Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
As you perhaps know by now, the thing on the drive looks like a piece of the gasket/seal from around the vent. Mine also broke up like this but you have to buy the whole vent complete with seal for the sum of just over £20 for both, from Jaguar. I replaced both and it has fixed the issue. There are no removable rubber bungs in by boot, only the metal parts, so I think it is safe to say someone has been trying to create a drain at some point by pulling these out. Even with an open hole under the boot floor I doubt much water would get in unless you drove through a flood. It is more likely to run in as it runs off the car body or windows. Isn't the other metal 'bung' you found from the hole near the air tank mount?
Hi Ant. Both loose ones are rubber. I have found no holes in the wheel well. The one drain hole and bung I have found (in first batch of photos) there is no body paint on it, but both loose ones have full body paint/clearcoat applied.

However I am beginning to suspect that they might be surplus. My car has the Jaguar stowable towbar system, but I don't know if it's factory fit or dealer. If the latter, might they have been displaced to install wiring/grommets to the towbar electrics?

Did you do all of this without taking the bumper off? If so, then this is certainly my job for the weekend! Cheers.
Yes indeed. With the lamp unit out - which was a b'stard of a job to get at the fixing nuts (3 of) through the gaps in the side panelwork - you can get your hand down the gap between the rear bodywork and the bumper moulding. Just. :)

@corned That black canister at the left side of your first photo is an intake filter/exhaust silencer for the air suspension compressor, it has a cylinder of foam in it that's probably wet if you've had much water in, well worth un-clipping the cap pulling the foam out, and getting it dry, otherwise the water will damage your air suspension compressor.
I wondered what that canister was for! Thanks for the tip-off. I'll look at that straight away. Thank you.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Just had the canister apart. The foam filter was slightly damp on its lower edge, so it's now in the airing cupboard for the rest of the day to dry out.

Thanks again for the tip-off, Phil (y)(y)(y)

Just had the canister apart. The foam filter was slightly damp on its lower edge, so it's now in the airing cupboard for the rest of the day to dry out.

Thanks again for the tip-off, Phil (y)(y)(y)
Glad to hear you're getting it dried out, the one in my car was still quite damp ~6 months later when the compressor failed. In fact I suspect a bit of water escaping from the filter from time to time was what had me convinced I still had a leak for quite a while as even after quite a bit of driving with the aircon on and the boot floor open I kept finding the odd bit of moisture.

Oh I also opened the subwoofer, as could feel the water inside, other than the screws there's a little bit of silicon in the joint, but didn't seem to cause any issues disassembling, and reassembling.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
So, to come to - hopefully - a close on this episode, I have identified the undoubted smoking gun in this particular murder. Thus:

Typical that this is the near side, so the water runs down straight into the huge foam block in which the air compressor resides. Great!

So I've pushed the seal back into place and then nuked the whole thing in that same potting compound, like so:

The sub is dry, so no need to tear that down. Phew!

Next job was to see if it was possible to get the compressor's foam block out and dried out, since there was still a large amount of water soaked into it and proving impossible to draw out with blue roll paper. I undid the 3 x 10mm bolts and 1 x 10mm nut holding the complressor 'chassis' in place, and lifted the whole thing sufficiently to wriggle the foam block out from underneath. It's now hanging out in the sun to dry out properly before putting it back again. I've cleaned out the whole wheel well so it's now spotless and - most of all - bone dry.

Carp photos, I know, but you get the idea...

The underside of the compressor looks ok, so I don't believe there is lasting damage - externally at least:

There are a few dry-ish days forecast, so hopefully that foam can be dried out and put back again before the next bout of rain.

Thanks for everyone's input on this little adventure. I have deliberately posted lots of photos in case anyone else has the same issue and needs to see what they are up against.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.