Jaguar Forum banner

Spires Exhausts

12K views 97 replies 26 participants last post by  JordanRaven 
#1 Ā·
I've been pleasantly surprised by the Spires exhausts I've recently fitted to my car. They are much louder than I expected, but not too loud inside the car.

First video is a quick blast, under load. Very noticeable.

Second video of my pulling away from a standing start. You don't really get a feel for the noise in this one though.

#2 Ā·
Am I the only person surprised by this then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Ā·
The only time I notice my Spires exhaust is when the car's doing a DPF regen. It actually makes a decent echo in the multi-storey!

#4 Ā·
Really? So unless mine is doing a regen all the time, something could be up.

#7 Ā·
15 years in clothing manufacture has impaired my hearing range somewhat.

#5 Ā·
No, yours are absolutely fine Chris. The difference in noise/tone is just too subtle for Nick and is something he is yet to pick up on :) I have discussed this with him on several occasions. You will certainly know when the Spires are doing a regen. Let it idle for a minute or so until the EGR valve kicks in, that's about half volume!

#6 Ā·
Thanks Jerry. I've certainly noticed the EGR valve opening and noise difference.

#9 Ā·
Who was the 1984 F1 world champion?

#14 Ā·
Anyone interested in hearing a Spires exhaust (while visiting Castle Donington today), just ask!

#16 Ā·
Adam, that wasn't my intention at all. In fact before I had even bought these and after speaking with other members who have diesels with these exhausts, I was under the impression they made no difference to the sound at all, much like the standard XFR silencers.

But I quite like the sound when driving to be honest. It doesn't really sound like a diesel IMO.

#17 Ā·
My Spires Quad exhaust system was the one designed and built specifically for the 3.0 Diesel engine and it sounded different (better) than the standard OEM part. Very difficult to describe but it just sounded sweeter, a bit more refined and a bit more throaty, less of a raw diesel engine sound. It wasn't any louder than the OEM system apart from when the EGR valve opened/closed (whichever way round it is) after about a minutes idle or during the DPF regen. Then it was noticeably louder than the original Jaguar system.

#18 Ā·
That's the exact experience I'm getting Jerry.

#19 Ā·
I found the other benefits of the system were; it transformed the looks (along with the addition of the two piece rear valance and XFR diffuser), it saves on weight, it is so well made it will easily outlast the vehicle and you can get a most of your outlay back if selling it on privately and putting the OEM system back on the car (10 minute job).

#20 Ā·
Yep all good points too. I only bought them for the look with the XFR-S diffuser. The sound change is an added benefit.

#21 Ā·
I prefer the sound with the EGR open :)

Speaking of sound, IMO the best exhaust note from a diesel engine comes from the new Maserati. A press of the "S" button and the change is brutal.

#28 Ā·
Cool. Not sure what exhausts will fit that but when you find them they should sound good.

I know the SV8 exhaust (of the similar age) is different to the diesels and XFRs. The pipe is a slightly different shape as the joint to the centre section is closer together. I bought a set of SV8 Spires exhausts years ago but they wouldnā€™t fit (the pipe diameter was different but it wasnā€™t that).

#29 Ā·
The best way of finding out would be to ring Spires.

#30 Ā·
I've heard both Spires and Quicksilver boxes on XFRs. Both sounded great, the Quicksilver had a deeper tone than the Spires. If I was looking for a new exhaust box or system I'd explore both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.