Jaguar Forum banner

Strange brake wear

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Phil1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have had a set of EBC discs and yellow stuff pads replaced on my Jaguar XFR-S with the help of ChrisSB.

When they were removed, we found a very strange wear pattern on the inner face of the disc where it seems the outer edge of the disc has worn less than the rest of the disc and the pad has seen more wear at the top than the rest of the pad. The outer face of the discs and pads have worn uniformly. This is the same across both left and right sides. I have attached pictures of it too.

I emailed EBC, they wanted the discs and pads back to investigate but I’ve binned them (appropriately). They then replied and said,

“If the car is totally standard, I would recommend you have your front suspension geometry checked, we manufacture our discs to OEM dimensions, so unless you have a non-standard braking setup, we can pretty confidently rule out that this is a product issue.

It looks as though something isn't quite right, which is causing extra force to be placed on your uprights/discs/pads, causing this uneven wear.”

I didn’t think a geo would affect how the braking system works? The OEM discs and pads had 33k on them and wore properly as expected. My first set of EBC discs and pads only lasted 24k miles. That’s reasonable enough for pads but I feel that’s a very fast wear rate for the discs?

Wear pattern wise, I’ve never seen anything like it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused it?

See less See more
#4 ·
Poor initial fitting :rolleyes: 😂 🎣

The outer edge appears to have been binding continuously. I can't see how any geometry of the caliper would affect it as they're supposed to float slightly to take that into account.

Reactions: ChrisSB
#5 ·
That’s my guess [emoji23]

The weirdness of the wear is that it’s just limited to the outer edge. I’ve never seen pads or discs wear like that, especially with a floating calliper design. I’d expect the uneven wear to be side to side (inner vs outer pad) rather than the outer 20mm.

It’ll be interesting to see how the next set wear.

EBC seem to be quick to blame the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Depending on how this set goes, I may do the same. They were quick to blame anything other than the products, it may have been a different story after they investigated had I kept them but I would hazard a guess that it wouldn’t.

#8 ·
Why's that Jake?

#11 ·
Same as Saqib’s experience. They were quick to blame everything except their product when I had some pretty major run-out on their discs.

I ran for quite a while on OE discs and pads with no problems (except dust).

Then on running EBC discs and red stuff pads, I got the dreaded braking judder which I had never experienced at all before. Traced back to high run-out on the discs, which I then got skimmed (another story there), and then some new red stuff pads.

I do like the bite and feel of the combo, and the low dust of the pads - but I ended up with man maths dictating that it was cheaper to get the discs skimmed than to get new discs all-round, and then new red stuff pads to match.

The discs are very expensive.

#9 ·
I’ve been perfect happy with their pads. First time using their discs so I’ll see how my wear goes.

#10 ·
Me also too forbye……EBC Pads on front are great and nearly dust free, fitted to original discs from JLR at 9k miles. Much better and more positive “feel” to braking. Original JLR pads were still like new and had not even started to make a disc wear ridge. 6k later the EBCs have created a wear ridge and as stated much less dust on newly refurbed front wheels…..win/win.
Will fit EBC pads again nae bother, but based on this Molder and Scully strange wear, will avoid their discs.

#12 ·
EBC disks are cheap compared to OEM ones.

#16 ·
I had the same when I bought my xf. the inner pads were wearing the same. The problem was that the pads were the wrong ones, the spring clip on the inner pad was forcing the pad to bind on the upper part of the caliper. Being a tight sod I machined them up to the correct spec as they were new. Check for binding of the inner pad. Pads are stamped out on a machine and left with rough edges. I always machine them up and clean up and round off the calipers for a smooth fit. They should run smoothly in the caliper with no binding at all. When I service my car at 6000 miles I also remove the pads and clean them up, if I see a problem in the disc I spin the up in my lathe, hence I don't get the problems most people get on here, judder etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.