Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six weeks ago i bought a Jaguar xf "s" saloon 275bhp 59 reg what I am trying to find out has anyone got this model and tows a caravan my caravan is a twin axle fully laden weight of 1560 kg Jaguar state 75 kg nose weight on the towbar i purchased a milenco nose weight gauge and the reading was off the scale at 130 kg plus so i took everthing out of the front locker until it was empty and moved everthing to the back of caravan i even put the awning "32" kg and other things on the Island bed my weight is now reading 105 kg and cant get it below that so if anyone tows with a Jaguar xf "s" with a caravan of somewere about the same weight can you tell me what have you done to keep the weight of 75 kg on the towbar and please dont say change the caravan as i only bought it last year its a brand new caravan and i dont want to change the car either so I'm stuck with what to do

·
Super Moderator
11,115 Posts
Not sure where you got those weights from but a quick Google gave Jaguar XF 2009 max towing capacity 3,500kg and max Nose weight 200kg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure where you get 200 kg nose weight from for the Jaguar
my range rover tdv8 had 150 kg nose weight and it states on Jaguar and brinks towbar site as 75 kg and to be honest i dont think a Hummer will be as high as 200 kg

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
It will very much depend on the towbar, the Tow Trust removable bar on my X260 has a vertical limit of 125kg, but the swan neck and removable bars for the X250 are 75kg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure where you got those weights from but a quick Google gave Jaguar XF 2009 max towing capacity 3,500kg and max Nose weight 200kg.
Geoff its surely wrong 200 kg nose weight as the car manuel states 75 kg and every were else i have read up on states 75 kg its illegal to tow with a match of 105 kg that i have got it down to by putting the awning and other bits and pieces on the nearside Island bed and as much weight to the back of the caravan must add my front locker is empty to achieve the 105 kg that i have it down to now

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you not put something in that would act as ballast, perhaps a water butt or something you could at least fill/empty.
BRC MIGHT TRY AND PUT MORE WEIGHT IN THE CAR BUT THAT WILL NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERANCE TO THE NOSE WEIGHT

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a caravan for a number of years before I got the Jaguar. It was a little smaller, 5 berth single axle approx 1400kg and I made the mistake of putting weight at the back of the caravan to try to achieve the correct nose weight. What that does is creates a pendulum effect with the van, luckily I did come to grief on that journey but the advice is always to keep the weight low and central. As your caravan is a twin axle that should keep it about right, a difficult balance to achieve.

·
Super Moderator
11,115 Posts
Geoff its surely wrong 200 kg nose weight as the car manuel states 75 kg and every were else i have read up on states 75 kg its illegal to tow with a match of 105 kg that i have got it down to by putting the awning and other bits and pieces on the nearside Island bed and as much weight to the back of the caravan must add my front locker is empty to achieve the 105 kg that i have it down to now
Yes seems I'm wrong, can't find the same "Jaguar" page again so apologies for that.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Jaguar has been awarded "Tow car of the Year" awards. If you can find copies of the articles you may find an answer to what you are asking.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Caravan Club website also has a wealth of information on there. I assume your hitchlock was at towball level when you measured it? I believe twin axle caravans are more stable and a couple of sites mentioned that the nose weight does reduce at speed due to the aerodynamics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info Dan just going to put the awning and heavy stuff over the axels and hope for the best and see what my nose weight reads
Jaguar has been awarded "Tow car of the Year" awards. If you can find copies of the articles you may find an answer to what you are asking.
`Thank you for your input,I have rang the Jaguar main dealer and they confirmed its 75 kg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts