Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I did 2000+ miles round the NC500 mainly using the Tomtom from my bike, plugged into the 12v front socket. Heated screen. No problems with GPS pickup anywhere. Perhaps it depends on the receiving unit's pick up strength.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
Jaguar XF Luxury, 2.2d, 190bhp, 2011 facelift
6 Posts
SatNav units with built-in antennas often struggle in many modern cars to pick up a usable satellite signal. Not only Jaguars. The metal of the car acts as a signal barrier, having a heated or solar coated windscreen does the same, much the same as a microwave doesn't let the microwaves out, the car prevents the satellite radio waves getting in. Older cars didn't have such windscreens, many had a glass sunroof, so some signal could still be received. Other items such as 12 volt USB power adapters can also interfere with the signal, more so cheaply made ones which can (illegally) emit broad spectrum unwanted radio noise, interfering with the satnav signals. Sat nav signal repeaters are advertised, where an antenna is placed in the car in a position where it can receive the signals but where it'd be impractical to mount your sat nav unit, but no idea how well or even if these work. My dash camera uses sat nav for it's speed display. It's never once displayed the speed as my F-Pace has no sun or panoramic roof and the windscreen is heated and solar coated.
Totally appreciate where you’re coming from and makes sense as far as the more modern/coated/heated windscreen (which mine isn’t) blocking the signal is concerned. But why am I able to get the unit locked on bottom right and left of the screen but not in the centre..? The built in sat nav is able to get a lock almost instantly. (Not sure where the antenna is for this?) My front dash cam is positioned out of my sight behind the rear view mirror and fortunately I’ve never had cause to look at anything so not sure if it is picking up. Looks like one of those issues I’ll just have to get around by moving the garmin to the bottom of the windscreen at the front o/s and get used to it..!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did 2000+ miles round the NC500 mainly using the Tomtom from my bike, plugged into the 12v front socket. Heated screen. No problems with GPS pickup anywhere. Perhaps it depends on the receiving unit's pick up strength.
Yes you could be right although I would have thought a garmin nuvi 2598 would have enough power to receive the signals. Maybe I should have held on to my old Tomtom 🤔

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes you could be right although I would have thought a garmin nuvi 2598 would have enough power to receive the signals. Maybe I should have held on to my old Tomtom 🤔
Appreciate all the input, I found it a bit frustrating…! thank you!

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I'd agree with you on that Andy.. my Pixel 2XL was alright when it felt like it, and generally better with car screen off.. gave up with my Pixel 3XL.. no problem with my Pixel 4XL ...

61 - 65 of 65 Posts