Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being such a perfectionist, i decided that the satnav in my 2012 XF was somewhat lacking so I decided to use Google Maps on my Samsung S8+ instead. The thing is it wouldn't work properly in the car - misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating. My conclusion - The £600 Samsung S8 has a naff GPS receiver. My solution - I buy myself a £250 top of the range Garmin Drivesmart 61 satnav. It's fantastic and works really well - except in my XF, misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating, sound familiar? So I borrowed a friends TomTom 8200, guess what... misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating when used in the Jag. Being the inquisitive type I played around a bit and discovered that when the XF's screen is on, all these devices completely lose their satellite reception, you can actually watch each satellite drop off one by one. Disable/blank the screen and they all instantly reconnect and work again. I can leave the radio on, leave the XF nav running and everything's fine but as soon as the screen comes on, dead satnav's. Before I ask the local priest to perform an exorcism on the car, I though I would ask you geniuses if you've experienced anything like this. Before you ask, no drink or drugs were involved.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,812 Posts
Being such a perfectionist, i decided that the satnav in my 2012 XF was somewhat lacking so I decided to use Google Maps on my Samsung S8+ instead. The thing is it wouldn't work properly in the car - misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating. My conclusion - The £600 Samsung S8 has a naff GPS receiver. My solution - I buy myself a £250 top of the range Garmin Drivesmart 61 satnav. It's fantastic and works really well - except in my XF, misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating, sound familiar? So I borrowed a friends TomTom 8200, guess what... misdirection's, inaccurate figures, slow updating when used in the Jag. Being the inquisitive type I played around a bit and discovered that when the XF's screen is on, all these devices completely lose their satellite reception, you can actually watch each satellite drop off one by one. Disable/blank the screen and they all instantly reconnect and work again. I can leave the radio on, leave the XF nav running and everything's fine but as soon as the screen comes on, dead satnav's. Before I ask the local priest to perform an exorcism on the car, I though I would ask you geniuses if you've experienced anything like this. Before you ask, no drink or drugs were involved.
Never a problem on my x250, with my TT live over the central vent on a Brodit.
Strange...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the same problem on internal battery or plugged in to the car. Tried mounting at the top of the windscreen, on the dash even on the centre consul - no difference. I'm guessing the screen is generating some kind of interference. The car's own satnav works fine (well as fine as an XF satnav can work), of course that has an outside satellite antennae. Strange indeed.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,812 Posts
Get the same problem on internal battery or plugged in to the car. Tried mounting at the top of the windscreen, on the dash even on the centre consul - no difference. I'm guessing the screen is generating some kind of interference. The car's own satnav works fine (well as fine as an XF satnav can work), of course that has an outside satellite antennae. Strange indeed.
EMC, EMF ...probably EMI.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Think you'll need that priest because this doesn't seem normal. I used a tomtom in my first XF before I started trusting the built in satnav, without any probs at all. On longer trips through France I also use a traffic/speed cam app on my phone in parallel with the built in system in my current XF... no problems there either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you mention the screen, do you mean the heated windscreen? I have an Audi S8, with a standard windscreen, it got broke, and Autoglass replaced it with a heated screen, messed everything up and made things liek that not work. They came back and give me a std screen and all worked well again..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you mention the screen, do you mean the heated windscreen? I have an Audi S8, with a standard windscreen, it got broke, and Autoglass replaced it with a heated screen, messed everything up and made things liek that not work. They came back and give me a std screen and all worked well again..
No, I mean the cars centre display screen. The heated windscreen on or off doesn't seem to affect it.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,173 Posts
Wouldn't it only stop getting a gps signal whilst the screen is on, i.e 2 mins or so?

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
No, I mean the cars centre display screen. The heated windscreen on or off doesn't seem to affect it.
Oh right, never heard of this before, plenty of FM uses their own satnavs in here,no one has reported this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've searched the forums and Googled it Gav and as you say, nothing like it anywhere. I'll do a video when I get a chance. Strange thing is 'everything' in the car works perfectly.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,812 Posts
OK so EMF or EMI in my XF is making the GPS US. It's all too much for me :)

EMC is a black art.
Electronic devices can both create or be effected by EMC.
We used to have a lab where EMC test work could be completed.... just moving a single wire would make a dramatic difference.

Touch screens can create EMI...which, I suppose could mask the GPS signal.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
It can only be emitting a radio signal that's swamping the GPS receiver, unfortunately unless it's under warranty, I'd be a new/second hand screen :(

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,812 Posts
It can only be emitting a radio signal that's swamping the GPS receiver, unfortunately unless it's under warranty, I'd be a new/second hand screen :(
The first thing is to test in an identical.. or as near as...car.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I sometimes have Google maps directions on my phone. (Just the voice). Never had any reception problems. Samsung S7.

·
Apostrophe Monitor
7,424 Posts
Where are you positioning the phone/Tom Tom/Garmin?

Have you tried it in a different position, such as by the offside A post.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
I had issues with my first XF that, at the time, I attributed to the heated screen I bought a GPS relay device and rebroadcasts the signal from an antenna on the outside of the car to a small repeater inside. Worked like a charm.

However on my next two XFs, both with heated screens, I haven’t had the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 65 Posts