Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Muchos Thankios for this wee nugget of an Indie Garage, Jamesy min…..….superb folk and Dougie very attentive. £7.00 short of £700.00, but he forgot to tell me he always does the watter pump at same time…..anurra £50.00 plus VAT but so worth it. V Belt/accessory belt obviously silver plated at £28.00 plus VAT fgs. Pity they are 3.25 hours drive away, but that willnae stop me returning.
I'm happy you have your cambelt changed Kev, that's one thing less to worry about. My car goes into stratstone next week for major service as well, so will be interesting to see if they mention the water pump. 3.25 hours to drive to isn't so bad if you can trust them to do the job right.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
1,210 Posts
I'm happy you have your cambelt changed Kev, that's one thing less to worry about. My car goes into stratstone next week for major service as well, so will be interesting to see if they mention the water pump. 3.25 hours to drive to isn't so bad if you can trust them to do the job right.
Watter pump was NOT extra after all, David….he only forgot to TELL me it was part of the fool price, so pump at £50.00 already in there, £28.00 for accessory belt, approx £150.00 for timing belt kit. Five hours at £75.00/hour. New anti freeze and incidentalisms. Me pleased all done. 3.25 hours drive in God’s free automatic carwash was utter Hades.
Helmet Action film Armour Art Shield

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Watter pump was NOT extra after all, David….he only forgot to TELL me it was part of the fool price, so pump at £50.00 already in there, £28.00 for accessory belt, approx £150.00 for timing belt kit. Five hours at £75.00/hour. New anti freeze and incidentalisms. Me pleased all done. 3.25 hours drive in God’s free automatic carwash was utter Hades. View attachment 195109
Watter pump was NOT extra after all, David….he only forgot to TELL me it was part of the fool price, so pump at £50.00 already in there, £28.00 for accessory belt, approx £150.00 for timing belt kit. Five hours at £75.00/hour. New anti freeze and incidentalisms. Me pleased all done. 3.25 hours drive in God’s free automatic carwash was utter Hades. View attachment 195109
I get the point Kev, incidentally do you know if they had to take the front bumper off to get to the timing chain. My car goes in on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I get the point Kev, incidentally do you know if they had to take the front bumper off to get to the timing chain. My car goes in on Tuesday.
Asked him about bumper specifically, David…..no was the answer….not involved in belt removal(s).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
thank's Kev its only that I have a headlight washer playing up, it pops out, so the pressure is there, but not spraying.
Maybe best left until such as replacing/upgrading headlight bulbs and have doned then….? Bumper off job.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
So yesterday the XJ went in for its major service and cambelt change at 17,764 miles everything went well, but unlike you Kev they didn't change the antifreeze or water pump, when I did enquire about this, I was told on the three-litre engine they very rarely get problems, with the water pump and the anti-freeze isn't due for replacement yet till ten years old.
This morning just having my first coffee of the day, the phone rings, its Simon service manager at Stratstone Jaguar Nottingham.

David our technician has apparently been awake most of the night thinking about your car, can we collect it for an hour to inspect it. I said who have you had working on my car? an apprentice? is it a case of him packing up to go home he found a part on his bench, and thought where's that from? I Wasn't happy, as we know a mistake changing a cambelt is a ruined engine. I did say I could have taken it to a Jaguar independent garage and saved myself some money, but I wanted to know that it was done to Jaguars standard, and this is what you get. Anyway, it came back after an hour, and for my inconvenience they put £130 worth of diesel in, I have driven a few miles and it seems ok. I neglected to say my final bill was £1,053.18p

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
So yesterday the XJ went in for its major service and cambelt change at 17,764 miles everything went well, but unlike you Kev they didn't change the antifreeze or water pump, when I did enquire about this, I was told on the three-litre engine they very rarely get problems, with the water pump and the anti-freeze isn't due for replacement yet till ten years old.
This morning just having my first coffee of the day, the phone rings, its Simon service manager at Stratstone Jaguar Nottingham.

David our technician has apparently been awake most of the night thinking about your car, can we collect it for an hour to inspect it. I said who have you had working on my car? an apprentice? is it a case of him packing up to go home he found a part on his bench, and thought where's that from? I Wasn't happy, as we know a mistake changing a cambelt is a ruined engine. I did say I could have taken it to a Jaguar independent garage and saved myself some money, but I wanted to know that it was done to Jaguars standard, and this is what you get. Anyway, it came back after an hour, and for my inconvenience they put £130 worth of diesel in, I have driven a few miles and it seems ok. I neglected to say my final bill was £1,053.18p
Bonkers, David….say your water pump goes noisy soon…..all the very same stripdown, and just for a £50.00 pump. As for wanting your car back for an hour..? No explanation…?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Bonkers, David….say your water pump goes noisy soon…..all the very same stripdown, and just for a £50.00 pump. As for wanting your car back for an hour..? No explanation…?
The guy who delivered it back Kev, said he couldn’t remember it he had torqued the fan belt up, but apparently he had, believe that if you would.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The water pump on the 3.0 engine is driven by the auxiliary belt, not the timing belt I believe so not quite a full strip down to get into it.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts