Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XFR is due service and MOT at the end of the month and I’m giving some thought to having the gearbox serviced at the same time.

I’ve spoken to a couple of places that will do a Mega Flush on the gearbox but they don’t do the sump pan with the integral filter. As a result, I’m tempted to buy the sump pan and 8 litres of oil from Jaguar and do it myself. The only downside to that is I won’t be able to get all of the oil out of the gearbox.

I’m thinking it might be worth doing the filter and an oil change myself, then doing another one or two oil changes afterwards, or doing a sump pan and oil change myself and then sending it in to get it Mega Flushed.

I’ve also read that Mega Flushing the gearbox can cause problems as it could dislodge anything that’s stuck in the box and cause failure.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

David.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi, it is not recommended by ZF to flush the gearbox, in your position I would avoid it at all costs. Phil

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
My indy who did a gearbox service on mine last month say you should never change all the fluid for the exact reasons you mentioned in your post.

They change all the filters and just replace the fluid that comes out.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I’m also of the opinion not to mega flush, ZF and most gearbox service places I spoke to prior getting it done said it’s not advised.

What sort of mileage are you on?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just ticked onto 80k miles so want it done. I did my Range Rover a few months ago and it was an easy enough job. I’ve got a diagnostics machine that will show me the oil temperature and the actual process isn’t difficult to do when it’s on our ramp.

Looks like I’ll reach out and order the parts from Jaguar and just do it myself.

David.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Just ticked onto 80k miles so want it done. I did my Range Rover a few months ago and it was an easy enough job. I’ve got a diagnostics machine that will show me the oil temperature and the actual process isn’t difficult to do when it’s on our ramp.

Looks like I’ll reach out and order the parts from Jaguar and just do it myself.

David.
Do Jaguar sell the sump/filter kits? Seeing as they regard it as “sealed for life”.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They do. I got my Range Rover kit from Duckworths Land Rover in Market Rasen. They sponsor a forum I’m a member of and sell a kit with the sump, new sump bolts and oil. All genuine ZF parts.

They do the same kit for the 8 speed too.

Although Jaguar regard the box as sealed for life, if you have any issues with the gearbox, the first thing they do is make you pay to have the oil and filter changed before they’ll accept a warranty claim 🙄

David.

·
Administrator
29,272 Posts
Change the sump and filter and change the oil yourself twice, with a run in between. You will get all the benefits with none of the potential issues.

On LR forums, high pressure flushing seems to be regarded with some suspicion, for the reason you already know - dislodging of particles and ensuing issues. Low pressure oil flush/replacement is, however, seen as "OK".

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Do Jaguar sell the sump/filter kits? Seeing as they regard it as “sealed for life”.
Of course they do, they sometimes need to drain them down to work on them/replace them etc.

They'll do it if you insist, but they'll argue it's not necessary and it's not part of the service schedule.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
My XFR is due service and MOT at the end of the month and I’m giving some thought to having the gearbox serviced at the same time.

I’ve spoken to a couple of places that will do a Mega Flush on the gearbox but they don’t do the sump pan with the integral filter. As a result, I’m tempted to buy the sump pan and 8 litres of oil from Jaguar and do it myself. The only downside to that is I won’t be able to get all of the oil out of the gearbox.

I’m thinking it might be worth doing the filter and an oil change myself, then doing another one or two oil changes afterwards, or doing a sump pan and oil change myself and then sending it in to get it Mega Flushed.

I’ve also read that Mega Flushing the gearbox can cause problems as it could dislodge anything that’s stuck in the box and cause failure.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

David.

My Jaguar indy did a low pressure flush done on mine at around 70k miles and no problems with the transmission so far. They advised against high pressure flushing. After seeing my sump and filter I would avoid anywhere saying that they wouldn't change it - I think I posted some photos of it on here.

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,756 Posts
I drained the oil and replaced the filter. 5.5L came out. At 155K on original oil it was like dark honey. I was expecting much worse than that.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I drained the oil and replaced the filter. 5.5L came out. At 155K on original oil it was like dark honey. I was expecting much worse than that.
I left my service a bit late at 108000 miles.

The fitter said the fluid that came out was still like new.

Maybe Jaguar are right to say no service is required.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I looked into this earlier this year as my XFR was at 82k miles. In the end I went to an authorised ZF service place and they did it the ZF recommended process.

When I turned up to collect, they had a Mercedes in which had a flush service somewhere else and it was playing up big time.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Mega flushes should be used for only one thing.

And even then you need to be in close contact with the water ways authorities, as it could present a danger to shipping.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had mine flushed about 3 years ago as it seems crazy to change the oil and leave 40% of the old oil in there, I have done 40,000 miles since the flush. I think if something is floating around in your gearbox and gets dislodged and causes damage then it was probably going to dislodge and cause damage anyway. I did a lot of online research and didn't come across anyone having problems after getting their gearbox flushed.

·
Registered
20,471 Posts
I looked into this earlier this year as my XFR was at 82k miles. In the end I went to an authorised ZF service place and they did it the ZF recommended process.

When I turned up to collect, they had a Mercedes in which had a flush service somewhere else and it was playing up big time.
Where did you have it done, Drew? (I think you and I are in the same part of the country, aren't we? Or am I mistaken? )

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I had mine flushed about 3 years ago as it seems crazy to change the oil and leave 40% of the old oil in there, I have done 40,000 miles since the flush. I think if something is floating around in your gearbox and gets dislodged and causes damage then it was probably going to dislodge and cause damage anyway. I did a lot of online research and didn't come across anyone having problems after getting their gearbox flushed.
Probably more luck than judgement.

ZF who make the boxes categorically state that it should not be flushed due to issues previously. I'll take my chances with that recommendation over someone who's had it done and not had any issues.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Since torque converters were added to transmission, manufacturers suggestion was based on mixing new and old fluid because some was trapped in the torque converter. There are very limited cars that have a drain plug on torque converter. If the life span of oil is 20years or 200k, they recommend 8yrs and 80k (roughly speaking) so that a 50-50 mix of old and new still is within the spec. Thus it’s not like the end of the world if you overdue the change. Also you decided to do a low pressure flush (although it is not recommended) you can leave the original oil run “at-least” up to double the recommended mileage. However if you do a conventional fluid change, you better do it at recommended interval. WM says when changing the fluid, check the colour, if it is like honey, you don’t need to change the pan/filter. Just the fluid.
I was under impression that transmission and diff are going to fail anytime at 155k because they were on original fluids. I had a little harsh gear changes when cold in the winter. However diff fluid was as clean as new. The debris on the magnet were minimal. The transmission was like dark honey and again debris on the magnets were negligible. Granted SDD shows the transmission never experienced an overheat.

P.S. initially I could only drain 3.5L. Left it over night and another 1.5L were drained. After removing the filter, another 0.5L was in the lift up tube.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Here's my old sump and filter. The black pieces are from the plastic when cutting it open. The fluid left on the sump and magnets (which certainly looked like they were doing their job!) was almost like a paste and it stank as well (transmission is probably a bit worn). I'm glad I did mine when I did.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Here's my old sump and filter. The black pieces are from the plastic when cutting it open. The fluid left on the sump and magnets (which certainly looked like they were doing their job!) was almost like a paste and it stank as well (transmission is probably a bit worn). I'm glad I did mine when I did.

View attachment 186787

View attachment 186788

View attachment 186789

View attachment 186790
My magnets were a little cleaner. I doubt those debris are more than 5gr. considering the weight of steel in that transmission, I would say that’s nothing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts