Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XFR - Ultimate Black
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for guys with spires stage 2 on XFR:

Does your exhaust bang/pop when decelerating? If so at what rpm/conditions does this tend to happen? Also do you have to be in dynamic mode?

I hear the odd light bang from mine when doing about 20mph then shifting down into 1st but thats quite seldom.

Unless it's doing it more often than I think, just cant hear it as im never outside the car.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Is yours a 6 speed or 8 speed? The 8 speeds were tamed down a bit and don't really crackle or pop much at all.

David.

·
Super Moderator
29,371 Posts
Mine (although it also had the stage 1 as well) does it a lot in Sport mode as that hangs onto the gears for much longer than Drive.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I agree with Dave, my MY11 XFR (6 speed) used to do it, but my MY15 XFR (8 speed) doesn't. I was told that they changed the engine map to reduce emissions. I believe a re-map can put it back to bangs and crackles...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I cringe these days when I hear pops and bangs, it's awful. Generally seem to be on Golf Rs etc though.

Reactions: MoabUtah

·
Registered
2013 XFR - Ultimate Black
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mines 8 speed. Not sure I want to mess about with a remap so will just leave it as is.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,480 Posts
I agree with Dave, my MY11 XFR (6 speed) used to do it, but my MY15 XFR (8 speed) doesn't. I was told that they changed the engine map to reduce emissions. I believe a re-map can put it back to bangs and crackles...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
wouldn't a pop and bang map run the risk of screwing the "cat " (ylitic converter)?

·
Super Moderator
29,371 Posts
I cringe these days when I hear pops and bangs, it's awful. Generally seem to be on Golf Rs etc though.
That's a totally different sound though. That's more like gunfire the way it bangs.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My exhaust is stock and you can get pops and bangs on the overrun (in manual) by slightly tapping the accelerator.

It’s quite random what you’ll get but there’s always some sort of additional noise emitted.

Reactions: Shrek

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
If you’re childish enough like me then you feather the throttle downhills to get the pops and bangs in the V8 XF.

The FTR seems to have a mind of its own though, and pops when it feels like it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine burbles and pops on overrun/deceleration, just like every supercharged car I've owned.
Did it standard, did it louder with the Spires and does it just the same once mapped.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My Ftype R can be really loud with pops and bangs like firework airbombs. Standard exhaust. I do manage to avoid too much noise near houses.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
wouldn't a pop and bang map run the risk of screwing the "cat " (ylitic converter)?
On the F-Type both V6 and V8 the engine is programmed to produce pops and bangs on the overrun etc and it does this by injecting a small amount of fuel on the exhaust stroke which then explodes in the exhaust pipes.
In turn if you make the car do it a lot this eventually harms the cats so much they need to be replaced, plenty of reports of this on the Yank forum. Of course JLR know about this but it was designed to not be a problem until after the warranty expires.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,480 Posts
On the F-Type both V6 and V8 the engine is programmed to produce pops and bangs on the overrun etc and it does this by injecting a small amount of fuel on the exhaust stroke which then explodes in the exhaust pipes.
In turn if you make the car do it a lot this eventually harms the cats so much they need to be replaced, plenty of reports of this on the Yank forum. Of course JLR know about this but it was designed to not be a problem until after the warranty expires.
cured by doing a decat....and a dodgy mot station.

as posted in the other marques section

This is stock.

the remap was just to increase bhp and torque.

Reactions: drewdrew
1 - 15 of 15 Posts