Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thanks, I think it's going to have to remain a happy thought though. The estate is just too convenient, especially for the family, and to be honest I think I've got a well looked after car here (fingers crossed) and future costs are more than tolerable so I'm going to keep her hopefully for a good number of years to come. :)
In case you change your mind there is also a Jag estate with a V8. ;)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
In case you change your mind there is also a Jag estate with a V8. ;)
Aye I know, there was a white and a red one for sale when I was looking to replace my CRV. But at £35k+ it was more than I was willing to spend. Besides, I always have to be aware of the fact that I park on the pavement on a busy road and although I'm in a nice area, but we are flanked by less desirable areas and the scrawny society draining gutter scum pass through and the green eyed monster kicks in. Many neighbour car has been badly keyed but so far I've been fortunate. My wife's previous car along with three others in front had the back windows smashed by chippies. Was raging, glass all over the baby seat but they don't care. Dregs of the community, they have no purpose other than to exist at our great expense. :(

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Interesting video. Also interesting that he mentions/confirms the revision of the parts in 2014.

·
Super Moderator
26,435 Posts
Interesting video. Also interesting that he mentions/confirms the revision of the parts in 2014.
Yeah that's why I posted the link. I've watched Samcrac's videos for a while now and this just popped up today so I thought I'd share it, he rarely has anything that isn't German.

I can only assume mine being an early 2014 car it doesn't have any of these upgrades. Who knows when they actually made it into vehicles. Shrek had tappet issues and his car is a 2015.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Once again makes me happy that I ended up getting a MY18 engine.

This also supports that it's probably worth it to pay for extended warranty for cars with the earlier revisions of the offending parts.

·
Founder member
4,962 Posts

2nd instalment, supercharger snout repair

·
Super Moderator
26,435 Posts
I watched this last night and forgot to post it.

Very interesting actually seeing the failure and the aftermarket fix. They also show the tensioners and chain guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
17,728 Posts

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Why did they need to take the injectors out and if they needed to, why didn’t they attempt it when then heads were off instead of struggling in situ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wonder if the previous owner actually knew it was down to a faulty repair!

Makes me worry even more about doing it as a preventative measure.......
Another chap on Jaguar Forums did it and ended up regretted it saying the wear on the tensioner blade wasn't that severe and he ended up with various fault codes and the timing out after he finished.

I talk to/thank the car a lot, hopefully she'll look after me and decide not to smash her pistons and valves together anytime soon. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
So was it the dealer who fudged it, or was it a DIY mistake?
Interesting and informative vid.
But why oh why does the presenter make the same old stooopid error? Not just once but twice.
At one point he says the bags of new valves are Ford valves. Noooooooo!
Then near the end he says it is a Ford engine. Double Noooooooooooo!
I would have hoped his mate who knows a helluva lot about working on the AJ133 would have corrected him but obviously that never happened.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Interesting and informative vid.
But why oh why does the presenter make the same old stooopid error? Not just once but twice.
At one point he says the bags of new valves are Ford valves. Noooooooo!
Then near the end he says it is a Ford engine. Double Noooooooooooo!
I would have hoped his mate who knows a helluva lot about working on the AJ133 would have corrected him but obviously that never happened.
I had to look it up, it seems that the engine was developed by Jaguar by their people, but they pretty much just leased space within the Ford factory, perhaps explaining the confusion?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Why did they need to take the injectors out and if they needed to, why didn’t they attempt it when then heads were off instead of struggling in situ?
They already knew that the valves on the LHS bank were stuffed and possibly the pistons as well (it so far has turned out that the pistons may be repairable), so the head had to come off. Once the head is taken off it needs to be checked for damage and possibly honed, and to do this the injectors must be removed.
If the injectors are still OK and not damaged beyond repair in theory it is much easier to get them out in situ (leave the head on) using the special JLR injector removal tool.
Our friends tried this twice, using two different (but identical) tools, but still some of those damn injectors would not budge. They were stuck super tight due to burnt on carbon deposits, a common thing on higher mileage AJ133s (and 126s) which has been reported many times on the Yank forum. At least one case reported there of an injector being stuck so tight that wrapping a chain around the injector removal tool and winching it up lifted the whole car off the ground and still the injector would not budge!
So they were forced to take the LHS head off with the three stuck injectors in place and send that head off for repair.
When they tried to get the injectors out of the RHS head the rearmost one would not budge and it eventually broke off.
So that head had to come off as well to get the broken injector out, and they did so by punching it out from the back side.
Putting all that together, yes they could have simply pulled the heads off and punched out all the injectors from the back sides. But that will always destroy the injector(s) and new ones ain't cheap (and they only come as matched sets of four), let alone the labour and parts cost of removing the head(s). Muuuuuuch cheaper if the injectors can be removed in situ with the special tool, cleaned up and refitted!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I had to look it up, it seems that the engine was developed by Jaguar by their people, but they pretty much just leased space within the Ford factory, perhaps explaining the confusion?
Yep, lots of confusion.
Many of our American friends think it is a Ford engine but they are dead wrong.
It was designed in 2008 a few months before JLR was sold by Ford to TATA, so still under Ford ownership at the time.
But it was almost all JLR engineers involved with maybe a bit of Ford input.
Much of the confusion arises because many of the ancillary parts are stamped "FoMoCo" (such as the timing chain tensioners featured in the vid), but that is only because the engine is (and always has been) built at the Ford engine plant in Bridgend, in a separate area set aside for this engine (and the AJ126 V6) under a long term contract with Ford. It makes economic sense to use some Ford parts, but absolutely none of the basic engine parts are shared with or used in any other engines. The contract is set to expire in December this year but who knows it might be extended!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Agreed, super interesting videos.

Yes it's odd with all the Ford engine confusion and I think you Kim have a good explanation there. The FoMoCo ancillaries do confuse people. Another mix-up I saw from some motoring journalist praising the AJ133 was that it was a design from the late 90ies. :rolleyes: Maybe that's another source of confusion - the whole Ford history and that the older (4.0 / 4.2) V8s before the AJ133 maybe had more Ford involvement.

Without the introduction of new engines I really can't see them stopping AJ133 / AJ126 production this year. That would mean no ICE Jaguar with a properly powerful engine with more than 300 horses. :confused: Times are changing but that just seems too unrealistic for the company's survival.

·
Super Moderator
26,435 Posts
Not sure if I posted here or elsewhere but I heard that they were gearing up to build the AJ133 engine is small quantities at the Wolverhampton plant.

I still don’t understand why it’s taking so long to release the “BMW” V8 in a JLR product. I first heard about it testing in an XF back in 2014, that’s 6 years of testing.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Not sure if I posted here or elsewhere but I heard that they were gearing up to build the AJ133 engine is small quantities at the Wolverhampton plant.

I still don’t understand why it’s taking so long to release the “BMW” V8 in a JLR product. I first heard about it testing in an XF back in 2014, that’s 6 years of testing.

Because they have the Ingenium i6 :LOL:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts