Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had a little search and I know there could be multiple things,

Around 4 weeks - 6 weeks ago, I have restricted Performance as soon as i put my foot down ( about 5minutes after starting the car) I turned car off and back on and it went away,

Today, The same thing happened After about 10 minutes of starting the car and driving ( I did put my foot down now and again) I came to the traffic light, Pulled off couple seconds later "restrcited preformance"

Turned car off and on and it went away and drives fine again.

I know people recommend connecting it to a special jag tool because i did use a generic one on my first restricted preformance and no fault codes appeared.

Anyone know rougly what it could be? Is the engine to cold ? I do find my car Revs quite strangely. It goes about 2100 revs before it changes gear ( could be normal) once it changes gear it goes to 1900 revs and then balances around 1500(sometimes)

Its a Jaguar XF X250 08 MODEL DIESEL 2.7 ENGINE

Thanks All :)

·
Administrator
27,359 Posts
The most likely cause when the engine is cold is a sticking turbo actuator. Other possibilities near the top of the long list of causes are, split intercooler, leaking hose, cracked inlet manifold, turbo fault, turbo bypass fault.

You should try reading the codes while it's in RP.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most likely cause when the engine is cold is a sticking turbo actuator. Other possibilities near the top of the long list of causes are, split intercooler, leaking hose, cracked inlet manifold, turbo fault, turbo bypass fault.

You should try reading the codes while it's in RP.
Thanks for Reply, I have seen multiple issues! Sadly I don't have a Reader to hand, Whats the most recommended one to purchase? I used a friends at the time but it was just a basic reader

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
The Autel MaxAP AP200 is a decent one for around £45.

It allows you to read all sorts of engine parameters on the go so you can see if things look to be in spec.

It has a good ‘service’ section as well

It was useful when I was diagnosing my DPF issues.
Mine turned out to be a physical problem, which the code didn’t point to. So they are useful to a point.

ICarsoft LR II is the one of choice. Cheapest I found it was around £135

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I once had RP when a friend accidentally sprayed water accidentally into the air intake.

I had to change the air filter.

I also had RP after my car had been in the dealer for some warranty work. It disappeared after a few choice words and an engine restart.

So not all RPs are catastrophic, and some can be resolved simply by shouting and swearing in the general direction of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I once had RP when a friend accidentally sprayed water accidentally into the air intake.

I had to change the air filter.

I also had RP after my car had been in the dealer for some warranty work. It disappeared after a few choice words and an engine restart.

So not all RPs are catastrophic, and some can be resolved simply by shouting and swearing in the general direction of them.
I've only had it twice at the moment! And both from cold starts and a bit of engine power. It's a weird one, I'd like to think if it was a serious issue then it would happen all the time I use some power hmm?

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you let us have your general location there is a chance a fellow forum member might have an iCarsoft reader or similar to pick up your codes nearby?

·
Registered
810 Posts
For the cost of an icarsoft LR 2 around £135 it will save you loads of money on diagnostics. Sticky turbo actuator sounds like the first port of call, as The Stig say's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you let us have your general location there is a chance a fellow forum member might have an iCarsoft reader or similar to pick up your codes nearby?
That would be a great help, I'm from Cardiff/Bridgend Area

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the cost of an icarsoft LR 2 around £135 it will save you loads of money on diagnostics. Sticky turbo actuator sounds like the first port of call, as The Stig say's
Whats the V1 like? I know someone selling one for £80

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,621 Posts
Before you find that diagnosis tool, there are ways to check.
That behaviour is normal when engine/transmission is cold. Car does it to speedup the warm up. You have delayed gear changes and when you lift off the gas pedal, engine rpm drops (torque converter will not lock). Check for traces of a mist of oil around injectors, under the foam that covers them, throttle shutoff valve and behind RH headlight where the connection to intercooler is. Also generally search for any hissing noise when you revving the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you find that diagnosis tool, there are ways to check.
That behaviour is normal when engine/transmission is cold. Car does it to speedup the warm up. You have delayed gear changes and when you lift off the gas pedal, engine rpm drops (torque converter will not lock). Check for traces of a mist of oil around injectors, under the foam that covers them, throttle shutoff valve and behind RH headlight where the connection to intercooler is. Also generally search for any hissing noise when you revving the engine.
Would this be related to the Restricted Performance?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I believe we are now on LR V3.0, so throw your old ones away and spend, spend, spend!:giggle: Phil

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
I don't think you need an iCarsoft tool to read the fault codes that are going to be thrown up here. A cheapo, bluetooth OBD II reader will suffice.
But I agree with the diagnosis of the secondary turbo valve actuator being the probable culprit. Especially given the OP's description of the RP occurring while giving it some beans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think you need an iCarsoft tool to read the fault codes that are going to be thrown up here. A cheapo, bluetooth OBD II reader will suffice.
But I agree with the diagnosis of the secondary turbo valve actuator being the probable culprit. Especially given the OP's description of the RP occurring while giving it some beans.
The first time it happened i did link it up to my friends OBD Reader, However 0 Codes shown, Haven't tested it whilst in limp mode, So now on the market to find a OBD Reader just in-case it comes back on ever again.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,621 Posts
Would this be related to the Restricted Performance?
Symptoms are 100% related to a problem in calculating how much air is going into engine. It clears after you cycle the engine. most common causes are:
-Bad second MAF sensor. You could swap MAF sensor A and B to rule that out.
-Boost leak: worst case being cracked manifold (oil around injectors is sign). Or intercooler (oil behind RH headlight) Or one of the pipes or seals are gone somewhere. If turbo bypass valve is left open, it could cause a similar symptom as well. We are talking about hair line cracks that won’t show up at idle or sometimes reving while stationary when boost pressure is not going to increase that much.

does check engine light stays on after RP clears? If not probably it’s boost leak.

For this issue, diagnosis software will not help you more than a cheap obd2 reader and that’s only to make sure both MAF sensors and MAP is not faulty. Otherwise you want a smoke leak test.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had this problem, i.e. first start in the morning and after a drive and restarting the engine RP would normally go away. Did a little research and one person cited a partially blocked fuel filter as a cause. When the filter was replaced - it had been n the car for 5 years and about 50k miles - no more RP.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I believe we are now on LR V3.0, so throw your old ones away and spend, spend, spend!:giggle: Phil
Yep a bit more expensive £175 but it looks good. May not be worth the difference for most jobs

·
Registered
810 Posts
Whats the V1 like? I know someone selling one for £80
I would go for the 2 or three. The 3 is £175 the 2 is £40 cheaper and does most things. You can always get a good price for them secondhand.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Go for the AP200, reads 7 digit fault codes, auto reads the vin/model, you can programme injectors, my icarsoft failed to do this despite many attempts. You can add other makes & models for a small charge.
The new icarsoft is just trying to catch up!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts