Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
The first thing is to test in an identical.. or as near as...car.
He's already confirmed its the screen, with several GPS Devices though, as when he switches it off, these device work ok...

Registered
I have my Tom Tom fastened onto the front cup holder lid. I don't like things fastened to the screen so seemed the next best place where the sucker would attach. Plus the cable is neatly run into the arm rest socket.

Never had any issues with the cars display giving interference or the heated windscreen either like many have reported.

It's a Tom Tom go 500 with lifetime maps and traffic.

Bit of a faff to get it to pair with my phone and login but it works well once it's connected.

Firm Rampant Member
My suspicion is that somewhere there is a lead without a ferrite choke causing interference.
Back to EMI... yep, sounds that way.

However, it's DEFINITELY the screen.... though, as noted above, how about the USB?

Registered
Hmm, neither of my XFs did this, no problems with phone GPS or standalone units. Maybe it鈥檚 had a new screen fitted at some point and they didn鈥檛 fit the metal shield material back in?

鈥斺斺斺斺斺
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Try going for a short trip with someone holding the phone/satnav while sitting in the back, away from the screen. Not sure what they will prove except how far the 'disturbance' radiates from the screen.

Administrator
My suspicion is that somewhere there is a lead without a ferrite choke causing interference.
Just watched a video of the head unit being removed & there aren't any ferrite chokes fitted near the unit.

Registered
That's probably why the OPs satnavs are playing silly buggers then.
I think Stiggy means that there aren't any fitted on ANY car. So that can't be the reason.

Registered
Re the comments about heated windscreens. It may sometimes cause a gps problem. The bigger culprit though is a car with climate control and solar glass. The coating to reflect light n the IR spectrum is known to affect gps reception. There is generally an area around pd the rear view mirro which is clear and to which a GPS receiver may be added and cnncted to the mobile device.
The solar coating on many cars looks purpley blue in colour from the outside. fords have a IR Mark on the screen data

Firm Rampant Member
Re the comments about heated windscreens. It may sometimes cause a gps problem. The bigger culprit though is a car with climate control and solar glass. The coating to reflect light n the IR spectrum is known to affect gps reception. There is generally an area around pd the rear view mirro which is clear and to which a GPS receiver may be added and cnncted to the mobile device.
The solar coating on many cars looks purpley blue in colour from the outside. fords have a IR Mark on the screen data

+1
I've had to stick my M6 toll tag behind the RV mirror due to this.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts