Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this is possible, I had them on my last XF but my current one does not have this function and I found it very useful.

·
Super Moderator
20,334 Posts
I think it's a big job since there are extra sensors in the back bumper so you won't have the loom or programming. I too wish I had them silly mistake not to add them to the spec.

·
Super Moderator
28,976 Posts
The loom might be there, depends if it's part of the main harness, but I doubt the sensors or control modules will be.

Either way it's likely to be expensive.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh well I will just have to suffer!!

I remember on the S-Type R I had when the Sat Nav unit in the boot failed I managed to pick one up from e-bay but it also came with the CD-Auto-changer and Jaguar Voice Module which my car did not have but when I checked the wiring harness and connectors in the boot I found that they were all there so I was able to plug them in and add the auto-changer and voice, when I turned on the ignition everything worked with no issue.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The loom might be there, depends if it's part of the main harness, but I doubt the sensors or control modules will be.

Either way it's likely to be expensive.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
It depends of VIN, in some VIN the loom is already fitted, in others need to order or assemble it yourself, especially loom in rear bumper

·
Registered
679 Posts
For retrofiting BSM you need sensors in rear bumper, harness, and modify the CCF file of vehicle.

P.S. still working in this way :)
Very interesting. I hadn't realized the sensors were actually in the rear of the vehicle, and not miniaturised components in the mirror itself. I'd just assumed that owing to the ridiculous price of a new BSM mirror assembly. I went second-hand to replace mine. I believe the different mirrors have different numbers of wired connections, depending on the features in a particular mirror.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Very interesting. I hadn't realized the sensors were actually in the rear of the vehicle, and not miniaturised components in the mirror itself. I'd just assumed that owing to the ridiculous price of a new BSM mirror assembly. I went second-hand to replace mine. I believe the different mirrors have different numbers of wired connections, depending on the features in a particular mirror.
The powerfold mirrors already has wiring for BSM indicators, difference only in mirror glass (w BSM Indicator or w/o)

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Sorry guys, but this is one thing I have never understood.
The need for BSM that is.
I don't have any blind spot(s) on my car, and never have had on any car I have owned for the last 40 years.
That is because I adjust my external rear view mirrors so that they capture the supposed 3/4 view 'blind spots'. Just as a car moves from my internal rear view mirror it appears in my side mirror and vice versa. Together with the internal rear view mirror I can see 360 degrees around the car with very little head movement. Even in the XF which doesn't have the greatest rear vision.
One of many little checks I conduct when I pull up behind a car at a red traffic light is 'can I see the driver's face in their external rear view mirror?' If yes (and 95% of the time it is yes) then I know they have adjusted their external mirror to give essentially the same view as their internal mirror, and hence they have a 'blind spot'. Which always strikes me as a waste of a perfectly good external rear view mirror. Of course vehicles which can't see much or anything out of their internal mirror are different, such as trucks and tow vehicles.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You'll have a blind spot. It'll be about 1-1.5m out from your rear wheels. It's where a motorcyclist will be.

So don't rely on your mirrors no matter how carefully set, or your BSMs. Look over your shoulder. Always.

Yours,

A grateful, not dead, motorcyclist.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
You'll have a blind spot. It'll be about 1-1.5m out from your rear wheels. It's where a motorcyclist will be.

So don't rely on your mirrors no matter how carefully set, or your BSMs. Look over your shoulder. Always.

Yours,

+1 from me as a motorcyclist too. I always check over my shoulder before manoeuvre in addition to checking mirrors, even though I've tried to minimise any blind spot with careful mirror adjustment. Better safe than sorry!

·
Founder member
9,395 Posts

Yours,

This.

·
Administrator
27,285 Posts
Adjusting the wing mirrors to include the blindspot seriously compromises the rest of the rearward view imo. There's also the problem in winter when the view through the rear screen is virtually nil for half an hour while it demists. That might not be a problem in Oz, but it's significant in the UK. Even a look over the shoulder has to be done meticulously as the B pillar is huge & can easily hide a small truck when you're joining a motorway.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Sorry guys, gotta disagree.
I cannot see (no pun intended!) how having my exterior rear view mirrors adjusted the way I do can possibly compromise the rest of my rear vision. It improves it, it gives me a full overlapping range and not just the same view in three different mirrors
I've never come close to not seeing a motorcyclist or anything else for that matter in any so-called 'blind spot' in over 40 years on the road and close on 1,000,000 km. The last prang I had was over 33 years ago and it wasn't my fault, so I must be doing something right!
If you adjust your exterior mirrors spot on there simply is no area you cannot see, without needing a full over the shoulder check, try it. But the adjustment has to be perfect, and you have to be in the habit of regularly checking all three mirrors (which every driver should do anyway but as we know many check them nowhere near often enough).
However I agree merging from an on-ramp is different and then you do need to look over your shoulder. But that shouldn't be what BMS is used for, in fact I reckon that would be a quite dangerous use of BMS.
I also agree that if/when the rear window is heavily iced up then it makes sense to adjust at least one of your exterior mirrors, preferably the driver's side mirror, so you can see directly behind. But as Stig says, in my part of Oz even in midwinter (ie right now) this hardly ever happens, and when it does I always clear the rear window before I hop in the car. With the thin layer of ice scraped off (and that's all it ever is, a thin layer of frost, I've only ever seen snow once in my life when I went to the Australian Alps about four years ago) and the rear screen demister on I've never known the rear window to ice up while on the move.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
There is a whole industry branch built up to overcome the problem of the "blind spot" with special, partially-curved mirrors, stick-on mirrors, blind-spot detectors (as in the XF), etc. Are we all missing something here when all you have to do is position the mirror correctly? :rolleyes:
It is a recognised FACT that a blind spot exists for most cars fitted with standard rear-view mirrors. Like you Kim, I always (always!!) look over my right shoulder before moving my car in that direction. And on more than one occasion have STILL missed something (like Stig says, hidden behind the huge B pillar).

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Whatever mirrors you with whatever aids or positioned specially you ahould still ALWAYS look over your shoulder. Mirrors can still have a small blind spot and electronic aids can fail, not worth risking others or your own life. If my car had BSM I would turn them off as completely pointless, I would always look over my shoulder before moving sideways...

Sent from the golf club...

·
Super Moderator
20,334 Posts
Whatever mirrors you with whatever aids or positioned specially you ahould still ALWAYS look over your shoulder. Mirrors can still have a small blind spot and electronic aids can fail, not worth risking others or your own life. If my car had BSM I would turn them off as completely pointless, I would always look over my shoulder before moving sideways...

Not sure I agree with you here. In the F Type I had I looked over my shoulder, didn't spot anything and as I looked back at the blind spot indicator in the mirror something was there. I think these are a useful addition to the available information you have over doing a physical looking exercise.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Not sure I agree with you here. In the F Type I had I looked over my shoulder, didn't spot anything and as I looked back at the blind spot indicator in the mirror something was there. I think these are a useful addition to the available information you have over doing a physical looking exercise.
I also have to disagree, mine also warns me when I'm sitting in traffic of anything moving up alongside me, cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, as I'm not moving there's no risk of me hitting anyone but it's nice to have the warning. It also warns me of any other vehicle moving out too close to me when driving. IMO a very good safety aid.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Depends on the car, best visibility is a convertible with the hood down, but then some have awful visibility.

Fair enough if you don't see something and it warns you of something you didn't see, I meant relying on it and not even looking. The reason I said I would not use them is to not become lazy, there are enough people around who don't even use their indicators let without not even looking!!!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I also have to disagree, mine also warns me when I'm sitting in traffic of anything moving up alongside me, cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, as I'm not moving there's no risk of me hitting anyone but it's nice to have the warning. It also warns me of any other vehicle moving out too close to me when driving. IMO a very good safety aid.
Yep fair enough, I haven't used them just hope people don't rely on them without actually looking, that's my worry :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts