Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XF 2.0D Portfolio
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my X260 for a couple of weeks now and generally very happy with it.

The only problem I’ve had is with the start/stop not working from day one. The dealer (non Jag ) has been very good and gave me a nice Volvo courtesy car while they dealt with the issue.

To cut a long story short. The fault actually turns out to be caused by the Air Conditioning gas being too low. Apparently this stops the compressor from running and for some reason inhibits the stop/start. All without throwing up any DTC's.

After checking the integrity of the system it was re-gassed and all is now well with my SS. Just thought I’d share this, as it may well be worth checking your air con is functioning if a problem starts to develop with SS.

Also worked out pretty good for me, because as a consequence of the mechanic running various tests it was also discovered the battery was borderline and an ABS sensor was intermittent. Both have now been replaced under warranty with genuine expensive Jaguar parts. :)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I would be more inclined to suspect its changing the battery that has sorted the S/S, not the re-gas.

·
Registered
2017 XF 2.0D Portfolio
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be more inclined to suspect its changing the battery that has sorted the S/S, not the re-gas.
No the battery was changed last week and didn't work. Only had the air con done today and it was an instant fix. I did cut the story short by leaving out the middle bit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
did they put the air con under a vacuum for approx 15mins just to if it had any leaks?
& when they filled the gas, did they install a dye?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I can understand that. If the air con system is demanding a lower temp than it actually is, the stop start will not work until that temp is reached. Just as the demand on the air con is not supplied until the engine coolant has reached a certain temp for emission control efficiency etc.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
did they put the air con under a vacuum for approx 15mins just to if it had any leaks?
& when they filled the gas, did they install a dye?
How would he know?

Reactions: Carpo and FCS

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have my own set of gauges. I put mine on vacuum for 1 and a half hours, then get it re gassed at Kwikfit I know they only vac it for 15 mins. A long vac dries the system out better. Vacuuming does not work well for finding leaks as I found out to my horror. The new gasses are very searching. Filling with nitrogen at working pressure and going around with soapy water is the best method, if you use air you have a long vac again to get out the moisture.

·
Registered
37 Posts
January's own manuals state that the maximum rate of leakage of the aircon is 3% per year. My son has an XE and the aircon stopped working just before the 3 year warranty expired. The dealer tried to charge for a refill after saying it was empty. I successfully argued that how could that be at less than 3 year old when 91% should still be there. They refilled foc and added tracer dye as there was obviously a leak. We kept checking and after 3 weeks identified the dye traces on a Pipe under the coolant reservoir. Back to dealer who diagnosed a leak at the pipe joint and duly replaced pipe and recharged again. Recharges of this new gas are pricey so you have to find leaks, especially under warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
January's own manuals state that the maximum rate of leakage of the aircon is 3% per year. My son has an XE and the aircon stopped working just before the 3 year warranty expired. The dealer tried to charge for a refill after saying it was empty. I successfully argued that how could that be at less than 3 year old when 91% should still be there. They refilled foc and added tracer dye as there was obviously a leak. We kept checking and after 3 weeks identified the dye traces on a Pipe under the coolant reservoir. Back to dealer who diagnosed a leak at the pipe joint and duly replaced pipe and recharged again. Recharges of this new gas are pricey so you have to find leaks, especially under warranty.
Vacuum didn't show this leak.

·
Registered
MY2018 x260 XFS in Essex White
36 Posts
So pleased you posted this, I believe I have exactly the same issue! S/S barely functioning so battery changed, but didn't realy help the issue. Subsequently discovered that the A/C has failed, so after a few days turned it off. Et voila...as soon as the A/C was off the S/S kicked in and is working as intended.
Car is currently with dealership to have A/C repaired, hopefully under warrenty. Car electrics can be so quirky at times.

·
Registered
2017 XF 2.0D Portfolio
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So pleased you posted this, I believe I have exactly the same issue! S/S barely functioning so battery changed, but didn't realy help the issue. Subsequently discovered that the A/C has failed, so after a few days turned it off. Et voila...as soon as the A/C was off the S/S kicked in and is working as intended.
Car is currently with dealership to have A/C repaired, hopefully under warrenty. Car electrics can be so quirky at times.
Glad to know that this thread helped.
I recon it’s 99% certain that your SS problem is AC related. Agree about car electrics.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,260 Posts
Interestingly I was out in the car today and as soon as I turned off the a/c the SS engaged :unsure:

·
Registered
37 Posts
When the leak is from an o ring joint, it can be that it leaks only under pressure and when under vacuum the o ring seals instead.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
That’s got me slightly concerned. I was told the garage did a vacuum test, but I've no idea if dye was added.

I'm slightly concerned. Will have to keep an eye on it.
@J-Moo hows your a/c holding up? Any leaks?

·
Registered
2017 XF 2.0D Portfolio
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@J-Moo hows your a/c holding up? Any leaks?
All seems good so far.
The air con has been blowing cold during the mini heatwave we've had the past couple of days and the Start/Stop has if anything, been working too well.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
All seems good so far.
The air con has been blowing cold during the mini heatwave we've had the past couple of days and the Start/Stop has if anything, been working too well.
So for you it just needed topped up, I was wondering if you had a small leak...

·
Registered
2017 XF 2.0D Portfolio
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So for you it just needed topped up, I was wondering if you had a small leak...
Yes I've been wondering about that as well.
Its only been a few weeks so I guess there is still plenty of time before a small leak becomes apparent to the end user.

·
Registered
2015 - XF (x260) - Portfolio D
32 Posts
hi, great tip will look into this but my stop start doesn’t work whether the AC is on or off and battery has got charge.
Did yours work without AC being on ?

Had my X260 for a couple of weeks now and generally very happy with it.

The only problem I’ve had is with the start/stop not working from day one. The dealer (non Jag ) has been very good and gave me a nice Volvo courtesy car while they dealt with the issue.

To cut a long story short. The fault actually turns out to be caused by the Air Conditioning gas being too low. Apparently this stops the compressor from running and for some reason inhibits the stop/start. All without throwing up any DTC's.

After checking the integrity of the system it was re-gassed and all is now well with my SS. Just thought I’d share this, as it may well be worth checking your air con is functioning if a problem starts to develop with SS.

Also worked out pretty good for me, because as a consequence of the mechanic running various tests it was also discovered the battery was borderline and an ABS sensor was intermittent. Both have now been replaced under warranty with genuine expensive Jaguar parts. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts