculous. I hope there are going to be concessions for those families who have to visit regularly with severely ill children.
Exactly this (but not city specific) was being discussed on Talk Radio a few days ago by a caller who had phoned in whilst discussing the LEZ's and parking. Fortunately, the main hospital in Glasgow is well outside the city centre as is the hospital for other speciailist stuff (Gartnavel). Parking isn't too bad now for the Queen Elizabeth but Gartnavel isn't great, but you can pay a few quid and use the nearby hotel car park.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
There are 2 large Hospitals in Nottingham, both outside the City Centre, same charges at both, Disabled also pay the same:

Duration........... Charge
0-30 minutes Free
up to 1 hour £2
1-2 hours £4
2-4 hours £5.50
up to 8 hours £6.50
up to 24 hours £8
Weekly £20
Monthly £30

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
There are 2 large Hospitals in Nottingham, both outside the City Centre, same charges at both, Disabled also pay the same:

Duration........... Charge
0-30 minutes Free
up to 1 hour £2
1-2 hours £4
2-4 hours £5.50
up to 8 hours £6.50
up to 24 hours £8
Weekly £20
Monthly £30

Do they charge more or add a surcharge for diesels yet?

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
She's here to stay. Sod the city centres, they can spin, as can the local Authorities and Government. I give them more than enough already. :D
Nice one Graham stop worrying about what may happen what happens is bad enough.If Albert Einstein was correct all that is going to happen has already happened so sit back and enjoy the ride.
Sounds like a good approach!

Yeah.. but.. what if Einstein was wrong!... :eek:

Just thinking out loud Graham..... ;)

·
Registered
4,163 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
That XJ looks fantastic but from a practicality point of view would you be able to live without a foldable back seat and with its cruise ship size? ;)

·
21,253 Posts
That XJ looks fantastic but from a practicality point of view would you be able to live without a foldable back seat and with its cruise ship size? ;)
Add to that - Graham's kids in the back using the fold down desks as scrawling tablets ;)

Only kidding Graham - I'm sure they'll be on their iPads or equivalent.

Looks a beautiful car.

As always - it's your choice.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
The car looks epic anyways. Fantastic colour combo and spec as it seems. Crazy amount of car for the money. No supercharger so it doesn't have the full potential of the engine but on the other hand one problem less.

LWB is just an odd feature to to me unless you are a professional chauffeur or have one to drive you around.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts