Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started a few weeks back when I began to notice not a rattle but a squeak when I drove over bumps and uneven road surfaces. Sounded for all the world like a loose seat cushion or even one of the headrests moving (rattling) and was certainly behind me.
Cue a programme of removing and refitting the rear seat bolsters and applying tape and foam to ensure they were tight. No improvement.
Rear passenger: "Could it be coming from the boot?"
Cue another programme of removing, retightening, wrapping in cloths, the spare wheel and the styrene moulding it sits on. (This was the new centre of attention as it sounded just like styrene rubbing on the boot floor). No improvement.
Battery mounts? No.
So I'd decided to live with it and just keep the radio on.

Jump forward to yesterday. (Good name for a film!). While washing the car, I noticed that one of the mud flaps was broken, cracked so that it looked OK but a piece at the bottom would be bent backward by the airflow, under the bodywork, when the car was moving.
By chance I had a replacement in my garage (part of set I had to buy some time ago when another one broke) so after 10 minutes, had it swapped.

Went to the supermarket (God! The horror!). And deafening by its absence, the squeak!!

I can only surmise that the loose flap was rubbing on the underside of the bodywork and causing the squeak. Phew!!!

But the strange part of this . . . . . it was the FRONT, nearside mud flap!

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

Reactions: hamedhbb

·
19,220 Posts
It all started a few weeks back when I began to notice not a rattle but a squeak when I drove over bumps and uneven road surfaces. Sounded for all the world like a loose seat cushion or even one of the headrests moving (rattling) and was certainly behind me.
Cue a programme of removing and refitting the rear seat bolsters and applying tape and foam to ensure they were tight. No improvement.
Rear passenger: "Could it be coming from the boot?"
Cue another programme of removing, retightening, wrapping in cloths, the spare wheel and the styrene moulding it sits on. (This was the new centre of attention as it sounded just like styrene rubbing on the boot floor). No improvement.
Battery mounts? No.
So I'd decided to live with it and just keep the radio on.

Jump forward to yesterday. (Good name for a film!). While washing the car, I noticed that one of the mud flaps was broken, cracked so that it looked OK but a piece at the bottom would be bent backward by the airflow, under the bodywork, when the car was moving.
By chance I had a replacement in my garage (part of set I had to buy some time ago when another one broke) so after 10 minutes, had it swapped.

Went to the supermarket (God! The horror!). And deafening by its absence, the squeak!!

I can only surmise that the loose flap was rubbing on the underside of the bodywork and causing the squeak. Phew!!!

But the strange part of this . . . . . it was the FRONT, nearside mud flap!

Good persereranvce there John. Glad you got it fixed.

Now you'll be able to enjoy your XJ in all its silent interior glory.

Reactions: googsy1

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Odd how sound travels through a structure John.

Good to find it and return to the XJ silent wafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, forget all that b*ll*x in my original post. Squeaks back! (It's actually more a "chirrup" than a squeak).
But then why, oh why did it disappear for a while after I'd washed the car?
Door or window seal perhaps. OK when damp but squeaky when dry. The search continues.
But thanks for your responses, gents. The new quads photo will have to wait. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Thought naah, it won't be that but didn't like to say.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I fully appreciate this, my previous Honda CRV had a buzzing coming from behind the passenger seat and i couldn't locate it. Ended up someone else driving whilst I lay on the boot with the rear seats down and pressing my ear all over the place. I traced it to the bottom outside of the rear nearside door and thought it was the lower trim. By chance I nudged my rear mudflap and it turned out a bolt connector had rusted away and the mudflap was buzzing off the bodywork. It was unbelievable how much it sounded like it was coming from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The strangeness continues; Her Greyness has been parked up in the multistory carpark (i.e. under cover) at Birmingham airport for the past 4 days and ever since driving it away last night, no chirpy-chirpy-squeak-squeak. But on past expert, I'm sure it'll return.
What could it be?? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Doesn't she have her own house at home John?

·
19,220 Posts
The strangeness continues; Her Greyness has been parked up in the multistory carpark (i.e. under cover) at Birmingham airport for the past 4 days and ever since driving it away last night, no chirpy-chirpy-squeak-squeak. But on past expert, I'm sure it'll return.
What could it be?? :confused:

Which bit dried out? ;)

Reactions: googsy1

·
Registered
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, return it did. So today I removed the rear seats in a bid to eliminate stuff. Went for a drive and hey presto! no chirpy squeak.
Seats now back in and I think I identified the source - a metal locating lug that had lost its nylon sheath. Now wrapped in insulation tape.
If any fellow XJ owners need a hand removing the rear seat, I now consider myself somewhat of an expert.

Sent from my Galaxy S10 5G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Must be almost as satisfying as changing Triumph Stag timing chains John :D

·
Registered
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Must be almost as satisfying as changing Triumph Stag timing chains John :D
I wouldn't go that far, Geoff. :p
But it was beginning to feel like having a steering wheel in my underpants . . . . driving me nuts!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts