Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I want to carry out a service on me Jag XF 2.2D, want to know the Oil type and quantity I require? Euro Car parts are doing a great bank holiday sale so might take advantage of it.
Also planning to do Oil filter, Fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the Euro Car Parts oil selector to pick the right oil. Look in the handbook or on Castrol website and check the oil spec needed - then buy oil of that type - doesn't have to be Castrol. When I looked for my 3.0 D XFS they listed loads of oils, most of which were the wrong spec. Also look in the how to guides on this forum for more info on what is needed. I used an oil extractor rather than draining from the sump and it was really easy if you have a bit of know how and a few tools.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up going for Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF-L 5W-30 - 5Ltr in the end. Waiting on ECP delivering my service parts next week.
I read alot of people done the top extraction method, I am going to go the old way of sump nut off. Give me more time to play around :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought the same oil - the Castrol oil didn't seem to be available anywhere. The 3 litre diesel has the extraction pipe built in already as there is no dipstick. You then just connect the extractor to this point, rather than inserting the tube inside. Apparently many Jag dealers use this method and it seems more attractive than trying to get the car onto ramps without making intermediate ramps to miss the front bumper.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the same oil - the Castrol oil didn't seem to be available anywhere. The 3 litre diesel has the extraction pipe built in already as there is no dipstick. You then just connect the extractor to this point, rather than inserting the tube inside. Apparently many Jag dealers use this method and it seems more attractive than trying to get the car onto ramps without making intermediate ramps to miss the front bumper.
what oil extractor do you have currently and where did you get it from? Also is the fuel filter easy to change? I have done it many times in other VW cars but just want to make sure if there are any Do's and Don'ts in Jags?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought a 9l oil extractor from ebay - there is a 'how to' on changing the oil on the 3l Diesel in the how to section that shows the type of thing. Only cost around £30.

Worth pointing out the measurements marked on them are way out so mark your own graduations by filling with 1l of water at a time and marking the levels, so you can measure what comes out accurately, and put the same back in.

I have no experience of the 2.2 but fuel filter on 3l was also pretty simple to swap. No need to refill before fitting and easy to prime if you follow the instructions.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a 9l oil extractor from ebay - there is a 'how to' on changing the oil on the 3l Diesel in the how to section that shows the type of thing. Only cost around £30.

Worth pointing out the measurements marked on them are way out so mark your own graduations by filling with 1l of water at a time and marking the levels, so you can measure what comes out accurately, and put the same back in.

I have no experience of the 2.2 but fuel filter on 3l was also pretty simple to swap. No need to refill before fitting and easy to prime if you follow the instructions.
Cool thanks saw a few on amazon aswell, think they are the same ones you may have?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well serviced the XF today.....and I did it the old school way of draining it from underneath. I feel more satisfied of seeing every drop being drained :) I am sure the top extraction procedure is as effective but reading alot of places there were mixed feelings of whether the extraction actually drained all of the oil? Anyways I don't want to get into a debate about it. :)

However the entire process was not 100%.....i changed the fuel filter as I was carrying out a B service....anyways everything changed and Oil topped off. Go to push the start button and boom car starts and cuts off immediately. Then it would not start at all till the battery died. I tried everything from priming it by turning on / off the ignition. Eventually ran out of battery juice which I was dreading as I couldn't get the engine to fire.

No place was opened and only thing I could think off was jump leads so popped over to the garage in my misses wee fabia. Came back and the wee Fabia was the winner of the day. Jumped the XF and kept on with ignition on / off and tried to get it to fire. Finally after praying lol and pleading to the car it FIRED and gosh what a relief it was. It took few drives around block to get a smooth start up as the car was still hesitating to start but would do eventually.

I have done big services on multiple makes and models and this was certainly a new experience for me. Definitely not the one I was looking forward to trust me.

Anyways am happy that the service went trouble free....am not a big fan of where the oil filter is located i.e. at the side of the engine. No room to get a socket and wrench. When I removed the filter spilled oil all around 🙃

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well serviced the XF today.....and I did it the old school way of draining it from underneath. I feel more satisfied of seeing every drop being drained :) I am sure the top extraction procedure is as effective but reading alot of places there were mixed feelings of whether the extraction actually drained all of the oil? Anyways I don't want to get into a debate about it. :)

However the entire process was not 100%.....i changed the fuel filter as I was carrying out a B service....anyways everything changed and Oil topped off. Go to push the start button and boom car starts and cuts off immediately. Then it would not start at all till the battery died. I tried everything from priming it by turning on / off the ignition. Eventually ran out of battery juice which I was dreading as I couldn't get the engine to fire.

No place was opened and only thing I could think off was jump leads so popped over to the garage in my misses wee fabia. Came back and the wee Fabia was the winner of the day. Jumped the XF and kept on with ignition on / off and tried to get it to fire. Finally after praying lol and pleading to the car it FIRED and gosh what a relief it was. It took few drives around block to get a smooth start up as the car was still hesitating to start but would do eventually.

I have done big services on multiple makes and models and this was certainly a new experience for me. Definitely not the one I was looking forward to trust me.

Anyways am happy that the service went trouble free....am not a big fan of where the oil filter is located i.e. at the side of the engine. No room to get a socket and wrench. When I removed the filter spilled oil all around 🙃
Not sure what kind of filter you have but on my old 2.7D I used to fill the new fuel filter with diesel before refitting. Would always turn over first time.
My current 2.0D is a different type with a paper element. This method wouldn't work. Last time it wouldn't start so I disconnected the fuel outlet pipe and sucked the fuel through with an extractor. It then started straight away. Perhaps one of these methods will help you next time?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what kind of filter you have but on my old 2.7D I used to fill the new fuel filter with diesel before refitting. Would always turn over first time.
My current 2.0D is a different type with a paper element. This method wouldn't work. Last time it wouldn't start so I disconnected the fuel outlet pipe and sucked the fuel through with an extractor. It then started straight away. Perhaps one of these methods will help you next time?
The fuel filter design in 2.2 is different to the one in 2.7s as i was reading through forum posts during the panic and they suggested disconnecting the outlet pipe with the "arrow". However I wasn't sure if it would apply to mine? Also I read somewhere that mine didn't need filling with diesel as it self primes itself?

Also it's estonishing how the battery went dead. Just shows how much juice it takes to start the car. Also think my battery may need a lease of life as I keep getting message battery is low. I kept taking breaks while trying to fire the car and still went out of juice. Think am going to invest in a good Ctek chargers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You need to press ignition on for a few times before starting up the car. Each time you press ignition on it will prime the diesel filter. You need to do at least 5 times before starting it. I hope you used decent filters for the oil, air and diesel too. I am going to do mine this July/August.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to press ignition on for a few times before starting up the car. Each time you press ignition on it will prime the diesel filter. You need to do at least 5 times before starting it. I hope you used decent filters for the oil, air and diesel too. I am going to do mine this July/August.
As mentioned above i followed this procedure of on/off few times before actually starting the car. Normally when i did the service in my previous cars I would do similar procedure with turning the key ignition few times.

In my case I probably when directly to attempt starting car other than priming the filter first....ah well learnt my mistake :)

I got the Mann filter this time, used it in the past and never had any issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mann are good filters. The original Jaguar ones are a bit naff to be honest. When I compared the Mann air filter to the original Jaguar one, it was a revelation. The Jaguar one looked and felt very inferior to the Mann Air filter.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Mann are good filters. The original Jaguar ones are a bit naff to be honest. When I compared the Mann air filter to the original Jaguar one, it was a revelation. The Jaguar one looked and felt very inferior to the Mann Air filter.
On my old X-Type the OEM Jaguar filters I removed had Mann stamped on them as well as the Jaguar logo. I've used Mann filters ever since. I believe they are OEM suppliers for many marques, particularly the German ones.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
reading your posts , does seem like it hadn’t purged the air in the filter and your battery is weak

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
reading your posts , does seem like it hadn’t purged the air in the filter and your battery is weak
Yeah battery needs a good charge or may be replacing soon. My start and stop doesn't work so am guessing it's something to do with the battery being weak

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys just to confirm my 2.2 D only took 5L of Engine oil when i replaced it and I extracted just under 5 litres aswell as per the measurement on the side of the new oil Canister as poured the old oil into it. Does the quantity sound right for my engine? I thought it would be more?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello KJ
From what I can see the total dry oil fill should be 6.5 litres and for a service fill circa 5.9 litres. This web site explains and tallies with the general consensus.

Oil for Jaguar XF X250 XF 2.2D TD4 (140 kW) DPF (2012-2015). Which oil is the best? Professional lubrication advice - Kroon-Oil

From my own recollection I bought 2 off 4 litres of oil which my garage put into the car. In practice they also returned circa 2 litres and definitely not 1.5 litres. On that basis sixish litres would seem to be a reasonable emptied amount.
Your 5 litres sounds a bit short but then again it may have been low on oil or perhaps the car wasn't on level ground when it was drained? Furthermore I presume the engine management system now shows "full"?

·
Super Moderator
10,972 Posts
Whenever I had my XF Dealer serviced it came back with the oil level gauge bang on half way which I believe is correct. It would also bring your attention to any diesel dilution if the level went up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello KJ
From what I can see the total dry oil fill should be 6.5 litres and for a service fill circa 5.9 litres. This web site explains and tallies with the general consensus.

Oil for Jaguar XF X250 XF 2.2D TD4 (140 kW) DPF (2012-2015). Which oil is the best? Professional lubrication advice - Kroon-Oil

From my own recollection I bought 2 off 4 litres of oil which my garage put into the car. In practice they also returned circa 2 litres and definitely not 1.5 litres. On that basis sixish litres would seem to be a reasonable emptied amount.
Your 5 litres sounds a bit short but then again it may have been low on oil or perhaps the car wasn't on level ground when it was drained? Furthermore I presume the engine management system now shows "full"?
Hi Brian long time now see :) Hope you keeping well Pal :)

The car was on a level ground when I serviced it. I always make sure it is on level ground :)

Ok on pre start the oil level bar in the display showed full. Post start and drive around it showed me Half a bar with a status OK. (Half a bar would explain the oil has been circulated around the engine.) So I am confused on the 5.9-6.0 Litres of Oil?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts