Jaguar Forum banner

Sportbrake rear air suspension compressor replacement?

13K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  ninjag 
#1 ·
Do any of you have any advice for replacing the compressor for the air suspension on the sportbrake (x250)?

Thanks
Phil

#2 ·
Not seen anyone try that on an XF, but I wonder if it is the same as used on LR and RR vehicles, in which case there are plenty of hints, tips and tricks on their forums. They apparently fail regularly on the likes of Discos and RRSs.

#4 ·
They're electrically powered, and mounted under the floor where you'd expect a spare wheel to go covered by a foam cover, there are two cables leading to the compressor, think one is for the compressor itself, and one if for a vent valve on the drier which is attached to it, it's suspended under a plastic tray which has the control valve with four pipes fitted on top, two are thin pipes which disappear into the wiring harness, and presumably go the left and right rear air springs, and one that goes to the compressor, and another which goes to a small pressure tank, I'm wondering it it's possible to take the compressor out without disconnecting the control valve so hopefully the car won't sink all the way down but looks like it needs to come straight up and inch or to to clear a bolt.
For that matter will it automatically inflate just by running the engine for a bit as generally only used to here the pump after driving a couple of mins?

Appears to be on of these AMK A2830 Jaguar XF (X250) Compressor C2Z31470, C2Z20105, Spare parts around the air suspension

#7 ·
Hi PeteA,

Thanks, that's some great info, so looks like you have to disconnect the pipes that lead to the suspension units to get it out. Do you by any chance have the 204-05 section on depressurising and re-pressurising the system?
Also it mentions that new air line connectors must be installed, so any info on those would be handy, as maybe they need a special tool to crimp or remove too.

Looks like the tie down rail that runs along the boot floor, and it's support bracket need to come out too, neat the way they just disappear between steps 5 and 6 :)

#9 ·
Thanks PeteA, ordered one of those a few hours ago :) hoping it will have all the info, just trying to figure out if it's within my capabilities, so I can decide if I should order the bits, working from home at the moment so no desperate rush, and don't fancy risking a trip to the dealers under current circumstances. Looks like they're out of stock with jaguar too!
Genuine Air Suspension-air Supply And Sensors (estate,front Coil With Rear Air Suspension) For Jaguar Xf 2009 - 2015 | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

so thinking of ordering from these folks, more choices I suppose, (if I should get the original AMK one, or alternative.)
C2Z31470, C2Z20105 Jaguar XF (X250) Compressor air suspension AMK A2830, Spare parts around the air suspension
AMK A2830 Jaguar XF (X250) Compressor C2Z31470, C2Z20105, Spare parts around the air suspension

#10 ·
Hi Phil, I broke a 2012 sportbrake as a donor car and I have the assembly number 4 that you refer to in #5 post, is it the complete assembly you need or just the compressor motor that you need?

#11 ·
Hi Dan,
just the compressor AFAIK, and guess I should replace the relay too ( think it's in the main fusebox), can't think why I wouldn't be able to bolt it on the same plastic plate the old one comes off. Still not sure if I can depressurise and re-pressurise the system or if I'd need dealer diagnostics to do that, and if I'd have to support the car while it's empty or it's ok to let it go all the way down.

#12 ·
The donor car was a non runner so I wasn't able to test it but the system stayed pressurized for maybe six weeks until I removed the unit. It certainly didn't seem like very high pressure, maybe 20psi? and the suspension just sank down to the bumpstops so not real need to support the car. Not sure on re pressurization but it seems a very simple system.

#14 ·
Hi Phil, I don't have the relay, I'll see if I can power up the compressor tomorrow and check out postage rates, a site on ebay did say that the major cause of failure was air leaks on either the pipes or rear suspension struts causing the compressor to fail through overwork. It might be a good idea to check for leaks after replacement.

#15 ·
Thanks, think leaving it parked bar moving it occasionally to rotate the tires for a few weeks has allowed it to seize, car is still at normal height though so don't think there can be any leaks. But I suppose take the relay out for a couple of days afterwards and check it doesn't sink is probably good advice.

#16 ·
Hi Phil, no luck I'm afraid, I connected the assembly to a battery, it struggled briefly and then gave up. Maybe you're right about lack of use allowing it seize. There was still plenty of pressure in the air tank, which I released in case the pump was struggling against the stored pressure.Good Luck

#17 ·
Is it take apartable by any chance Dan?

#28 ·
So I took it apart, the large silver part is the electric motor, remove the four bolts from the end plate and what you see there is the piston inside the bore with two valves on top of the piston. A bit of penetrating oil seemed to improve things, it appears to be a low pressure/ high volume system, it is a fairly powerful motor. might be worth a try if you're sure its the motor.
Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Pipe

Attachments

Reactions: PeteA
#20 ·
:LOL:

Your arms must be flippin' long nowadays Graham.... ;)

#21 ·
Hi DesperateDan,
thanks for giving the compressor a go, pity it's not working.
Tried my car with ignition on for a few mins and with engine running for a few mins, and no sign of the air suspension error, so don't think it runs the compressor until you're in motion, think it might be set to run once you're over 30MPH, since used to hear it run just as I left the town, suppose maybe it'll activate if the system is completely empty. But maybe it requires intervention via computer to get it to run without driving, and I've not got my head around the confusing array of different diagnostic cables that are available yet.
Curious what the control valve does, as if it isolates the pump and air cylinder from the air springs when not inflating, I might be able to change the compressor without depressurising if there's enough room to get the assembly tipped up unbolt just the compressor. Suppose maybe it might not be too hard to separate the control valve from the tray, and reattach, which would allow more room.

#22 ·
not so, my compressor adjusts the height of the car while parked,

i know th
is because my drive has a fair slope, and when sat in the car with one foot on the floor i can feel the car ' adjust the height ' while in park

bear in mind there is a compressor test mode in the SDD software that can check the functions, and also adjust the height to a preset load etc

also , if your suspension is where its supposed to be at any given time, the compressor has no need to run or alter the height , this doesn't mean its not working at any particular point

BB

Reactions: PeteA
#25 ·
not so, my compressor adjusts the height of the car while parked,

Just for clarification.. is it the compressor actually running or is the car just using the reservoir though?

I think it's only using the reservoir because mine does it whilst fuelling up and I'm not aware of hearing anything mechanical operating.. though that doesn't mean it's not operating the compressor... :)

#24 ·
Yeah mine previous Sportbrakes both adjusted with the ignition off.

The R-S doesn’t have air suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Morning Dan and All,

I have a 2012 Portfolio Sportbrake and have never had any issue with the air suspension, I have been driving relatively regularly during lock down as I live in the country and I have to drive to get to the store.

Just yesterday I had my very first experience of the "Vehicle to Low" message on the dash, a moment later I heard a whirring and the message disappeared, is this an indication that the system is likely to fail in the not so distant future or just something normal? I have the extended warranty, so not an issue really as it would be covered but was just wondering if I should be expecting anything.

I have never heard of any air suspension issues with the Sportbrake on this or any other forum and it's a complete coincidence that I got my first ever warning message just as the first thread appears on here.

Dom

#35 ·
Do you remember if you were moving, then the compressor activated? ( wondering if "Vehicle too low" will activate the pump when stationary )

It sounds like there is probably a leak on the system somewhere, I suppose if you where to repeatedly load, and unload the car while parked it might be possible too, as when you load the car, it uses air from the pressure reservoir to bring the suspension back to level, and the only way to lower it is to vent to the atmosphere. Also if all you're driving is under 30 MPH, it seems to not activate the pump, so if all your recent trips have been slower than that, it could be a normal amount of leakage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.