Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wotsha Mins,

Most times when pulling the ( effing cheap plastic imho) door handles, they tend to stick in the “pulled oot position” after removing one’s hand, and if this goes unnoticed momentarily, bliddy handle springs shut with the power of a bear trap and a Hiroshima type bang. Have squirted WD41 into hinged area of them, but this tends to work for a short while then problem returns. Handles should be chromed metal if ye ask me.
Since WD is a wee bit volatile, I fear spraying too much in case I bridge a couple of lekky wires in handle.
Any guidefulness.....?

·
Registered
344 Posts
WD products are water displacers and not lubricators. These products, and to some extent the silicone sprays such as GT85, have very little in the way of lubrication but they do a great job in unseizing things. You could try a very small amount of 3 in 1 oil. Apply it very sparingly around the moving parts of the door handle and keep a paper tissue underneath the handle to mop up any excess. The only down side with proper oils is that they tend to attract dirt but a small amount strategically placed should be fine.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Don't mix lubricants Kev without doing your best to flush out with IPA or suchlike..

Agree with the previous two posts.. (y)

Reactions: FCS, Gav and BigKev

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
I had mine repaired under warranty a few years ago. They shaved a little bit off the handle, as per (apparently) the technical bulletin.

I forgot about the handle merriment. Not as much fun as the non-closing door problem in the winter.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I fixed mine sometime last year having given up on sprays and other potions. Took the handle of and lightly lubricated the contact area's with red grease.

This video explains how: DOOR HANDLE REMOVAL

Go to 4.45 minutes for the relevent information and DO NOT unsrew the screw anymore than 4 or 5 turns and better still check if you can remove the handle as you proceed. If I remember correctly mine took about 3.5 turns to release the handle. Obviously this video is for XF but I would imagine the same for your car but apologies if it is not.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fixed mine sometime last year having given up on sprays and other potions. Took the handle of and lightly lubricated the contact area's with red grease.

This video explains how: DOOR HANDLE REMOVAL

Go to 4.45 minutes for the relevent information and DO NOT unsrew the screw anymore than 4 or 5 turns and better still check if you can remove the handle as you proceed. If I remember correctly mine took about 3.5 turns to release the handle. Obviously this video is for XF but I would imagine the same for your car but apologies if it is not.
Thanks Brian......will take this in later after football in Glesga.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks a million, Brian......if same for XJ will let you know......can’t get it done just now as helping animal lover neighbour Noah build a bliddy boat for them.....!
Not entirely sure what to do with handle once I get it out though. Certainly not up for shaving bits off it......lol.....! Cannae find ma Surform anywayz.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Thanks a million, Brian......if same for XJ will let you know......can’t get it done just now as helping animal lover neighbour Noah build a bliddy boat for them.....!
Not entirely sure what to do with handle once I get it out though. Certainly not up for shaving bits off it......lol.....! Cannae find ma Surform anywayz.
Whilst the handle is off, could it be a good opportunity to spray something into the locking mechanism areas to prevent the rather annoying -3 degrees C freezing problem? Unless that's just an XF thing.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Whilst the handle is off, could it be a good opportunity to spray something into the locking mechanism areas to prevent the rather annoying -3 degrees C freezing problem? Unless that's just an XF thing.
That’s an XJ thing too. Mine was sorted with new bowden cables that had actual proper insulation around them.

Apparently water would freeze inside the old design, causing the cable to stick, which would result in the door lock staying in the open position - and the doors bouncing off the latch when trying to close them, like a Vic and Bob sketch.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That’s an XJ thing too. Mine was sorted with new bowden cables that had actual proper insulation around them.

Apparently water would freeze inside the old design, causing the cable to stick, which would result in the door lock staying in the open position - and the doors bouncing off the latch when trying to close them, like a Viv and Bob sketch.
Ah, so it is the actual bowden cables! That's good to know because I bought some new foam tubing for them at the start of this year, but never got around to fitting. Will add this to the list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts