Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
Similar concept to the plug kit I linked to except you need to faff about with messy glue.
i have used the same kit as Hamed a few times, no glue needed, the "inserts" are pre-covered in a sticky rubber solution. Work really well, had one in for a couple of months on a Grand Cherokee before I could get it properly repaired. Centre of the tread, admittedly.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
This is the type of kit I carry with me and it's saved me a few times in the past: Amazon Link

If it were just a shopping trolley for local driving then I've no problem with an outside plug, I ran one twice on my 330d for over a year without any problems (they were run flats though so a little extra backup there). But an XFR-S...I'm not so sure, it's an awful lot of torque.

If it were me I would plug that tyre using a repair kit, keep it as a spare and put a new tyre on.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Good point.
The OP says "TPMS is all working fine" which implies the tyre isn't going flat.
I had the same until I took the screw out 🤣

I wouldn’t repair that tyre.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope I haven't annoyed someone already with my 4 pipe rumblings but found a screw embeded in the shoulder of my fairly new MPS4

View attachment 188115

Localy indie says too far out to repair, obviously wasn't hoping to spend an extra £££ on day 1 of ownership, ordered a new tyre with the intention of fitting it monady; but now I'm thinking what a waste of tread, considering buying the new tyre unfitted and slinging it in the boot and running on the wounded one until it loses pressure and then just swapping it out at nearest tyre place. TPMS is all working fine and don't think it'll cause a catastrphoic failure, having the replacement in the boot brings peace of mind (car doesn't have a space saver).

Miserly? frugal? prudent?
They have flexible patches that can patch when that close to the sidewall. Some are flexible patches with a plug. They are intended for the greater movement that takes place on that area of the tire.

Go to an indie as Discount or any of the the franchise shops will not fix.

TBB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happened to me three weeks ago. Came back from a quick run to the convenient store. Parked in the garage and woke up the next morning to a flat tire. I jacked it up only to realize that my gorilla lock nut key was not in the spare tire area. Called my mechanic which was the last place I went to remove the wheels for replacing the brakes, and got a voice message that he was going to be away on vacation for the next 10 in days. Well,what a hassle that was, lucky, I have access to another car. I had to go back to the mechanic who did have it, then drive back to get my car and brought it back to him to get a free plug repair. Tires were about 5 months old Michelin MPS4 as well. Hated to see that happen to awesome tires. But all is good after the plug. I don't think you'll have issues, as the leak won't be a catastrophic blowout, if it leaks. Though going 150 mph for a long time isn't going to be recommended. ;)

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
942 Posts
They have flexible patches that can patch when that close to the sidewall. Some are flexible patches with a plug. They are intended for the greater movement that takes place on that area of the tire.

Go to an indie as Discount or any of the the franchise shops will not fix.

TBB
Any respectable tyre fitter who tries to repair in that crucial tyre area should be shot with a ball of his own bowel waste imho.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts