Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally had this plugged into my XF-S until it was written off. And until recently, my XJ which has the same engine.
At setting #10 it will increase power to about 320 h.p. and torque to around 680 N-m.
(There is a YouTube video of a forum member with his XF-S with a Tunit fitted on a dyno showing these figures).
Lower settings improve fuel consumption.
"So, why are you selling yours, John?"
I'll tell you.
On my XF-S there was a noticeable boost to performance which I just don't feel on the XJ even though it's the same engine. The XJ seems to have a lot more "whoomf" than the XF had. Also, something that never happened on the XF, is that the boost limiter kicks in at around 4000 revs with the XJ unless you change down. Like hitting a wall.
Added to this, my Jag extended warranty would take a dim view of it and I'll feel more relaxed if it wasn't there.
Price: £100 delivered (UK mainland) or agreed price if shipping overseas.
Comes in its original box with instructions. Just plug-n-play.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Just to add, Tunit should be able to reprogram the unit to suit a particular JLR engine.
They changed my original one from an Evoque 2.2d to an XF 2.2d for £45.
The maps were different despite the same engine.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Administrator
27,285 Posts
If anyone wants to fit it to a BMW I've found the original harness... it'd still need reprogramming though.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Firm Rampant Member
15,608 Posts

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I originally had this plugged into my XF-S until it was written off. And until recently, my XJ which has the same engine.
At setting #10 it will increase power to about 320 h.p. and torque to around 680 N-m.
(There is a YouTube video of a forum member with his XF-S with a Tunit fitted on a dyno showing these figures).
Lower settings improve fuel consumption.
"So, why are you selling yours, John?"
I'll tell you.
On my XF-S there was a noticeable boost to performance which I just don't feel on the XJ even though it's the same engine. The XJ seems to have a lot more "whoomf" than the XF had. Also, something that never happened on the XF, is that the boost limiter kicks in at around 4000 revs with the XJ unless you change down. Like hitting a wall.
Added to this, my Jag extended warranty would take a dim view of it and I'll feel more relaxed if it wasn't there.
Price: £100 delivered (UK mainland) or agreed price if shipping overseas.
Comes in its original box with instructions. Just plug-n-play. View attachment 185620
Bumpety bump.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Yes they reprogrammed my pre-owned one.

Give them a call and ask for Rhys just to check.

·
Administrator
27,285 Posts
Thanks for the help, I will give him a call, although the gains a little disappointing, from 335 to 356
What’s the torque gain because that’s where you’ll feel the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The torque gain would only be 21lbs/ft which in the grand scheme is only about 7% which means it would not be worth the time and effort to install this on the XES, good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the wiring harness is probably different on the XE so the cable will need changed.
Tunit will be able to confirm this.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, I think that @freddyspaghetti 's car is petrol (335 h.p?) and I would very much doubt that a chip mapped for a diesel engine could easily be adapted for a petrol engine.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Also, I think that @freddyspaghetti 's car is petrol (335 h.p?) and I would very much doubt that a chip mapped for a diesel engine could easily be adapted for a petrol engine.
Ah, that'd explain the low power gain. Box definitely won't work on that engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clearly, the box with its current map would not suit my engine or car. But I enquired regarding reprogramming it approximately and the gains don't justify purchasing it.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
This is a diesel tuning box, can't and won't fit petrol engines. The poor power gain of tuning boxes fitted to petrol cars is because they don't function in a way that can attribute much of a power gain. Petrol engines need to be remapped professionally. Diesels on the other hand are easy to tune with very worthwhile power or economy gains with plug-in tuning boxes, but can also be "mapped".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts