Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That has even put me off checking my crossover pipe which I hope is fine, but I am getting some fumes in the cabin when started when stood. I pressurized the exhaust with my vac on blow and went around with soapy water, everything looks fine but as you know you cannot get to the crossover pipe to check it. I will check other things first. I can smell it from under the bonnet at the back of the engine, only when cold, definitely exhaust. If you have any thoughts Hamed I would be greatfull.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
That has even put me off checking my crossover pipe which I hope is fine, but I am getting some fumes in the cabin when started when stood. I pressurized the exhaust with my vac on blow and went around with soapy water, everything looks fine but as you know you cannot get to the crossover pipe to check it. I will check other things first. I can smell it from under the bonnet at the back of the engine, only when cold, definitely exhaust. If you have any thoughts Hamed I would be greatfull.
Could it be the flexi joint on the Catalyst that is causing the fumes? Phil

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I checked that Phil with the vac on blow and soapy water around it, I was hoping it was that. Just ran a diagnostic and all looks good. I have 25 grams of DPF soot according to the icarsoft, may do a forced regen and see if it improves. I may pressurize the system and see if it holds pressure, I doubt if it will as the rear end has drain holes. I have been looking around the EGRs but can't see anything.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Don't forget at least one of the cylinders may be on the valve overlap so both valves open so you may not be able to hold much pressure in the exhaust?

Reactions: FCS and Gav

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks Alan I never thought of that. I think I will try a forced re gen as any gaps must be small or I would hear it and it is ok when warmed up. If it is the cross pipe it will probably get worse and then be obvious.

·
Registered
21,862 Posts
Sorry but, crossover? Haven't you got a 3-litre diesel? Did you fit that yourself?
AFAIK, the only point that the left and right exhaust pipes on the V6 diesel come together is through the dpf.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sorry but, crossover? Haven't you got a 3-litre diesel? Did you fit that yourself?
AFAIK, the only point that the left and right exhaust pipes on the V6 diesel come together is through the dpf.
Yes John it is a 3L Diesel. The crossover pipe isn't actually in the exhaust system it joins the 2 turbos/manifold together.
I wish it didn't have one. I can hardly see the damn thing let alone take it off. I really hope that I am wrong and you are correct.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever disconnected exhaust system? Like catalytic converter, dpf or down pipe.
if yes it’s the flexible joint. maybe needs reinstallation. The joint only leaks when pipes are cold. From what I have seen, I doubt crossover will rust. It’s covered in a jacket in a placd that hardly sees any external or internal moisture for an extended time.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Have you ever disconnected exhaust system? Like catalytic converter, dpf or down pipe.
if yes it’s the flexible joint. maybe needs reinstallation. The joint only leaks when pipes are cold. From what I have seen, I doubt crossover will rust. It’s covered in a jacket in a placd that hardly sees any external or internal moisture for an extended time.
No I havn't Hamed. I will take your advice and remove the pipes and cat. That mesh ring should rotate shouldn't it on cat and down pipe. A few people seem to have the crossover pipe problem that's why I suspected it, but have no idea if it is ok or not. Short of removing it I can't think of a way to test it. It is a shame I don't have any smoke machines left as I used to sell them to the disco guy's. That would probably work.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I havn't Hamed. I will take your advice and remove the pipes and cat. That mesh ring should rotate shouldn't it on cat and down pipe. A few people seem to have the crossover pipe problem that's why I suspected it, but have no idea if it is ok or not. Short of removing it I can't think of a way to test it. It is a shame I don't have any smoke machines left as I used to sell them to the disco guy's. That would probably work.
They should move but shouldn’t be loose. If joints and sensors are free from black deposits, I wouldn’t disconnect them. There is a ring around the cat and down pipe bolting them to the gearbox. Ring clamp is in two halves. Just loosen two bolts holding them to gear box. Make sure they are lifted about 5-10mm from the gearbox. Then loosen the clamp and move them about 5-10mm down on the cat and down pipe. Then torque the clamp first. Next torque the bolts to the box. The idea is to push the cat and down pipe about 5mm towards the engine. This will squeeze the mesh ring at flexible joint when it is cold instead of waiting for the thermal expansion to do the job.
you could move the ring by hand but they are very difficult to see.
unfortunately there isn’t much explanation in WM about this. All it says is that you have to torque the clamp ring first before brackets.As you know torquing to spec is necessary. Otherwise after a few dpf regenerations clamp with slip and it starts leaking when cold. I would recommend to start with 5mm and repeat if after torquing the ring was rattling. It shouldn’t rattle. Just be able to rotate.

This worked for me and a few FMs but atleast I had removed the cat and down pipe in the past.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
They should move but shouldn’t be loose. If joints and sensors are free from black deposits, I wouldn’t disconnect them. There is a ring around the cat and down pipe bolting them to the gearbox. Ring clamp is in two halves. Just loosen two bolts holding them to gear box. Make sure they are lifted about 5-10mm from the gearbox. Then loosen the clamp and move them about 5-10mm down on the cat and down pipe. Then torque the clamp first. Next torque the bolts to the box. The idea is to push the cat and down pipe about 5mm towards the engine. This will squeeze the mesh ring at flexible joint when it is cold instead of waiting for the thermal expansion to do the job.
you could move the ring by hand but they are very difficult to see.
unfortunately there isn’t much explanation in WM about this. All it says is that you have to torque the clamp ring first before brackets.As you know torquing to spec is necessary. Otherwise after a few dpf regenerations clamp with slip and it starts leaking when cold. I would recommend to start with 5mm and repeat if after torquing the ring was rattling. It shouldn’t rattle. Just be able to rotate.

This worked for me and a few FMs but atleast I had removed the cat and down pipe in the past.
Thanks Hamed, I will have another good look around those joints, I did go around them with soapy water and saw nothing with engine running and with pressure from the vac on blow. When I had it up on the lift I couldn't smell fumes from below the car but could under the bonnet. If it is the crossover pipe it may be caused by hot/cold stress and not corrosion. There are quite a few on e-bay second hand as if it is a common problem(not worth the advert if not).
Anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Hamed, I will have another good look around those joints, I did go around them with soapy water and saw nothing with engine running and with pressure from the vac on blow. When I had it up on the lift I couldn't smell fumes from below the car but could under the bonnet. If it is the crossover pipe it may be caused by hot/cold stress and not corrosion. There are quite a few on e-bay second hand as if it is a common problem(not worth the advert if not).
Anyway thanks again.
I see the point. Just sharing my thoughts. It’s a bit pain to replace however.I hope it’s not the crossover on your car 🤞even though I am sure you are good at replacing it if needed. Down pipe and cat should come off. Then you gain access to the bracket bolts and manifold nuts. It has to be done from underneath IIRC.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I see the point. Just sharing my thoughts. It’s a bit pain to replace however.I hope it’s not the crossover on your car 🤞even though I am sure you are good at replacing it if needed. Down pipe and cat should come off. Then you gain access to the bracket bolts and manifold nuts. It has to be done from underneath IIRC.
Looks like you were right again Hammed.
Did what you said, tightened up the gap between the flexible down/pipe and cat by using a sash cramp to push the exhaust forward then tighten the clamps. I think it worked. Will see over the next few weeks. I may have gone a bit two far, so may back off a bit to give a bit of a gap, but it is much better. Now don't think I have a cross pipe issue.'Thanks Hammed for your input.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Sounds like good news Fred, it's on my list of things that could do with being looked at too..

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sounds like good news Fred, it's on my list of things that could do with being looked at too..
Cheers Pete.
Those flexible's on mine were loose. I could move them back and forth about quite a bit. Can't move them at all now and it appears I have no problem. So I will back them off a bit to give a bit of a gap and see what happens. It's no big deal with the 2 post.. Or I may leave it alone for a while as I don't go mad in the thing and let it settle down, got to sleep on that logic to figure out what is best. It lives over the two post anyway, so may give it a go tomorrow after the dentist appointment. Josie say's when she sees my name on the list she will do her nut. I said she will probably throw up and go home. You wouldn't believe the shouting and arguing when I'm in there. (I might die , You won't Die, I might, what would you do if it was your dad. You won't die, but I might).

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,062 Posts
Well done Fred and Hammed

Reactions: PeteA and FCS

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Cheers Pete.
Those flexible's on mine were loose. I could move them back and forth about quite a bit. Can't move them at all now and it appears I have no problem. So I will back them off a bit to give a bit of a gap and see what happens. It's no big deal with the 2 post.. Or I may leave it alone for a while as I don't go mad in the thing and let it settle down, got to sleep on that logic to figure out what is best. It lives over the two post anyway, so may give it a go tomorrow after the dentist appointment. Josie say's when she sees my name on the list she will do her nut. I said she will probably throw up and go home. You wouldn't believe the shouting and arguing when I'm in there. (I might die , You won't Die, I might, what would you do if it was your dad. You won't die, but I might).
Good luck with the XF Fred.. and even more good luck with the dentist/Josie tomorrow... ;)

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like you were right again Hammed.
Did what you said, tightened up the gap between the flexible down/pipe and cat by using a sash cramp to push the exhaust forward then tighten the clamps. I think it worked. Will see over the next few weeks. I may have gone a bit two far, so may back off a bit to give a bit of a gap, but it is much better. Now don't think I have a cross pipe issue.'Thanks Hammed for your input.
You are welcome. I am glad it worked. The exhaust pipes on XF are SS. comparing them to my old S-type I doubt they are going to rust. 2.7D had a issue with flexible joint and crossover pipe which is why they used this ring type.
If you are going to readjust it, I would suggest to adjust the force on rings just enough to be able to rotate them by hand (not easily) but have no axial movements.( when pipes are completely cold) This will ensure they are not going to get squeezed and deform permanently during next regeneration. Also when they get cold, gaps will remain tight.
unless you pressed them really hard, I will leave as they are. I believe it’s a maintenance task after 100k because the ring would deform over time or clamps slip under extreme expansions and vibration. eventually gaps become large enough to let the gas out.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You are welcome. I am glad it worked. The exhaust pipes on XF are SS. comparing them to my old S-type I doubt they are going to rust. 2.7D had a issue with flexible joint and crossover pipe which is why they used this ring type.
If you are going to readjust it, I would suggest to adjust the force on rings just enough to be able to rotate them by hand (not easily) but have no axial movements.( when pipes are completely cold) This will ensure they are not going to get squeezed and deform permanently during next regeneration. Also when they get cold, gaps will remain tight.
unless you pressed them really hard, I will leave as they are. I believe it’s a maintenance task after 100k because the ring would deform over time or clamps slip under extreme expansions and vibration. eventually gaps become large enough to let the gas out.
Hammed I thought I would have a go at a how to on this, never done one before so I just had a go see what you think, your views on it will helpful for the next one. Criticism is welcome (will help me next time)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts