Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Timing Belt and Fuel Pump belts are separate, and both year 7 items.

The aux belt is a year 10 item, but is worth doing at year 7 with the above, as it needs to come off anyway when doing the timing belt above. So worth doing as then you just pay for the part.

(This is for the 3.0D).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sorry tae jump your post, David....can I ask.....As I am about to set in motion the changification of my Timing Belt, are there any other bits and bobs to attend to at same time, e.g. Watter Pump, etc....?
Well Kev it's booked in on Monday for four new tyres, it's still on originals which are starting to crack with age. so, it looks like an expensive time.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
1,210 Posts
Timing Belt and Fuel Pump belts are separate, and both year 7 items.

The aux belt is a year 10 item, but is worth doing at year 7 with the above, as it needs to come off anyway when doing the timing belt above. So worth doing as then you just pay for the part.

(This is for the 3.0D).
Muchos gratitudinalistics, Seamus. How much notice would you guess Paisley guys would need…? Is it usually weeks….?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
JAMES…….EEJIT QUESTION…….so that makes THREE ( 3) belts in total fgs…???

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I am surprised that things like water pumps drive belts, and timing chains/belts have such a short life span on a low mileage car.
It’s not the mileage that is relevant on mine and yours David……it’s the AGE. Seven years for a dod of rubber in a hostile environment like Scotland is none too shabby in fairness. To change all three in pretty much the same locale also makes good sensefulness.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
JAMES…….EEJIT QUESTION…….so that makes THREE ( 3) belts in total fgs…???
Yes.

You can get timing belt done at a different time to the fuel pump belt, but when getting the timing (cam) belt done, get the aux belt changed at the same time - which will save you having to do it at year 10.

If you get quotes for a cam belt change, be aware that is what it is. Doesn’t include the fuel pump belt change.

I got my timing, fuel pump and aux belts all done at the same time. Cost me about £700 at the local Indy.

The ‘A’ service is in addition to the belt changes, so Y7 is an expensive year.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh…..Muck Fee…..I expected a maximum of aboot £450-500……! Really do NOT feel any local indies would do this properly, so Paisley or Perth it may have to be, unless someone on here assures me that although expensive and critical, an average good mechanic SHOULD have the ability….?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yes.

You can get timing belt done at a different time to the fuel pump belt, but when getting the timing (cam) belt done, get the aux belt changed at the same time - which will save you having to do it at year 10.

If you get quotes for a cam belt change, be aware that is what it is. Doesn’t include the fuel pump belt change.

I got my timing, fuel pump and aux belts all done at the same time. Cost me about £700 at the local Indy.

The ‘A’ service is in addition to the belt changes, so Y7 is an expensive year.
Conversation this morning with Douglas at Premier, Paisley……..£560.00 plus VAT. Booked in for 14/11. He changes anti freeze at same time. Y fronts ruined. He will NOT be doing rear mounted Fuel Pump Belt, as he has never seen one go, and it adds quite a bit of time and cash to total price.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Oh…..Muck Fee…..I expected a maximum of aboot £450-500……! Really do NOT feel any local indies would do this properly, so Paisley or Perth it may have to be, unless someone on here assures me that although expensive and critical, an average good mechanic SHOULD have the ability….?
I have the opposite of your view Kev, I feel that there isn't a local main stealer that would do the job properly, but I am lucky I have an excellent Indie within 5 miles of me. Phil

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Conversation this morning with Douglas at Premier, Paisley……..£560.00 plus VAT. Booked in for 14/11. He changes anti freeze at same time. Y fronts ruined. He will NOT be doing rear mounted Fuel Pump Belt, as he has never seen one go, and it adds quite a bit of time and cash to total price.
Ouch. So £700 just for the cam belt

Yes, coolant needs to be changed when doing the cam belt.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Ouch. So £700 just for the cam belt

Yes, coolant needs to be changed when doing the cam belt.
Sorry James…..also doing the Accessory Belt at same time….furgoat….still a shed load of cash but though but…..

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have the opposite of your view Kev, I feel that there isn't a local main stealer that would do the job properly, but I am lucky I have an excellent Indie within 5 miles of me. Phil
Totally concurify, Phil…..would not even ask Park’s Jagwah at Inverness for a price. Cannae even answer the far king phone without 20 rings. Plenty of indie garages around Nairn, but when it comes to things as important as Timing Belts……nah…..forgot to mention also doing accessory belt along with Aunty’s Freeze, so killing a few birds with much coin….lol. Here’s a wee phoaty from a Stevie Wonder concert……. Handwriting Font Sharing Happy Jacket
Handwriting Font Sharing Happy Jacket

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
At least you got a quote Kev, I rang Jagtec early this morning for a quote on a service and timing belt, the Guy who answered the phone said he would ring back with a price, no call back. Doesn't give you much confidence does it.
on the brighter side four new Pirelli fitted £814.00. Will Jagtec ring tomorrow ? who knows.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
At least you got a quote Kev, I rang Jagtec early this morning for a quote on a service and timing belt, the Guy who answered the phone said he would ring back with a price, no call back. Doesn't give you much confidence does it.
on the brighter side four new Pirelli fitted £814.00. Will Jagtec ring tomorrow ? who knows.
Price and fitting date within 15 minutes, David. Plus a fair bit of free advice. Have a look at geographics between where I live, IV12, and where the car is getting fixed, PA3. Nice and local….lol.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,443 Posts

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,443 Posts
P Zeros aren't very favoured on here...... My experience of them hasn't been good, this was with 2 cars bought used, with P Zeros already fitted and part used, and at least 2 years old. My case the tyres were very lacking in grip, as if the compound had "gone off". Mind you, on a 510HP car, it was very easy to spin them or get sideways. When new, P Zeros seem fine, others have said. Plus the compounds keep being changed, so hopefully yours will be fine. Report back in 2 or 3 years time!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
P Zeros aren't very favoured on here...... My experience of them hasn't been good, this was with 2 cars bought used, with P Zeros already fitted and part used, and at least 2 years old. My case the tyres were very lacking in grip, as if the compound had "gone off". Mind you, on a 510HP car, it was very easy to spin them or get sideways. When new, P Zeros seem fine, others have said. Plus the compounds keep being changed, so hopefully yours will be fine. Report back in 2 or 3 years time!
Thank you for the information, I did look at Hankook, and Bridgestone, some said the Bridgestone were noisy. In the end I went back to Pirelli as they were OEM although low mileage 17,000 miles and plenty of tread left, they were beginning to crack, prob par for the course at seven years old. I don't do much winter driving as i have two other cars. One twenty years old petrol Mercedes E class 38,000 miles, and a Peugeot 107 10 years old and10,000 miles both bought new. what tyres are the majority of members using?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
on the brighter side four new Pirelli fitted £814.00. Will Jagtec ring tomorrow? who knows.
Once again today I have not had a reply from Jagtec again I rang and asked why not, the reply I got was they have been too busy, but he has the information now and will get back to me.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts