Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't know when they were last changed, and I know they are a "consumable", Buttercup needed to have some new timing chains prior to her Le Mans adventure, and I started today. Soon as I took off the cam covers, I could see the hydraulic timing chain tensioners were fully extended, a sure sign that the chains and guides need changing.

I will document this over the next couple of weeks (I am not exactly rushing over this, lol). Today was just draining the coolant and removing the parts on top of the engine that need to be out of the way. Taking the bonnet off makes life easier.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
30,205 Posts
Since I don't know when they were last changed, and I know they are a "consumable", Buttercup needed to have some new timing chains prior to her Le Mans adventure, and I started today. Soon as I took off the cam covers, I could see the hydraulic timing chain tensioners were fully extended, a sure sign that the chains and guides need changing.

I will document this over the next couple of weeks (I am not exactly rushing over this, lol). Today was just draining the coolant and removing the parts on top of the engine that need to be out of the way. Taking the bonnet off makes life easier.
Nice little job Wilf and will keep you out of trouble for a while, but what happened to the self draining system fitted to all stags?

Reactions: googsy1

·
Registered
657 Posts
Will you use the (apparently) better quality German made chains Wilf? It's a fair bit of work, so probably worth using the best you can obtain.

Very clean engine bay - looks good.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Wish my MG engine bays were as clean as Buttercups.

This will be an nice project to watch Wilf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Looking forward to this one Wilf!.. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,306 Posts
Good start Wilf, I find the "putting it back together" more satisfying.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good luck with the chains, Wilf. A nice "easy" job to do and you'll fell so much better now they are replaced.

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Auto part Vehicle Engine Motor vehicle Auto part Yellow Vehicle Engine @Lawrence - yes the "Iwis" chains will be used (already bought along with every nut, bolt, washer, and gasket I cold possibly need!).

Anyway - a fruitful hour this morning before the current Mrs Wilf and I wander off to a local hostelry for lunch (hopefully not entirely liquid but quite possibly mainly so). Radiator out, alternator out, electrical and mechanical cooling fans off. The 3 foot stilsons needed to get the crank pulley nut off (Windy gun wouldn't touch it) are a touch overkill, and I fancied I heard Buttercup whimper just a little when I got them out.
Last picture - crank pulley nut loosened, and pretty much everything off ready for the timing chest to come out. Have already identified one bolt that thinks it will defeat me - I will get biblical on its ass at a later date. :cool: I already know the crank pulley will slip off easily from the last time I was along this way - replacing the cooling fan viscous coupling. Need it on for now to get her lined back up on TDC No 2 cylinder (yes it is No 2 that is the cylinder used for all timing).

Amazing how mucky it is in the darker recesses of this engine bay, lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,306 Posts
Need it on for now to get her lined back up on TDC No 2 cylinder (yes it is No 2 that is the cylinder used for all timing).
That's because it's the one closest to the front I believe?

·
Apostrophe Monitor
7,420 Posts
View attachment 175454 View attachment 175456 @Lawrence - yes the "Iwis" chains will be used (already bought along with every nut, bolt, washer, and gasket I cold possibly need!).

Anyway - a fruitful hour this morning before the current Mrs Wilf and I wander off to a local hostelry for lunch (hopefully not entirely liquid but quite possibly mainly so). Radiator out, alternator out, electrical and mechanical cooling fans off. The 3 foot stilsons needed to get the crank pulley nut off (Windy gun wouldn't touch it) are a touch overkill, and I fancied I heard Buttercup whimper just a little when I got them out.
Last picture - crank pulley nut loosened, and pretty much everything off ready for the timing chest to come out. Have already identified one bolt that thinks it will defeat me - I will get biblical on its ass at a later date. :cool: I already know the crank pulley will slip off easily from the last time I was along this way - replacing the cooling fan viscous coupling. Need it on for now to get her lined back up on TDC No 2 cylinder (yes it is No 2 that is the cylinder used for all timing).

Amazing how mucky it is in the darker recesses of this engine bay, lol.
You need a word with Thor.... that quarter pound cross peen hammer not going to shift much, if you're in need of 3ft stilsons

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't worry Colin, I have (much) larger hammers if needed. And yes Geoff, No 2 is the furthest forward, so first crank throw I guess.

After a (fairly) liquid lunch, I decided to not do much more in the garage other than clear up, but couldn't resist taking off the crank pulley, just to show a little progress. And this is how Buttercup will now languish for a few days, as I am working tomorrow, then Christmas-ing after that.

Attachments

·
20,074 Posts
Nice wee project Wilf.

Should keep you out of trouble - well out from under Mrs Wilf's feet;)

Keep the pictory coming along.

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bolt that wouldn't budge is now more, or rather its head has been reduced to iron filings by the robust application of a die grinder. It (should) pass through the timing cover and be threaded into the front face of the block. I hope. Every other fastener for the timing cover is now out - maybe tomorrow I shall attempt to get it to move. This afternoon the current Mrs Wilf and I are wandering into Leicester for a nice Italian late lunch.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,306 Posts
Looks like that's going to be a challenge if the stud is seized in the casing Wilf :eek:

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is what large hammers are for, lol.

·
20,074 Posts
The bolt that wouldn't budge is now more, or rather its head has been reduced to iron filings by the robust application of a die grinder. It (should) pass through the timing cover and be threaded into the front face of the block. I hope. Every other fastener for the timing cover is now out - maybe tomorrow I shall attempt to get it to move. This afternoon the current Mrs Wilf and I are wandering into Leicester for a nice Italian late lunch.
How are you proposing to remove that stud? Eazy-outs?

File flats onto the remains of the stud and spanner out?

Or grind a slot in for a screwdriver?

Reactions: googsy1

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
That is what large hammers are for, lol.
And heat....

I remember that feeling removing the anti roll bar on the GT. Stripped a bolt head and ended up drilling and tapping for a metric bolt as I no grip in the threaded part.

Hopefully will be a much easier removal Wilf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How are you proposing to remove that stud? Eazy-outs?

File flats onto the remains of the stud and spanner out?

Or grind a slot in for a screwdriver?
None of the above - it is actually a 3" long or so bolt that has seized somewhere - hopefully in the block where the actual thread is, so the timing cover "should" slide along it. Then I will have a 3" long stud to try to work out. Ideally I would weld a nut to it, but lack welding gear!

If it won't move (and doesn't stop the timing cover from coming off) then I will cut it down and use it as a "dowel", then re-thread the actual timing cover itself for a slightly larger but shorter bolt to hold the alternator bracket. The cover is stiff enough to go without one of its fixings I suspect.

This will play out over the next day or so.............

1 - 20 of 144 Posts