Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can I fit an aftermarket TPMS valve onto my 2015 XJ or do I need to fit a genuine Jag part? I have found a SCHRADER part for £25.40 instead of the ones from Jag which are £100

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
I don't believe a 3rd-party valve will work. Even the "Jaguar" valves have to be of the correct part number and type for your MY (model year).
Your XJ is the same MY as mine. I find photos of what you need and perhaps more importantly, what don't work even though some Jaguar dealers will tell you they're correct.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
So, these are the correct valves (note the "AA" at the end of the i/d number):

And this is the wrong one for MY15 XJ. They also have the "AA" number but don't work. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
1,155 Posts
Usually readily available on Ye Bay, and naewhere near £100.00. I bought some…..working perfectfully, but handy photo guide from John Boy.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
When I needed a couple the Jaguar dealer, Hendy/Christchurch, fitted spare parts at about £12 each.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Just by the way, I have a set of the smaller ones which are correct for the MY16 XJ onward XJ. I'll match that price of £12 each / £48 for the set.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,375 Posts
So, these are the correct valves (note the "AA" at the end of the i/d number):

And this is the wrong one for MY15 XJ. They also have the "AA" number but don't work. Ask me how I know.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, those are AB John, no wonder they didn’t work :unsure:

Reactions: PeteA and JakeBlade

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had a 3rd party one fitted when the tyre shop somehow damaged my genuine one. They coded it to work with the car but it would occasionally stop talking to the it and throw errors on the dash. Switch the car off and on and it was all good till the next time.

I eventually got sick of it and decided to get a genuine one which they fitted for free, wouldn’t pay towards it as they felt they’d offered a fix with the aftermarket one despite it being a bit rubbish.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Unless my eyes are deceiving me, those are AB John, no wonder they didn’t work :unsure:
Gav, you're right. Those are indeed "AB". I posted the wrong photo.
I do have the "AA" ones . . .

But I only have 3 of them as I remembered that I sold one to an FM some time back as they are the ones for the X260 as well.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
It's not beyond the realms of possiblity that another company will come up with an equivalent unit that will work with Jaguars of this era.

It's a weird and wonderful setup on the Jaguar to be fair though.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
I've successfully used 3rd party TPMS sensors on my X250 XF. No issues fitting them and getting them to work, however, 3 years later they started to fail, they clearly didn't have the longevity of original sensors. The aluminium stems corroded and the rubber seals no longer sealed, and being non-Jaguar, the service kits didn't fit. So in the long run, I'll now use genuine sensors.

Reactions: Phil1

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Same as I have used. Suggest getting some spare valve stems and seals so you have spares when/if you need them and just keep them in the car under the boot floor.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've had a spare set in a box in the garage for about 5 years. Do the batteries die ?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I've had a spare set in a box in the garage for about 5 years. Do the batteries die ?
Yes if they've been taken out of their transport mode.

Even in their sleep mode they'll go dead within about 5-8 years.

Newer cars seem to use ones which are kinetically charged, much like a wrist watch.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
The shelf life of a sealed lithium battery is 10 years, by which time they will have degraded to 90% capacity and the internal resistance will have increased. A set of new sensors but at 5 years old probably should be fitted now if you hope to get any usable life from them. Or sold on. I can test them as I have a TPMS test unit which will also return the battery status. Most tyre places should have such a device, else they're a rubbish tyre place!

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
2011 XF S 3.0D
70 Posts
Good morning everybody, sorry to hijack the thread, but can anybody confirm the correct part number for a pre FL x250, one of my wheel sensors has now gone and am getting fed up of seeing the warning on the dash. Thanks

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Good morning everybody, sorry to hijack the thread, but can anybody confirm the correct part number for a pre FL x250, one of my wheel sensors has now gone and am getting fed up of seeing the warning on the dash. Thanks
Hi. I think I have one that you're welcome to. Let me check but if you PM me your address I'll get it posted. Will confirm this afternoon after checking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts