Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can restore my bonnet? It's covered in these white specs, that look like paint chips. I bought this a week ago and I don't think they were there before so I must've picked them up over driving in the week.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix them or at least lessen the visibility?

I should say they are all over the bonnet, the pictures below are just some localised pictures of them.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
On the first photo, the touch-up paint is clear to see on some of those marks.
I'm absolutely no expert on such things but my first guess would be dodgy respray.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm absolutely no expert on such things but my first guess would be dodgy respray.
Strange, I bought it from a Jaguar approved dealer as well. Might have to talk to them about it and see if they can help me out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm now wondering if they hid these marks temporarily and then rain or because I washed my car today caused them to show up, as I've only driven it a week and I haven't driven on any rough surfaces...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
I'm now wondering if they hid these marks temporarily and then rain or because I washed my car today caused them to show up, as I've only driven it a week and I haven't driven on any rough surfaces...

Thanks for your help.
The dealer would certainly be my starting point. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also, saw this on the bumper. At the end of the day, if I did miss these when looking round the car I'm more than happy to pay, considering it is a second-hand car, but I'm almost sure I checked the bonnet at the very least.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
2,001 Posts
The primer on my car (black) is whitest I have seen. Smallest chip will show up easily. I think it should have been grey. First time I polished the car many of those revealed. I guess that’s similar to your case.

·
Registered
984 Posts
They always use light primer on dark colours for some reason. Looks like stone chips, not necessarily a bad thing, it means the car will have a high mileage on motorways which should mean the engine will be in good condition by that I mean oil dilution.

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
My suspicion is that a coloured wax (like turtlewax colormagic) was used to disguise the stonechips.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I find that coloured or dark waxes and glazes mask the stone chips for a time but eventually turn white.

I’d start with the dealer. They should honour this and have the bonnet painted if it needs it. But it’ll depend on age and mileage.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'd agree, the dealer has disguised what appears to be stone chips, scuffs or even a bad paint respray with coloured wax. They clearly knew the state of the paint and disguised it, so have effectively tried to hide damage to the car, this smacks of being dishonest at least, it could also be mis-representation of the car for sale if the damage was not disclosed at the time of sale.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I looked at a car at a Kia dealership that within the group had a Jaguar dealership. That had white marks as described that were clearly stone chips. When asked if they were going to respray the bonnet was told that they would just touch them in. Presumably, the car did not come up to the standard for sale by their Jaguar dealership so was punted out to the Kia dealership.

The positive thing was that they had not hidden the defect.

Would seem that the dealer that the OP bought from was covering up a defect......wonder if they have covered up anything else?

·
19,981 Posts
I hope the car wasn't bought at Peter Vardy Aberdeen. Seems just like them. XFS v2 had paint issues, and even CRC couldn't get Peter Vardy to phone them back. Truly an awful dealership.

This smacks of the same sort of underhanded practices.

·
Super Moderator
20,461 Posts
If you get no joy try Chipex, they will send you a kit with an exact match and Voodoo juice that brings it level. I did my first XF with it and it was a great end result.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd agree, the dealer has disguised what appears to be stone chips, scuffs or even a bad paint respray with coloured wax. They clearly knew the state of the paint and disguised it, so have effectively tried to hide damage to the car, this smacks of being dishonest at least, it could also be mis-representation of the car for sale if the damage was not disclosed at the time of sale.
My own worry is that, if I was caught in the moment and just missed the paint chips on the bonnet but the more I look back at it the more obvious it looks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope the car wasn't bought at Peter Vardy Aberdeen. Seems just like them. XFS v2 had paint issues, and even CRC couldn't get Peter Vardy to phone them back. Truly an awful dealership.

This smacks of the same sort of underhanded practices.
Was bought from a Jaguar Approved dealer (assuming Peter Vardy Aberdeen isn't Jaguar approved), Guy Salmon to be specific so not a small chain.

I just hope they can sort it, as it doesn't look good and the more I look the back the more prominent its becoming.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you get no joy try Chipex, they will send you a kit with an exact match and Voodoo juice that brings it level. I did my first XF with it and it was a great end result.
Excuse the stupid question, but does that touch up paint last even after doing something like pressure washing the car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I looked at a car at a Kia dealership that within the group had a Jaguar dealership. That had white marks as described that were clearly stone chips. When asked if they were going to respray the bonnet was told that they would just touch them in. Presumably, the car did not come up to the standard for sale by their Jaguar dealership so was punted out to the Kia dealership.

The positive thing was that they had not hidden the defect.

Would seem that the dealer that the OP bought from was covering up a defect......wonder if they have covered up anything else?
It's a fair point, so far the car is great to drive apart from a little bit of accelerator lag & the InControl bugging out every now and then (something else I need to talk to the dealer about). But I have also already noticed some interior damage, nothing huge just a couple of scratches and also some damage to the seal of the windscreen and quite a deep scratch on the roof (which they've also tried to fill).

Maybe I'm being a bit over meticulous with that one, considering it's a used car, but for the amount I paid I sort of expected it to be pretty clean. I should also say this is my first used car & second car ever, so I don't really know what level of damage a nearly 3-year-old car would normally have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts