Jaguar Forum banner

this is how the stealers are trying to con us

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  david arthur 
This is how I've felt for a long time now. It stemmed from my brother's car, since buying it he had religiously put it into the dealer for what must have been 8+ years for servicing. When he came to sell it they couldn't book him in on time so I said that I would do an oil and filter change as the engine was sounding quite rough. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that the engine oil barely came out, even though I had got it nice and hot. The air filter was clearly still the original as well. They had never touched a thing despite the thousands of pounds the received. Absolutely criminal. It was a diesel Civic and being a Honda is probably the only reason it still managed to run.

Another case I've recently seen online is someone who got their DSG fluid changed at the main dealer, ahead of the 40k schedule. It's a critical service item, yet despite this it's treated as optional and won't affect service history - how insane. Anyway, when he got the car back he immediately had transmission problems and couldn't work out why, so he took it back. They said they have now topped the fluid up and it's now working ok. I suspect they only did the first fluid fill and never did the second part where you have to get the fluid to a specific temperature and do a second fill, so it was probably low on fluid and subsequently caused the problems. Who knows what damage may have been caused but it's a pretty straight forward procedure and unforgivable for a main dealer to screw up.

I'll not go near a main dealer unless it's a recall or to buy OEM parts when necessary.
When my dad died I looked through his file for his Jazz. The main dealer had charged him for replacing the rear drums & shoes at every service due to "surface rust" ... hardly a surprising thing to see on the outside of a drum? The mileage between services was less than 2000 miles ffs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.