Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on Saturday before Christmas, with the car loaded with baggage, presents, family and what else, having just locked the front door and with the car on idle I heard wierd whoosh-whoosh-whooosh´y sound. On closer inspection I found the water pump wheel wobbling more than 5 mm at the perimeter (!). Obvisously a failing water pump. :facepalm4:That is being repaired at the moment, but made me wonder if I've had all the engine-model-related issues there are, except for the timing chain (yet?).

• Failing temperature sensor(s)
  • Cracked plastic tubes in the cooling system - labour-intensive repair...
  • Cracked plastic thermostat housing
  • Failing water pump
  • Timing chain snapping
What else can I expect as the owner of a first-year-in-existence AJ133?

·
Administrator
25,826 Posts
So, on Saturday before Christmas, with the car loaded with baggage, presents, family and what else, having just locked the front door and with the car on idle I heard wierd whoosh-whoosh-whooosh´y sound. On closer inspection I found the water pump wheel wobbling more than 5 mm at the perimeter (!). Obvisously a failing water pump. :facepalm4:That is being repaired at the moment, but made me wonder if I've had all the engine-model-related issues there are, except for the timing chain (yet?).

• Failing temperature sensor(s)
  • Cracked plastic tubes in the cooling system - labour-intensive repair...
  • Cracked plastic thermostat housing
  • Failing water pump
  • Timing chain snapping
What else can I expect as the owner of a first-year-in-existence AJ133?
That's actually a pretty short list & the only thing I can think of to add is the supercharger snout for that variant of the AJ133.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
And the timing chain issues tend to be the tensioners rather than the chain itself.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Ouch, bad luck with the timing there krej.

Yep, that list seems pretty complete and applies to both the AJ133 and AJ126.

The water pump seems to be the most given issue - the first thing the Jag tech mentioned when I got my current car and asked about issues to expect.

As Phil says, any timing chain problems rather seem to be secondary effects of tensioner issues. Kind of like engine damage due to overheating could be a secondary effect of the coolant system or water pump issues.

I guess there's also much more labour involved in fixing the coolant system related issues on supercharged versions because the supercharger often has to come off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's actually a pretty short list & the only thing I can think of to add is the supercharger snout for that variant of the AJ133.
I actually have to disagree that it's a short list, especially when each repair approaches or exceeds €1000, possibly by far. The only engine related problem I've had in the 18 years of car ownership (VWs and Citroën) before the XF was a slow coolant leak that didn't cost much to repair. You can probably tell that I'm quite disappointed in the reliability of my, otherwise exquisite, jaaag.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch, bad luck with the timing there krej.
Well.. I preferred to identify the problem before leaving rather than breaking down in intense holiday traffic.. And my backup Citroën performed just fine, as always, over christmas.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Long list? Spik i foten! as they say in Sweden. ;) Here's the long list:

https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.php?88362-Typical-problems-things-to-check-before-warranty-expiry/page3

I'd say it comes with the type and complexity of the engine and can't quite compare to smaller engines from larger manufacturers. As far as I can see comparable engines from other brands also have their fair share of foibles. I get the impression that the smaller Jaguar engines of the same era (the 2.2D and 2.0T) also are more reliable.

However there is definitely one thing which truly is an utter farce - the design and material choice (plastic :eek:) in above all the coolant system but also other bits like the inlet manifolds.

·
Administrator
25,826 Posts
I actually have to disagree that it's a short list, especially when each repair approaches or exceeds €1000, possibly by far. The only engine related problem I've had in the 18 years of car ownership (VWs and Citroën) before the XF was a slow coolant leak that didn't cost much to repair. You can probably tell that I'm quite disappointed in the reliability of my, otherwise exquisite, jaaag.
Most V6 diesel XF owners face paying for cam covers, an intercooler, cam belts, turbos, turbo actuators & possibly a dpf. It's all ancillary stuff but the costs are eye watering especially if a main dealer is involved.

My current 435d has racked up over £10,000 worth of repairs in 83,000 miles ... and it's back in on Tuesday for an oil leak.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
My current 435d has racked up over £10,000 worth of repairs in 83,000 miles ... and it's back in on Tuesday for an oil leak.
:eek:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Most V6 diesel XF owners face paying for cam covers, an intercooler, cam belts, turbos, turbo actuators & possibly a dpf. It's all ancillary stuff but the costs are eye watering especially if a main dealer is involved.

This. That said it seems to me that the V6 diesels are even more expensive to run over time than the V8/V6 petrols. I must have been lucky though - none of those issues hit me during my 4 years of XFS ownership.

10k in repairs for that 435d! :eek: My wife runs a BMW with the 2 litre diesel since 5 years and it has been (touch wood!) rock solid. But then again that's another engine with less output, less complexity and less pressure on its components and ancillary stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Wow.. (in a bad way, of course)

With this last failure, I've started to loose confidence in the car... which is a pity. The insurance does not cover engine/drive line problems due to age and I do not want to face a timing chain failure. I would love to stay with jag, but with all the issues in the more powerful Jaguar engines... there's nothing left to choose from. :(

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Add manufacturing defects on tappets. Rare, but not unheard of.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
wow, that list was certainly comprehensive. Have to check how many I can tick off...
- bootlid rust
- delaminated windscreen
- fuel flap
- front door rattle
- water pump
- coolant system leaks
- front door leather bubbles
- front reading lights

:rolleyes:
No big surprises there really I'm afraid. The water pump and coolant system can basically be considered as wear and tear on these engines and the rest seems typical for rather early cars like yours. That said, nothing out of the ordinary that really should affect confidence in the car, but of course the feeling of confidence is individual.

I wonder how the reliability and wear and tear of V8s in the 5 series, E class and A6 of the same age looks like.

·
Banned
70 Posts
No big surprises there really I'm afraid. The water pump and coolant system can basically be considered as wear and tear on these engines and the rest seems typical for rather early cars like yours. That said, nothing out of the ordinary that really should affect confidence in the car, but of course the feeling of confidence is individual.

I wonder how the reliability and wear and tear of V8s in the 5 series, E class and A6 of the same age looks like.
Good point they will also have problems i bet

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Good point they will also have problems i bet
Yep. At least a quick google suggests that comparable BMW V8s are far from trouble free. Seems like not only Jags suffer from failing water pumps and plastic auxillary pipes.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would love a 5.0 V8 Jag, it would probably be ideal for my short commutes. But the timing chain and tensioner issues alone are enough to scare me off. I would make a presumption that the IS-F would be a safer choice?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
My grandson has a Mercedes C class.about 3 years old. Looks beautiful. He shows off in it-- and why not ?
BUT his gearbox suddenly disintegrated....£3,500... Ouch !

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ninjag - The ISF is a lot of fun, but the Jag V8 is much more of a car. I'm on my 3rd Jag V8 with no engine problems.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Ninjag - The ISF is a lot of fun, but the Jag V8 is much more of a car. I'm on my 3rd Jag V8 with no engine problems.
Thanks, I think it's going to have to remain a happy thought though. The estate is just too convenient, especially for the family, and to be honest I think I've got a well looked after car here (fingers crossed) and future costs are more than tolerable so I'm going to keep her hopefully for a good number of years to come. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts