Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Whole thing needs doing. That is 4-days worth. They were sparkling on Saturday morning.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
I honestly haven't read the post/s where you detail the solution John.. but I'm glad you got it sorted.. however that was.... :D

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I honestly haven't read the post/s where you detail the solution John.. but I'm glad you got it sorted.. however that was.... :D
Thanks, Pete. But it's a really exciting read.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
You can nudge the tips over by undoing three bolts that hold the silencer box.

But you’d need to remove the tips to access the bolts.

As it’s been pointed out before, there isn’t a single XJ that has left the factory with straight pipes or straight tips.
I hope Riggs isn’t nudging tips over in Benners .

·
Administrator
28,515 Posts
He's probably still enjoying Storm Gloria.

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
They look very similar to my mk2 quads John.

Which reminds me, I should probably stick my Quad 1.0s onto the sale thread.
Not surprising, James. If you remember, I sent you some photos of mine and you said you'd found some identical ones. ;)

Reactions: googsy1

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Not surprising, James. If you remember, I sent you some photos of mine and you said you'd found some identical ones. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . .
:)

I also have a spare Porsche quad (twin?) sitting in the garage. Along with the other mighty trumpets.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
:)

I also have a spare Porsche quad (twin?) sitting in the garage. Along with the other mighty trumpets.
can you perhaps construct some panpipes? I was thinking the first tune should be the A-Team

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Resurrecting this thread because the chirpy thing never went away. Well, not strictly true because the one thing that I HAVE identified is that it's weather related. Dry - no noise; Wet - squeaky-chirrup.
So at least I know it's something NOT in the cabin.
Squeaky suspension bush? Yes, could be although I've doused them all in silicone spray which hasn't helped.
Squeaky exhaust hanger? Yes, could be although I've done the same with them. Also, the noise (which is below the rear, nearside door) seems not to come from where they are. .
And not the door seals. One of my first thoughts and no amount of silicone has any effect.

I need to get the car up in the air as I'm beginning to think it's a loose under-tray or plastic sill fixing.

Any other thoughts would be welcome though.

·
19,190 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because the chirpy thing never went away. Well, not strictly true because the one thing that I HAVE identified is that it's weather related. Dry - no noise; Wet - squeaky-chirrup.
So at least I know it's something NOT in the cabin.
Squeaky suspension bush? Yes, could be although I've doused them all in silicone spray which hasn't helped.
Squeaky exhaust hanger? Yes, could be although I've done the same with them. Also, the noise (which is below the rear, nearside door) seems not to come from where they are. .
And not the door seals. One of my first thoughts and no amount of silicone has any effect.

I need to get the car up in the air as I'm beginning to think it's a loose under-tray or plastic sill fixing.

Any other thoughts would be welcome though.
IS there any other rubber type hangers underneath the car? Is there a Prop shaft bearing support?

Could be a loose wheel arch lining, or even just a bolt missing in those areas.

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
IS there any other rubber type hangers underneath the car? Is there a Prop shaft bearing support?

Could be a loose wheel arch lining, or even just a bolt missing in those areas.
Thanks for the suggestions, Allan. And along my own train of thought.
I've dismissed the prop shaft area as the noise is quite distinctly coming from the rear nearside of the car. The wheel arch liner and / or under-tray fastenings are my next port of call.

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Holy thread re-resurrection, Batman!
Fixed it!! [Celebration emoji]
And before I do the "grand reveal" I want to re-assert that I and everyone I've had in the car, front and rear seats, have maintained that the squeaky-squeaky-chirp-chirp has emanated from beneath the rear N/S quarter of the car.
WRONG!
It was (past tense as I've now dealt with it) . . . . the sun roof!
"And just how did you discover that, John?" I can hear you all asking. Well, I'll tell ya'll seeing as you've asked so nicely.
The other day I was browsing YouTube and came across a review of the XJ and one of the cons (probably the ONLY "con" - let's face it, this is the XJ we're talking about. :D ) mentioned was the sun roof. The pre-MY 2012 car had a problem with rusting tracks which was cured in the later models but it seems they still retained a tendency to squeak/rattle. And while out driving yesterday, gritting my teeth at every squeak, I opened the roof and . . . silence!
So this afternoon, I've cleaned and wiped all of the seals and after a short (necessary journey) test drive, all is peace and quiet again.
Phew!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Excellent detective work Holmes.... ;)

Reactions: OBC John

·
Firm Rampant Member
14,535 Posts
Holy thread re-resurrection, Batman!
Fixed it!! [Celebration emoji]
And before I do the "grand reveal" I want to re-assert that I and everyone I've had in the car, front and rear seats, have maintained that the squeaky-squeaky-chirp-chirp has emanated from beneath the rear N/S quarter of the car.
WRONG!
It was (past tense as I've now dealt with it) . . . . the sun roof!
"And just how did you discover that, John?" I can hear you all asking. Well, I'll tell ya'll seeing as you've asked so nicely.
The other day I was browsing YouTube and came across a review of the XJ and one of the cons (probably the ONLY "con" - let's face it, this is the XJ we're talking about. :D ) mentioned was the sun roof. The pre-MY 2012 car had a problem with rusting tracks which was cured in the later models but it seems they still retained a tendency to squeak/rattle. And while out driving yesterday, gritting my teeth at every squeak, I opened the roof and . . . silence!
So this afternoon, I've cleaned and wiped all of the seals and after a short (necessary journey) test drive, all is peace and quiet again.
Phew!
I did that with mine..
cured it but the rattle still resulted in a complete new frame and mechanism to be fitted.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Nice one. It’s amazing what you can find on YouTube (garage/car/DiY) related.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My first XFR had a rattle, it took some finding, eventually discovered pushing up on the roof lining behind the sun roof stopped it. It sounded as if there was a cable up there that had come loose. Never did fix it, traded the car in.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
You can nudge the tips over by undoing three bolts that hold the silencer box.

But you’d need to remove the tips to access the bolts.

As it’s been pointed out before, there isn’t a single XJ that has left the factory with straight pipes or straight tips.
Alternatively as others have done , wedge a king size mattress between the quads and car underbody .

41 - 60 of 60 Posts