Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wotsha Chaps and Chapesses.....bear with as really need input. You may remember late last year I opted to fit Yokohama Winter tyres to front, had problem with balance, returned car and the replaced a new tyre with another new tyre, which improved things, but STILL there was a wee vibration. All got put on hold due to bowel cancer successful removal and Christmas pish. But vibration to steering wheel started to annoy me again.
Took it back and they checked both on their Hunter Road Force balancing machine, and made a minor adjustment, which has made things slightly effing worserer fgs......!!
Young chap very helpful, and phoned an XJ friend, who said to have balljoints/and or suspension looked at when possible as “there was a known problem” with these wearing. I would expect such a problem to produce a clunk, not a steering wheel shake.....?
I am willing to even change the front discs in case one of these is running untrue, but don’t want to emulate dealers who just chuck parts at a problem in the hope a cure is found. Disc wear ridge tiny.
Anybody see anything obvious I am missing? No extra vibration on braking anymore.....that has gone away......new waste of money EBC pads to fit as car only done 10.5k miles and pads are fine......bought for less dust tbh.
Thanks in advancefulness.......supposed luxury cars shouldnae bliddy do this......lol........!!! At a time ah cannae get a haircut, this problem been handy......removing hair by hand.......

·
Registered
17,185 Posts
LOL! If nothing else, reading your posts is very entertaining!

But can I offer anything helpful? I don't think I can save for saying it really points to the wheel or wheels being out of balance. I have never had one of them-there, fancy-pants road-force balancing jobbies. So for what it's worth, I'd say take it to a reputable tyre fitter (maybe not kwik-fit or the like but perhaps an independent) and get the fronts balanced from scratch.
'Cus you're right, your luxuary saloon should be vibe-free at all speeds.
Edit: Scrap that. Get them ALL balanced from scratch.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suspect anurra duff tyre, John......exactly my thinking.......somebody else to look at and reportify.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Kev, in the first instance I'd swop rear to front, if the symptoms change then check tyres/wheel for true and check the balance

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I'd imagine a wearing balljoint could show itself as a steering vibration at certain speeds Kev. Think of the shopping trolly with the dodgy wheel, at very low speeds, pulling away from the rack, it's fine, but the minute you get up to speed in the aisles, the bugger shakes like billy-o :)

As you say, a properly worn one will clunk over bumps.

A very rusty disc, with sitting around, can take a few miles to clear to a shine around all 360 degrees. Under the pad will have been clean, the rest rusty, giving a wobble effect. Used to happen on my x250 most mornings for the first few miles.

·
Registered
17,185 Posts
Kev, in the first instance I'd swop rear to front, if the symptoms change then check tyres/wheel for true and check the balance
They're staggered wheels, Gav.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
so they won't fit under the front arches? if not swap them from left to right

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I had several XR4x4s in the past, which were awful for getting the balance right.

Firstly ensure the balancer sets the machine to 1g and not the default 5g Balance weight.

if that fails, then insist on a nut balancer where they secure the wheel to the balancer via the wheel nuts, and not the wheel centre. That does annoy them though.

if that fails then it’s a wheel-on-the-car balance. Need to mark the position afterwards.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Any chance of “borrowing” 2/4 wheels with different tyres from someone nearby and see if the problem goes?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Oh dear, buying cheapo tyres and getting issues? Get something quality and big smiles will result.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh dear, buying cheapo tyres and getting issues? Get something quality and big smiles will result.
Since when were Yoko's cheap tyres? They're upper mid range at the very least.
I had this issue on my car. It turned out to be a small buckle in the wheel. Front to back, problem sorted. You really need to get those wheels swapped out to see if that's the cause. If they can't go front to back because of the stagger why don't you try a wheel refurbishing place? Some of them loan wheels during the refurbishment. Explain your situation to them and ask if they will loan you wheels for a small fee. £50 maybe?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Am I missing something, like Yokohamas being called cheap tyres....? All input to date being digested by my auld brain, and the swapping out of wheels is winning. MANY THANKS for all replies to date. Took it for a 78mph jaunt......vibration increasing with illegal speeds.....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
As others have said, probably a wheel or tyre out of shape or wheel not flat on its hub. Can you jack it up and spin it each side to try and spot something? Also these problems are more noticeable if there is wear in any of the joints, so might be a combination of more than one thing.

·
Founder member
4,962 Posts
As others have said, probably a wheel or tyre out of shape or wheel not flat on its hub. Can you jack it up and spin it each side to try and spot something? Also these problems are more noticeable if there is wear in any of the joints, so might be a combination of more than one thing.
Wear on the joints it’s only done 10k max,sounds more like an out of shape tyre from sitting too long.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
I don’t suppose a wheel weight has fallen off one of the wheels?

I’ve had this happen to me 3 times - one self-inflicted(jet washer), and the other two times the sticky came unstuck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tyres are ALL new guys, from winter 2019, but that does not preclude a tyre fault.....one was swapped out after a few days as was found to be out of round. The fact they are all cold weather tyres, so of a softer compound, may not be helping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts