Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R-Sport XF
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumbling sound - possible wheel bearings
I’ve heard a strange rumbling sound for a while from my car and to be honest thought I was imaging there was a difference until I had someone in the car and they suggested it could be a wheel bearing

Now, this sounds expensive, but looking for your thoughts? Can the bearings Themselves be changed?
Many thanks

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
875 Posts
How old/good are your tyres…?

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Ditto on tyres, and yes, wheel bearings can be changed.

If you can, jack up each wheel and feel for play/roughness as they spin.

·
Registered
2014 R-Sport XF
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Tires have 3/4 tree left on them all round. Will try the play on the wheels and see. Thanks

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
I have a similar issue. I am not convinced it is bearing but I can also feel the vibration just like out of balance wheels. I have rotated tyre and made no difference. I have checked play on the hub and no play at all. Wheels are stiff to spin by hand.
recently replaced brake discs and pads die to brake judder and couldn’t get anything better than 0.08mm on the disc. I am not sure if it is the bearing causing this or the hub is warped. The noise is growing. I could only hear it above 60mph but now I can hear it from 40mph. There is a synced vibration in the cabin. Steering wheel is not vibrating. Rear bearings are easily found. Around £40 for genuine. They are easily replaceable in garage or with help of some kits at home. Fronts are normally come as assembly with wheel hub. My rumbling noise is independent from engine rpm/load or acceleration/deceleration and cornering. It only depends on speed.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
875 Posts
Thank you. Tires have 3/4 tree left on them all round. Will try the play on the wheels and see. Thanks
Solved then…..any tyres with large bits of tree on them are bound to make a noise. Remove said shrubbery, test drive, and report back.

Reactions: davetech and Sdotk

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
If you are going to jack each corner to check, grab the spring whilst spinning the wheel and if the bearing is bad you should be able to feel the roughness travel through in the spring. If you've got a Sportbrake then you can only do this at the front.

·
Registered
930 Posts
A wheel bearing will make more or less noise when cornering, modern wheel bearings don't usually show errors by wobbling the wheel or rotating them. You will feel a tightness when off the car, even just rotating the disc will not show up.
Look at the prop shaft couplings and CV joints as well. Tyres which are iffy show up at specific speeds even with good tread. I have had all of the above at one time or another

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
A wheel bearing will make more or less noise when cornering, modern wheel bearings don't usually show errors by wobbling the wheel or rotating them. You will feel a tightness when off the car, even just rotating the disc will not show up.
Look at the prop shaft couplings and CV joints as well. Tyres which are iffy show up at specific speeds even with good tread. I have had all of the above at one time or another
I found it easier to spin prop shaft than the rotor. Don’t understand why. And with the wheels on, the hardest I could try was 1/4turn spin before it stopped. No chance without wheel and both wheels were in the air. Also with DSC off, wheels won’t go faster than 10mph so it’s not easy to find it.

On a lexus forum regarding to famous reoccurring brake judder, there conclusion was that the hub shaft bends at this point:
View attachment 187138
Few of them could cure the problem by replacing the whole hub assembly with a second hand one. Strangely I cannot find the rear hub for XF. They are all second hand assembly or just the bearing only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts