Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know the Audi A6 tells you when it is overfilled - but often caused by a faulty sensor rather than too much oil/diesel in the sump. Not a message you ever want to see as it could precede runaway which is no fun at all.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Stupidest idea ever in my opinion. My wife's BMW has no dipstick. Recently the timing chain tensioner came loose which I noticed due to oil residue on the drive. I had no idea how much oil had been lost and the digital gauge would only give a reading once up to temperature. So, I had to run the engine, potentially low on oil until I had a reading telling me how much to add.
But with the Jaguar version you can show the amount cold by popping the bonnet open rather than waiting for the engine to warm etc.

I personally have a preference for a normal dipstick, but don't really have anything against an electronic ones other than they can "potentially" go wrong at some point, but I've not heard of it happening.

·
Registered
811 Posts
But with the Jaguar version you can show the amount cold by popping the bonnet open rather than waiting for the engine to warm etc.

I personally have a preference for a normal dipstick, but don't really have anything against an electronic ones other than they can "potentially" go wrong at some point, but I've not heard of it happening.
That's interesting. I'll check out if the wife's BMW is the same. This may be a case of I should have RTFM!

·
Registered
9,582 Posts

You can also check the oil level when cold without opening the bonnet, it’s the default scenario when turning on the ignition after the car has been sitting for a while

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I don't know exactly how it operates as mine doesn't have the electronic oil level, but I knew there was a way to check it quickly if needed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If not already mentioned, with ignition on and bonnet up, pressing the cruise control cancel button twice within 2 seconds gives a "live reading of the engine oil level" according to the worship manual.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts