Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi DesperateDan,
thanks for giving the compressor a go, pity it's not working.
Tried my car with ignition on for a few mins and with engine running for a few mins, and no sign of the air suspension error, so don't think it runs the compressor until you're in motion, think it might be set to run once you're over 30MPH, since used to hear it run just as I left the town, suppose maybe it'll activate if the system is completely empty. But maybe it requires intervention via computer to get it to run without driving, and I've not got my head around the confusing array of different diagnostic cables that are available yet.
Curious what the control valve does, as if it isolates the pump and air cylinder from the air springs when not inflating, I might be able to change the compressor without depressurising if there's enough room to get the assembly tipped up unbolt just the compressor. Suppose maybe it might not be too hard to separate the control valve from the tray, and reattach, which would allow more room.

·
Registered
309 Posts
not so, my compressor adjusts the height of the car while parked,

i know th
is because my drive has a fair slope, and when sat in the car with one foot on the floor i can feel the car ' adjust the height ' while in park

bear in mind there is a compressor test mode in the SDD software that can check the functions, and also adjust the height to a preset load etc

also , if your suspension is where its supposed to be at any given time, the compressor has no need to run or alter the height , this doesn't mean its not working at any particular point

BB

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've never heard my compressor, but will check to see when it adjusts.

·
Super Moderator
26,838 Posts
Yeah mine previous Sportbrakes both adjusted with the ignition off.

The R-S doesn’t have air suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,231 Posts

Just for clarification.. is it the compressor actually running or is the car just using the reservoir though?

I think it's only using the reservoir because mine does it whilst fuelling up and I'm not aware of hearing anything mechanical operating.. though that doesn't mean it's not operating the compressor... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

i know th
is because my drive has a fair slope, and when sat in the car with one foot on the floor i can feel the car ' adjust the height ' while in park

bear in mind there is a compressor test mode in the SDD software that can check the functions, and also adjust the height to a preset load etc

also , if your suspension is where its supposed to be at any given time, the compressor has no need to run or alter the height , this doesn't mean its not working at any particular point

BB
Yes mine used to do that, using air from the reservoir ( pretty much silently - you can hear the valves if you remove the foam cover though ) - tend to notice it if you sit on the boot ledge too, the pump on mine had been noisy for quite a while, but I think they are set to run when the engine is making more noise so you don't notice the pump if they're running properly, and they just top up the reservoir for a few seconds each day.

Do you know if that compressor test mode raises the vehicle? ( Wouldn't want to change the default height, just have it run the pump to roughly achieve it, then drive to get it back to normal )
Any particular cable suggestions for SDD?
Do you know if it can be done with the engine running? ( I see mention that you need some kind of high current battery support to use SDD otherwise. )

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I can never hear mine but I think it's pretty obvious to know if it is working properly from the wheel arch gap, such as here where I'm sat on an uneven bit across the rear axle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it take apartable by any chance Dan?
So I took it apart, the large silver part is the electric motor, remove the four bolts from the end plate and what you see there is the piston inside the bore with two valves on top of the piston. A bit of penetrating oil seemed to improve things, it appears to be a low pressure/ high volume system, it is a fairly powerful motor. might be worth a try if you're sure its the motor.
20200622_103451.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
88 Posts
Morning Dan and All,

I have a 2012 Portfolio Sportbrake and have never had any issue with the air suspension, I have been driving relatively regularly during lock down as I live in the country and I have to drive to get to the store.

Just yesterday I had my very first experience of the "Vehicle to Low" message on the dash, a moment later I heard a whirring and the message disappeared, is this an indication that the system is likely to fail in the not so distant future or just something normal? I have the extended warranty, so not an issue really as it would be covered but was just wondering if I should be expecting anything.

I have never heard of any air suspension issues with the Sportbrake on this or any other forum and it's a complete coincidence that I got my first ever warning message just as the first thread appears on here.

Dom

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Dom, I don't think it would be classed as normal to have the error message appear but the whirring sound suggests that the compressor is ok. As Wilf mentioned earlier it seems to be much more of an issue on Range Rovers, it may be worth a look on their forum for pointers to potential issues and fixes.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hi Dom, I don't think it would be classed as normal to have the error message appear but the whirring sound suggests that the compressor is ok. As Wilf mentioned earlier it seems to be much more of an issue on Range Rovers, it may be worth a look on their forum for pointers to potential issues and fixes.
This can also be a sign when there's water ingress to the AJB. A rear air suspension fault message came up for me a while ago; water was getting through the boot strut bolt (offside) and then works its way down to the fuse box. The bolt comes loose over time.

I would check yours out just in case. My fuse box was soaking, so I dried it, then removed the strut bolt, applied RTV sealant to the underside of the captive washer and tightened up properly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This can also be a sign when there's water ingress to the AJB. A rear air suspension fault message came up for me a while ago; water was getting through the boot strut bolt (offside) and then works its way down to the fuse box. The bolt comes loose over time.

I would check yours out just in case. My fuse box was soaking, so I dried it, then removed the strut bolt, applied RTV sealant to the underside of the captive washer and tightened up properly.
Hi Kev (I think that's your name, sorry if I'm wrong)

Where exactly do I locate the fuse box you are referring to as I know there are multiple fuse boxes on our cats, the only one I have actually looked at before is the one under the bonnet.

Thanks in advance,

Dom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Kev (I think that's your name, sorry if I'm wrong)

Where exactly do I locate the fuse box you are referring to as I know there are multiple fuse boxes on our cats, the only one I have actually looked at before is the one under the bonnet.

Thanks in advance,

Dom
The fuse box is on the right behind the recess. It's the fuse box in the loading area on the right where the 12v socket is. Just unclip the cover and you will see it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So I took it apart, the large silver part is the electric motor, remove the four bolts from the end plate and what you see there is the piston inside the bore with two valves on top of the piston. A bit of penetrating oil seemed to improve things, it appears to be a low pressure/ high volume system, it is a fairly powerful motor. might be worth a try if you're sure its the motor.
Hi Dan,
thanks for the pics of the compressor, gives me a better idea what's under there, I can just see part of the pipe clip for the large inlet pipe and fancy it's different from the one on the other end of that pipe, which on mine is a regular "spring host clamp", do you know if it's a permanently crimped fitting, or a knippex click clamp style like
?

I've been thinking it might be possible to rig a special cable with a few switches/buttons, to operate the exhaust valve on the compressor, the compressor itself, and the pressure reservoir, compressor, left strut, and right strut solenoids in the control block, to depressurise, and pressurise the system. But not sure if they're all be operated off battery voltage, or perhaps are regulated to a lower voltage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Morning Dan and All,

I have a 2012 Portfolio Sportbrake and have never had any issue with the air suspension, I have been driving relatively regularly during lock down as I live in the country and I have to drive to get to the store.

Just yesterday I had my very first experience of the "Vehicle to Low" message on the dash, a moment later I heard a whirring and the message disappeared, is this an indication that the system is likely to fail in the not so distant future or just something normal? I have the extended warranty, so not an issue really as it would be covered but was just wondering if I should be expecting anything.

I have never heard of any air suspension issues with the Sportbrake on this or any other forum and it's a complete coincidence that I got my first ever warning message just as the first thread appears on here.

Dom
Do you remember if you were moving, then the compressor activated? ( wondering if "Vehicle too low" will activate the pump when stationary )

It sounds like there is probably a leak on the system somewhere, I suppose if you where to repeatedly load, and unload the car while parked it might be possible too, as when you load the car, it uses air from the pressure reservoir to bring the suspension back to level, and the only way to lower it is to vent to the atmosphere. Also if all you're driving is under 30 MPH, it seems to not activate the pump, so if all your recent trips have been slower than that, it could be a normal amount of leakage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Phil, the pipe I think you are referring to goes from the black plastic housing which is the air filter, to the compressor body and it has a knipex type fitting at on end and a spring loaded clip at the other, removable with mole grips.I'm not sure on the intricacies of its operation but there doesn't seem to be any natural leakage, the donor car stood for nearly five months with no drop in ride height.

·
Registered
309 Posts
'Knipex' is the brand of the tool in this case ( like Stanley or Facom), and not the type of hose clamp design , Knipex make lots of other tools

just to avoid any confusion

BB

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Dan, better get myself some suitable pliers for those if I'm gonna change it then, glad to hear there doesn't seem to be natural leakage, mine doesn't have any noticeable drop in height so far, just doesn't compensate for extra load, and shows the warning when I'd expect the pump to run.

Brake-buster, do you know if "Click clamps", is the correct name for those fittings? ( or is that like calling "worm drive hose clamps", "jubilee clips" )

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you remember if you were moving, then the compressor activated? ( wondering if "Vehicle too low" will activate the pump when stationary )

It sounds like there is probably a leak on the system somewhere, I suppose if you where to repeatedly load, and unload the car while parked it might be possible too, as when you load the car, it uses air from the pressure reservoir to bring the suspension back to level, and the only way to lower it is to vent to the atmosphere. Also if all you're driving is under 30 MPH, it seems to not activate the pump, so if all your recent trips have been slower than that, it could be a normal amount of leakage.
Hi Phil,

I was stationary at the time and had only just turned the engine on, I think I heard a whirring sound for a moment although I may have been mistaken and after a moment the message disappeared.

It hasn't happened again since and everything has been running very smoothly since, it may have been a temp gremlin, although I must admit haven't looked at the fuse box as suggested, I park reversed up to my house, so I'm just lazy to pull forward and check. Also, the only heavy loads I've put in her is myself and that's in the front.

Like I said, it's been about a week since it happened and I've driven quite a lot since then, probably over 200 miles, without issue and I have the extended warranty if something does happen.

Good luck resolving your issue.

Best wishes,

Dom

·
Registered
309 Posts
the clips are 'R-Type hose clamp/clips )

there are many versions and brand of this type as well, but the generic tool just as the Knipex ones above should work on all ,

i personally went with a hose clamp tool box set, about £34 on ebay ,

and they certainly make life easier and safer

BB

21 - 40 of 53 Posts