Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'll be getting some professional help tomorrow, but I'm curious if I have a known fault and whether there's an easy fix?

2014 XF. My daughter threw a strop this morning and opened the rear door when the car was moving at about 5mph. I stopped and went to place the car in reverse. All of the electrics failed - with the auto transmission knob still up. I managed to lock / unlock the car with the key fob. The electrics came back and I got a warning to apply the foot brake with the parking brake. All good and we then drove for about 30mins and parked for 1 hour. I came back to the car and it unlocked, but before I could start the ignition all of the electrics went again.

I suspected a flat battery (despite both batteries being replaced 10 months ago). I called the AA and whilst we were waiting for them to arrive I noticed the Jaguar logo light up on the dashboard console. I pressed the ignition start and we were away again. I drove for about 40mins, parked up and everything was fine.

I went out again about an hour later. 10 minute drive, parked up for half an hour and everything is fine. I then got home and as I switched from D to P everything failed again. This time it's completely unresponsive to anything. No electrics at all. I can't lock the car and it's out on the road. I can't open the boot. The auto transmission knob is still in the upright position. It's like it died completely when I moved from D to P.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and disconnect the battery and try to see if the key blade helps in any way. I've checked the battery on the key fob.

Is this a known or common issue?

Thanks a million in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Make sure they are all tight on both batteries. It sounds like you may have loose connections to the battery.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check the other end of the negative cables too, in case they aren't tight where they're connected to the body. The only time you should get the handbrake re-calibration message is when power is lost to the module controlling it, usually because the battery has been disconnected. It's also worth checking if there is water collecting in the boot ( where the spare wheel is/would be), that's a fairly common fault, an can short the electrics.
Failing that there is a junction for the main power behind the right hand ( almost at the bottom near the screen wash bottle.) wheel arch cover that can become full of mud / badly corroded.

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
check your fuse box in drivers footwell for water ingress and check the one in the rear too.

Reactions: StevJ

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check the things suggested above, battery connections, water ingress in boot. One other thing that came up a couple of weeks back was a main earth cable between the n/s/f wheel arch & the engine, movement can fractute the internal strands of the cable!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas. It was the hoop connector for the -ve on the main battery. Tucked out of sight at the end adjacent to the rear of the car. I had the batteries replaced last year, so I'm guessing they didn't tighten it enough.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great. These cars don’t like disconnection of battery that much. I am glad it didn’t damage anything. But I am more glad that it didn’t disconnect while driving a windy road or over taking on a single carriage!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Great news that it’s all sorted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks fellas. It was the hoop connector for the -ve on the main battery. Tucked out of sight at the end adjacent to the rear of the car. I had the batteries replaced last year, so I'm guessing they didn't tighten it enough.
That's good news, I hope you got away without any damage ( alternator doesn't provide a very smooth supply ) You should make sure that the post on the battery is not recessed inside the clamp, if it is slacken the clamp, and push it further on before tightening again. ( They're tapered posts on the battery so if the clamp is not far enough down it won't clamp properly even when completely closed ) The post should protrude ever so slightly above the clamp. Bolt is only supposed to be tightened to 6Nm BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's good news, I hope you got away without any damage ( alternator doesn't provide a very smooth supply ) You should make sure that the post on the battery is not recessed inside the clamp, if it is slacken the clamp, and push it further on before tightening again. ( They're tapered posts on the battery so if the clamp is not far enough down it won't clamp properly even when completely closed ) The post should protrude ever so slightly above the clamp. Bolt is only supposed to be tightened to 6Nm BTW.
Great advice. I am going to reconnect them. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts