Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XF 2.2 Luxury Sportbrake, 2014 XFR-S Sportbrake (Jekyll and Hyde)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I haven't annoyed someone already with my 4 pipe rumblings but found a screw embeded in the shoulder of my fairly new MPS4

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Camera lens

Localy indie says too far out to repair, obviously wasn't hoping to spend an extra £££ on day 1 of ownership, ordered a new tyre with the intention of fitting it monady; but now I'm thinking what a waste of tread, considering buying the new tyre unfitted and slinging it in the boot and running on the wounded one until it loses pressure and then just swapping it out at nearest tyre place. TPMS is all working fine and don't think it'll cause a catastrphoic failure, having the replacement in the boot brings peace of mind (car doesn't have a space saver).

Miserly? frugal? prudent?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I had 2 in almost exactly the same place not too long ago, one front one rear. Bit the bullet and changed them both (got lucky with the rears).

I’d change it personally.

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,767 Posts
Get yourself a Stop N Go Tyre Plugger kit: STOP 'n GO POCKET STYLE TYRE PLUGGER KIT 5055331407665 | eBay
I bought this exact kit a few years ago and it has been great, saved my bacon twice now with my very expensive rear 295/30ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres.
Once in the comfort of my garage (drove the 2 km home with the screw still in the tyre), once on the side of the road with a nail but too far to drive home.
One in each rear tyre with the repair "plugs" still going strong years later.
Both times the screw or nail was a little further towards the middle of the tread than yours but only a little, say 1 cm, so I reckon it will work perfectly OK on yours which you can then use as a spare.
Nothing to lose, give it a go, and keep the kit in your boot like I do for repairing simple roadside punctures, although you will need a tyre inflator pump (I just used the 12v plug in one that came with the car).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hope I haven't annoyed someone already with my 4 pipe rumblings but found a screw embeded in the shoulder of my fairly new MPS4

View attachment 188115

Localy indie says too far out to repair, obviously wasn't hoping to spend an extra £££ on day 1 of ownership, ordered a new tyre with the intention of fitting it monady; but now I'm thinking what a waste of tread, considering buying the new tyre unfitted and slinging it in the boot and running on the wounded one until it loses pressure and then just swapping it out at nearest tyre place. TPMS is all working fine and don't think it'll cause a catastrphoic failure, having the replacement in the boot brings peace of mind (car doesn't have a space saver).

Miserly? frugal? prudent?
If it starts to deflate you could always use the compressor and tyre sealant stuff you should have in boot. I’ve never used either and don’t know how effective they would be.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If it starts to deflate you could always use the compressor and tyre sealant stuff you should have in boot. I’ve never used either and don’t know how effective they would be.
Never used it either but you should know that once you use that sealant goo the tyre is stuffed and must be scrapped.
Muuuch better to use a plug instead.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Never used it either but you should know that once you use that sealant goo the tyre is stuffed and must be scrapped.
Muuuch better to use a plug instead.
Yes, I had heard that, but tyre in this case is going to be scrap either way. Having said that, the plug sounds a better idea!

·
Super Moderator
30,288 Posts
Difficult one. Not sure I’d be using a DIY plug kit myself, what happens if you have a blow out and crash the car? What would your insurance say about your DIY fix?

Maybe take it to a more friendly tyre garage, not a big chain, and see what they say? At least you have until Monday to decide and you can always pick up the tyre without fitting it if you find somewhere. I like to have a spare at home for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
19,981 Posts
Thats too close to the edge. 1cm more towards the inner is safe as OzXFR said. I don't think yours is. Good reason why the tyre fitter said what he did. CYA. Get the new tyre fitted ASAP. Its a PITA, but at least you now the car is fully safe and can corner, hard if you wish without any concerns.

Reactions: Shrek and BigKev

·
Registered
2014 XF 2.2 Luxury Sportbrake, 2014 XFR-S Sportbrake (Jekyll and Hyde)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chaps, driving the 2.2 all weekend so got time to mull options, might well order a plug kit anyway, seems a sensible thing to have, have used similar on mountain bike tyres.

·
Super Moderator
30,288 Posts
Thanks Chaps, driving the 2.2 all weekend so got time to mull options, might well order a plug kit anyway, seems a sensible thing to have, have used similar on mountain bike tyres.
Not being funny but your mountain bike doesn’t have 550PS firing at the back wheels. :)

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
942 Posts
Utter, utter bummer Justin min……new tyre…..mess thee not with thy life. Plug kit been used very successfully by friends, but way in from edge.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Take the screw out, how do you know that the screw is long enough to have gone into the casing?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Take the screw out, how do you know that the screw is long enough to have gone into the casing?
Good point.
The OP says "TPMS is all working fine" which implies the tyre isn't going flat.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
...The OP says "TPMS is all working fine" which implies the tyre isn't going flat.
It probably won't be going flat as the hole that the screw has made is being 'plugged' by the screw itself, I have much experience of this unfortunately... :rolleyes:

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
30,288 Posts
Yeah you won’t know until you either remove the screw or the tyre.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
2,001 Posts
I found one of those screws exactly in that area. Seemed to be there for some time. I always have one of These. Took me 3mins to insert the plug and it sealed in first attempt. It’s been through MOT since then. I had to do this another couple of times earlier but they were closer to centre. I don’t know why this happens to Jag and not to my other car which covers more miles.
Screws, pins and nails are easy fix using plug because they don’t damage the integrity of rubber. Just cut and go in.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Yeah you won’t know until you either remove the screw or the tyre.
If you remove the tyre it'll definitely go flat...

:D

• Haha
Reactions: Gav and ChrisSB

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I found one of those screws exactly in that area. Seemed to be there for some time. I always have one of These. Took me 3mins to insert the plug and it sealed in first attempt. It’s been through MOT since then. I had to do this another couple of times earlier but they were closer to centre. I don’t know why this happens to Jag and not to my other car which covers more miles.
Screws, pins and nails are easy fix using plug because they don’t damage the integrity of rubber. Just cut and go in.
Similar concept to the plug kit I linked to except you need to faff about with messy glue.

Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
942 Posts
If you remove the tyre it'll definitely go flat...

:D
Aw man….Pete…..that’s nearly as bad as “Ach….keep going…..yer tyre’s only flat at the bottom…” Especially whilst bursting yer rude bits trying to undo wheel nuts last tightened by a guy in a blue bilersuit.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Personally, I’d fit a plug, assuming the screw has punctured the carcass. I carry them in all my cars, just in case. Both my Jags have skinny spare wheels but I like to have options. Wouldn’t use the sealing goo, it’ll likely destroy the TPMS sensor plus the tyre fitter when you eventually change the tyre would charge to clean the mess. If the plug were to leak, it’ll not cause an immediate blow out plus you have tyre pressure monitors. It’s a personal choice of course.

Reactions: Gav and BigKev
1 - 20 of 26 Posts