Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Welcome!
My advice, like some others here, would be to go for the 3.0d, ever though it is more expensive to run.
It is a smooth and powerful diesel and if driven sensibly is pretty efficient (I get average of 7,5 L per 100 km). I have driven the smaller diesels and generally not as good IMO, but of course more efficient and less taxes.
I would not necessarily worry about high mileage as long as the car has been serviced regularly, but my advice would be to get checked by a good garage before taking the plunge.

I bought a 2011 X250 3.0d (211ps version) with 220.000 km on the clock and previous owner claimed most was Autobahn coverage, confirmed in my opinion by the tell-tale stone chips on front of bonnet. I have since clocked up over 280.000 km and it is going better than when I bought it (thanks to a remap that has boosted torque from 450 to 600 nM and power from 211 to 250 ps).
That’s amazing , thank you very much !

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Should I buy a XF 2013 , 130.000 mi 2.2 TD SE Business with 6 k £ or pay more 9-10 k for a 2014-2015 3.0 with less 100.000 mi Premium Luxury ?
First car , family car, going to have as well a new born baby and a dog .
I'm just wondering if it's a great deal to get the 2013 at 6k or if there is any major difference between a SE Business and a Premium Luxury and work paying the extra 2-3K ? or 2.3 versus 3.0? or between a 2013 car and a 2014-2015 one? or less than 100.000 mi vs 130.000 mi (which I think might be a bit too much )?
So all in all, I would have the money to pay more if it's needed , just wondering if it's worth it .

Would be really helpful to get your opinion, thank you very much!
I can't see if you've mentioned it but I would say a Sportbrake might be best suited? The boot is deceptively large and it has rear air suspension so even when fully loaded you barely notice it.

I would only get the diesel if doing longer journeys, but I would have a good read of the forums and learn about the inherent design faults and the fixes among other issues. If happy then the 3.0 litre is a great drive. Try and get the top spec sound system, it will have "Meridian Surround System" stamped on the speakers as it's excellent and worth waiting to find one with it.

Good maintenance is critical, I personally put far more stock in a good indy fsh over a main dealer fsh. Fortunately, general servicing is very straightforward as the oil filter is on top and you can use an extractor for the oil, so no need to get under the car. The fuel filter is a doddle as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I can't see if you've mentioned it but I would say a Sportbrake might be best suited? The boot is deceptively large and it has rear air suspension so even when fully loaded you barely notice it.

I would only get the diesel if doing longer journeys, but I would have a good read of the forums and learn about the inherent design faults and the fixes among other issues. If happy then the 3.0 litre is a great drive. Try and get the top spec sound system, it will have "Meridian Surround System" stamped on the speakers as it's excellent and worth waiting to find one with it.

Good maintenance is critical, I personally put far more stock in a good indy fsh over a main dealer fsh. Fortunately, general servicing is very straightforward as the oil filter is on top and you can use an extractor for the oil, so no need to get under the car. The fuel filter is a doddle as well.
Great . Thank you very much !

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
welcome to the forum.
one thing to check on the 3.0d and 3.0sd is they need new timing belts around 110k miles which is pricey
my pick would be the 3.0 d S which is 275bhp and the extra money is negligible. It is very rapid and responsive, but just my preference. Around 2013 I believe the S also came with sports seats as the XFR (which is the 5l supercharged) and body trim. I also believe all post 2012 came with the 8 speed box rather than the original 6 speed.

Reactions: villain jaguar

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
welcome to the forum.
one thing to check on the 3.0d and 3.0sd is they need new timing belts around 110k miles which is pricey
my pick would be the 3.0 d S which is 275bhp and the extra money is negligible. It is very rapid and responsive, but just my preference. Around 2013 I believe the S also came with sports seats as the XFR (which is the 5l supercharged) and body trim. I also believe all post 2012 came with the 8 speed box rather than the original 6 speed.
I second this. The XF-S is a fantastic car (my 2010 example came with the sports seats but I'm not sure if these were an optional extra or standard fit).
And 275 HP doesn't really need a tuning box (sorry, Dave!) unless you want to prove something more to BMWs at the lights.
Portfolio spec doesn't leave much out.
In short, I'd be looking for best XF-S Portfolio I could afford.
And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
welcome to the forum.
good to know, as the one I wanted has passed 110 k , thank you !

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,907 Posts
I second this. The XF-S is a fantastic car (my 2010 example came with the sports seats but I'm not sure if these were an optional extra or standard fit).
And 275 HP doesn't really need a tuning box (sorry, Dave!) unless you want to prove something more to BMWs at the lights.
Portfolio spec doesn't leave much out.
In short, I'd be looking for best XF-S Portfolio I could afford.
And welcome to the forum!
No cars NEED a tuning box John but- and for the sake of a few hundred quid- a box /remap why not improve your mpg and performance.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My first XF was an XF S 3.0d Portfolio and I have to agree with John - it was a great car, very very smooth for a diesel and only loud when redlining unnecessarily when using dynamic mode.

Portfolio trim has pretty much all the toys I needed plus the first owner ticked some options boxes which was nice, only thing I would have wanted on it was a heated steering wheel.

·
19,872 Posts

Not a Sportbrake, but coming from a forum member, the chances are its been well looked after.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My first XF was an XF S 3.0d Portfolio and I have to agree with John - it was a great car, very very smooth for a diesel and only loud when redlining unnecessarily when using dynamic mode.

Portfolio trim has pretty much all the toys I needed plus the first owner ticked some options boxes which was nice, only thing I would have wanted on it was a heated steering wheel.
+1 here. I have a 2011 3.0TTD S Portfolio with remapping. Amazing car. Smooth, economical, mountains of torque. A great GT.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts