Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that we don't have any sticky thread listing all the typical issues, but correct me if I'm wrong. I saw this kind of thread on another forum, but it's not very exhaustive, and I've also seen various posts from people missing out on claiming issues before their warranty expired, because they didn't know what to look for. I'm also trying to sum up what to check before my warranty expires and hopefully this kind of thread could be helpful for more than me.

So which common issues, which usually are covered by warranty, may not be obvious but can be discovered or provoked do we have?

The ones I can come to think of from the top of my head are:

- Broken door locks. Check that the all locks move fully inside the car when locking/unlocking the central locking. Also lock the car, leave the fob out of range and check if it's possible to open any door.

- Rattle in front door when going over bumps (the good old issue with the degrading foam on one of the window regulator cables)

- Broken LEDs in the rear lights on early pre-facelift cars.

- Rust on the bootlid next to the chrome strip on the boot lid. Pre-facelift cars and usually covered by the 6 year corrosion warranty.

- Cracked intercooler seal or sticking turbo actuator on diesels. Anyone giving the car the beans would have noticed this through a restricted performance issue, but if the car is usually not driven hard - check by pushing it and make sure to rev it beyond 3000 rpm

- Supercharger coupler on supercharged cars. Check for occasional rattle, like a bunch of marbles inside a tin can, when idling. Usually only audible outside the car.

- Failing water pump. Can't remember how to discover this one. Check for unusual rumble in engine compartment when idling?

- Tank slap on diesels. Check for thump in the back of the car when slowing down and stopping completely with more than 50% in the tank. Not really an issue and is there by design, but can be improved under warranty. It never bothered me in my XFS so I never asked to do anything about it.

- Broken boot loom cables. Usually hard to notice before it happens, but indications of an imminent boot loom issue can be occasional (or permanent!) problems with the reversing camera, boot lock or other electrics in the boot lid.

What else do we have?

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Moved here Tom.

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,946 Posts
Here's a few more, although some don't usually show up until the car is out of warranty and/or aren't covered by the warranty anyway:
- DPF clogging up prematurely due to incomplete regens (obviously diesels only)
- EGR valves clogging up (mainly but not exclusively diesels)
- rattly supercharger belt tensioner
- sidewalls cracking and splitting on Dunlop SP Maxx tyres
- battery conking out suddenly after about four years
- battery tie down rod nut rusted on solid
- diff packing up, mainly on very early XFs
- front map/reading lights flickering on and off at random
- rattles and buzzes in the front door speakers and/or the "spear"
- dodgy TPMS, either the valves or the control unit or sometimes both.

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,084 Posts
I had failed seals on the air intake manifold, identified by Indy who said it is not uncommon, Jaguar Warranty covered it.

As an aside my warranty expires in November, I am planning on having the Indy to service and check it over prior to expiry so any issues can hopefully be identified.

·
Apostrophe Monitor
7,424 Posts
Door seals coming away - rear door, I have had two on the same door
Door weather seal - the single one along the bottom door also been replaced
Pressure seals/boot seals not fitted correctly - water in the boot floor - not easy to see the seals but water sloshing around under the carpet floor, these seals are the usual suspects.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for moving it Geoff, and already some good additions.

One more that used to be quite common on the pre-facelift: the upper chrome trim on the top of the front doors (usually the driver's door since it's used most) slowly slides out/backward over time. If you don't notice it in time it starts scraping the chrome strip on the rear door behind it, and if you let it go even further out it will start hitting the B pillar and bending.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
- rattly supercharger belt tensioner
How do you check this (another rattle?) and can you tell this apart from the supercharger coupler rattle?

And does anyone know how to identify a water pump on the way out?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Front doors corroding through in the central area. Caused by the sound insulation pads rust right through the door.

My XF is currently in the body shop getting all four doors replaced.
On another forum I have been notified that a member spotted a 60 plate XF with the same problem.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Cracked inlet manifolds.
Sticking turbo shut off valve (common at 100k)
Bubbling/rippling leather on tops of doors.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Oh, and Blackpool lights whne battery is anything other than 110% charge.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Came to think of another one, which is just an adjustment but still might be done by a dealer under warranty:

- Weak dipped beam xenons, not illuminating far enough. Caused by the lights being set up pointing too much down.

Super easy to adjust oneself, by using the hexagonal vertical adjustment screws on top of the lights. See separate threads about how to do it. There's talk about a quarter or half a turn to adjust the lights enough, but my experience is that it takes several whole turns to make any real difference.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Make sure that both left and right side, rear seat 'release cables' (located in the boot) both lower the rear seats when pulled. I had one of the cables replaced via the warranty. Though there is a mod to solve this problem if you don't have said warranty.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make sure that both left and right side, rear seat 'release cables' (located in the boot) both lower the rear seats when pulled. I had one of the cables replaced via the warranty. Though there is a mod to solve this problem if you don't have said warranty.
Good one. How did you solve it? On both my XFs the left release cable was/is a PITA because after pulling it, it usually just pops back in. I have to pull it out and release it really gently to make it stay out/unlocked, so that I can walk over to the rear seat and pull it. I guess an option is also to keep the cable pulled and use something long like an umbrella to push the back seat from inside the boot.

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,946 Posts
Good one. How did you solve it? On both my XFs the left release cable was/is a PITA because after pulling it, it usually just pops back in. I have to pull it out and release it really gently to make it stay out/unlocked, so that I can walk over to the rear seat and pull it. I guess an option is also to keep the cable pulled and use something long like an umbrella to push the back seat from inside the boot.
Both my XFs did this, I'm fairly sure it's a "feature" and not a defect.
I used a piece of two be four I had lying around in the garage to push the seat back down from inside the boot.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Not just mine then! The 2x4 solution never occured to me. It's the LHS too.

·
Administrator
31,056 Posts
There is a very simple mod on the site that uses some dirt cheap spring clips to ensure the seat backs "pop" forwards. Was evolved by D3GGY, blowed if I can find it just now.

·
Administrator
29,404 Posts
There is a very simple mod on the site that uses some dirt cheap spring clips to ensure the seat backs "pop" forwards. Was evolved by D3GGY, blowed if I can find it just now.
I remember that.....but I can't remember what he scavenged the spring from?:confused:

·
Administrator
29,404 Posts
Was it something like this.....

Product Yellow Cylinder Auto part Muffler

1 - 20 of 111 Posts