Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove down to see my parents today and I was getting an intermittent belt like squeal, pulling up to theirs I noticed some smoke from under the bonnet and coming through the front grille. Popped the bonnet and loads of coolant has escaped…

All over the bottom of the engine bay which I would expect but it’s somehow found it’s way to the underside of the bonnet and near the supercharger.

Jaguar assist promptly called out, should be here within the next 2 hours. Hopefully it’s a quick/under warranty fix.

• Wow
Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Bu99er!

Hope it's a quick and hassle free fix Saqib!

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
Fingers crossed, Saqib. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
30,909 Posts
Reckon you have lost a hose or a coupling there. Fingers crossed its an easy fix.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Commando..

Just sayin'... ;)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jag assist came out. Couldn’t see anything obvious but said it seems to be coming from the water pump area. Car will be recovered to home and then to MK on Monday.

Need to try and sort a loaner in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The water pump was replaced a few years ago so I’d be surprised if it’s the pump itself that’s gone again but who knows.

As long as the warranty covers the problem I’m not complaining.

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,929 Posts
Also check the expansion tank hose/pipe (shown in the first/top pic), in particular the other end (not the tank end) where it splits into two thin plastic tubes that then plug into two different larger coolant pipes across the front of the engine. Those little tubes are prone to go brittle with age and crack/split, one of them on my F-Type did that a few years ago. A new replacement hose was fairly cheap and easy enough to fit.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also check the expansion tank hose/pipe (shown in the first/top pic), in particular the other end (not the tank end) where it splits into two thin plastic tubes that then plug into two different larger coolant pipes across the front of the engine. Those little tubes are prone to go brittle with age and crack/split, one of them on my F-Type did that a few years ago. A new replacement hose was fairly cheap and easy enough to fit.
Finally home. Initial call was made at 5pm, got the car home at 12:30am!

Thanks Kim will take a look in the morning.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Finally home. Initial call was made at 5pm, got the car home at 12:30am!

Thanks Kim will take a look in the morning.
Easy to check if one of those two little hoses has cracked/split.
1. Top up the expansion tank with coolant.
2. Run the engine until it is warm.
3. While the engine is running gently wiggle those little tubes watching for leaks. If a small crack maybe just drips, if a larger crack you will get coolant spraying out. Make sure you wiggle only gently otherwise you risk cracking the tube right through/off and that would be game over!
Obviously while you are conducting this test you can and should look for leaks anywhere and everywhere that is a prime suspect, eg the seam in the top cross-over pipe unless you have already had that pipe changed to the later one-piece design.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,887 Posts
doesnt the v8 suffer from a failed valley pipe? Hope it’s not this!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
doesnt the v8 suffer from a failed valley pipe? Hope it’s not this!
The AJ133 V8 and the AJ126 V6 have the exact same coolant system and tubes/hoses/pipes and they both suffer from a plethora of cracked and split tubes/hoses/pipes, including those known as the valley pipe(s).
There are two valley pipes in each, both in the V under the SC (ie in the valley), one at the front and one at the rear.
On the earlier engines they were made of two pieces with the seams plasti-welded together then around 2016 they were replaced with much better one piece pipes.
Same with the large cross-over pipe on the top/front of the engine.
It is those seams splitting/cracking which are the main problem.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Getting hold of a hire car is seemingly more difficult than finding the source of the leak!

I’ve had to call jag assist/enterprise 11 times to try and get a car sorted and even now it’ll probably be 8pm at the earliest that I’ll get one.

No plans today but I do need it tonight for tomorrow.

• Sad
Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Hope the situation changes soon Saqib!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts