Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,812 Posts
Re the comments about heated windscreens. It may sometimes cause a gps problem. The bigger culprit though is a car with climate control and solar glass. The coating to reflect light n the IR spectrum is known to affect gps reception. There is generally an area around pd the rear view mirro which is clear and to which a GPS receiver may be added and cnncted to the mobile device.
The solar coating on many cars looks purpley blue in colour from the outside. fords have a IR Mark on the screen data
I give up.
:)

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I have to say I've had exactly the same problem with my Nexus 5X, Nexus 4 and Doogee phones in the time that I've had my facelift XF. :(

I was intrigued to see if it was the touch screen that was causing the problem for me as well, into the car this morning, switch screen off and fire up the Sat Nav on the Nexus 5X and it worked properly for the first time!!! :eek:

Screen back on and it still worked! :eek: :eek:

Gadzooks!!!

Puzzled, I left the touch screen on and switched the phone off for 5 mins, restart phone, fire up Sat Nav and it worked happily even with the screen on.

Have been using it all day with no problems noticed, weird! :confused:

BUT, I suspect I know why the phone GPS is now suddenly working in my case, this morning (but too late for me to collect before work), a GPS re-radiating thingy arrived for me from fleabay at the local collection point!

Bleddy typical! I finally get round to ordering it, and it turns up on the first day my phone GPS decides to work!!!

Feckin' technology. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Re the comments about heated windscreens. It may sometimes cause a gps problem. The bigger culprit though is a car with climate control and solar glass. The coating to reflect light n the IR spectrum is known to affect gps reception. There is generally an area around pd the rear view mirro which is clear and to which a GPS receiver may be added and cnncted to the mobile device.
The solar coating on many cars looks purpley blue in colour from the outside. fords have a IR Mark on the screen data
+ 2.
Same as Davenn, had to locate my European Toll device and the Dashcam GPS, both behind the mirror

·
Registered
9 Posts
Being such a perfectionist, i decided that the satnav in my 2012 XF was somewhat lacking so I decided to use Google Maps on my Samsung S8+ instead. The thing is it wouldn't work properly in the car - misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating. My conclusion - The £600 Samsung S8 has a naff GPS receiver. My solution - I buy myself a £250 top of the range Garmin Drivesmart 61 satnav. It's fantastic and works really well - except in my XF, misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating, sound familiar? So I borrowed a friends TomTom 8200, guess what... misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating when used in the Jag. Being the inquisitive type I played around a bit and discovered that when the XF's screen is on, all these devices completely lose their satellite reception, you can actually watch each satellite drop off one by one. Disable/blank the screen and they all instantly reconnect and work again. I can leave the radio on, leave the XF nav running and everything's fine but as soon as the screen comes on, dead satnav's. Before I ask the local priest to perform an exorcism on the car, I though I would ask you geniuses if you've experienced anything like this. Before you ask, no drink or drugs were involved.
Hi bconnelly,
I have a XF 62 plate and my Samsung S9 loaded with Co-Pilot would not work,
I tried as you have suggested and turned the Infotainment screen off and it works perfectly...
Question, did you ever discover a cure or work around for this, because as we all know the XF Sat Nav is rubbish at best of times but worse when it is 7 years out of date..
I also prefer Co-Pilot on my phone as it shows all the speeds for each road, and of course has speed cameras as standard.
I also find setting the XF Sat Nav not very User Friendly.

Also side note , it all worked perfectly well in my 59 plate XF...:rolleyes:

Thanks, Tony...

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,118 Posts
Hi bconnelly,
I have a XF 62 plate and my Samsung S9 loaded with Co-Pilot would not work,
I tried as you have suggested and turned the Infotainment screen off and it works perfectly...
Question, did you ever discover a cure or work around for this, because as we all know the XF Sat Nav is rubbish at best of times but worse when it is 7 years out of date..
I also prefer Co-Pilot on my phone as it shows all the speeds for each road, and of course has speed cameras as standard.
I also find setting the XF Sat Nav not very User Friendly.

Also side note , it all worked perfectly well in my 59 plate XF...:rolleyes:

Thanks, Tony...
I believe some with similar problems mounted the sat nav in the lower right corner of the screen and it worked OK, may be worth try.

·
Super Moderator
12,477 Posts

·
Registered
10,569 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a gps repeater fitted - works well. Had no gps reception inside the cabin on 2 different TomToms, various Samsung phones, regardless of whether touchscreen was on or off, heated front screen on or off, Ipod on or off, regardless of position of satnav. The repeater was the only solution.

My repeater is similar to or same as PeteA's link. Have it permanently on & permanently mounted on a ground plane (actually a Sainsbury's baking tin) in the rear window. Using a gps signal app on phone I can see a strong signal from 10 satellites when it's on, but only a weak signal from maybe three when repeater is off. I did look at putting the repeater receive aerial inside the fin on the roof but there wasn't enough space to do it comfortably.

HTH

Car is X250 - 2012.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Tony, I now have one of these permanently installed in my car.. though only plugged in when I need to use it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-RE-R...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Works a treat!

Hi Pete,
Had a look at these as well, but seems like extra hassle for the few time I use it.
I will try as suggested above and stick my phone in bottom right of windscreen and see how that works out.
If not then your booster looks a good alternative.
If only Jag made a decent Sat Nav, that could be customized and easier to use 🤔��🤔.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Bottom right of the screen works for me, a little annoying to keep it charged there and would have preferred my mount which I bought for sticking on the cubby cover on the central console.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On the other side of things. That is, giving the car's screen some agro. I fitted a front dash cam. (Nextbase 512GW) Everything worked as it should, then I fitted a rear cam. That blocked the DAB signal almost all of the time. Several ferrite rings later and I have the DAB signal back most of the time. Even after moving the cams and the wiring about its not perfect. That screen in the XF could do with some upgrade and the Nextbase rear cam could do with chucking!

·
Registered
Jaguar XF Luxury, 2.2d, 190bhp, 2011 facelift
6 Posts
Being such a perfectionist, i decided that the satnav in my 2012 XF was somewhat lacking so I decided to use Google Maps on my Samsung S8+ instead. The thing is it wouldn't work properly in the car - misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating. My conclusion - The £600 Samsung S8 has a naff GPS receiver. My solution - I buy myself a £250 top of the range Garmin Drivesmart 61 satnav. It's fantastic and works really well - except in my XF, misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating, sound familiar? So I borrowed a friends TomTom 8200, guess what... misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating when used in the Jag. Being the inquisitive type I played around a bit and discovered that when the XF's screen is on, all these devices completely lose their satellite reception, you can actually watch each satellite drop off one by one. Disable/blank the screen and they all instantly reconnect and work again. I can leave the radio on, leave the XF nav running and everything's fine but as soon as the screen comes on, dead satnav's. Before I ask the local priest to perform an exorcism on the car, I though I would ask you geniuses if you've experienced anything like this. Before you ask, no drink or drugs were involved.
Yep exactly the same with my 2011 facelift and Garmin nuvi. As soon as it's outside the car it works as it should, picking up all the satellites again. Pity the built in sat nav wasn't better. Apparently with the usb upgrade the maps only reach 2017. Anyone know any different...?

·
Registered
XF R-sport 2017MY 2.0d with winter pack.
78 Posts
There were places in the past when my TomTom would go haywire, such as Bristol city centre where it just would not pick up any signal. Don’t seem to have any issues normally with the in-car Nav on my XF. My son regularly uses his phone and he hasn’t mentioned any issues, but as with radio there will be occasional gremlins I expect.

·
Registered
Jaguar XF Luxury, 2.2d, 190bhp, 2011 facelift
6 Posts
Just a wee update…. Had garmin fixed to top of a mat on dashboard right above media screen. Tried turning off media screen and it made no difference. Moved garmin outside and satellites were picked up in seconds. I turned the satellite search on and you can see them all disappearing in a couple of seconds when the unit is placed anywhere near the centre of the top of the dashboard. Move it to the far right or far left of the windscreen and they magically appear again. Can only assume something related to the media screen affects the GPS on my garmin.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
You don't happen to have a heated windscreen by any chance?

Reactions: PeteA

·
Super Moderator
32,337 Posts
You can buy GPS repeaters to retransmit the GPS signal inside the car.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
SatNav units with built-in antennas often struggle in many modern cars to pick up a usable satellite signal. Not only Jaguars. The metal of the car acts as a signal barrier, having a heated or solar coated windscreen does the same, much the same as a microwave doesn't let the microwaves out, the car prevents the satellite radio waves getting in. Older cars didn't have such windscreens, many had a glass sunroof, so some signal could still be received. Other items such as 12 volt USB power adapters can also interfere with the signal, more so cheaply made ones which can (illegally) emit broad spectrum unwanted radio noise, interfering with the satnav signals. Sat nav signal repeaters are advertised, where an antenna is placed in the car in a position where it can receive the signals but where it'd be impractical to mount your sat nav unit, but no idea how well or even if these work. My dash camera uses sat nav for it's speed display. It's never once displayed the speed as my F-Pace has no sun or panoramic roof and the windscreen is heated and solar coated.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts