Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to put this for the best impact so I hope this works and is of some use for people.

I've just been in Lidl Blackpool and spotted this. A twin pack of Redex Diesel System Cleaner (2 x 250ml) for £3.99, making them under £2 per 250ml bottle.

I don't know anything about Redex as I've never used it, but this seems very cheap to me. There was also another pack with a deep red coloured liquid so I assume that's the petrol version. The liquid in the diesel one is very dark, almost black.

Hopefully this will be the same price at other Lidl branches, and I suspect it will go very quickly. Sign did say "while stocks last".

· Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Tesco occasionally sell Redex for £2 a bottle with the Clubcard. At that price I usually grab a couple of bottles of diesel system cleaner which does 4 doses and use it over the course of the following few months. I know there is much debate about how effective these additives are but used occasionally I can't see it doing any harm and the car seems to run well on it.

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a big debate on these additives a couple of months ago:

Premium Diesel vs Redex | Jaguar Forum (jaginfo.org)

Personally, I think these things used occasionally will probably help keep the injectors and the like clean, or at least cleaner, and given the problems many people (myself included) report with DPF issues, mostly due to blockages or sticking parts due to soot build-up, that can only be a good thing.

I've started using Archoil myself, but I bought a couple of bottles anyway. For anyone who uses Redex and is near a Lidl I thought this was worth a look. A friend of mine who lives near the other branch in town confirms they have some too.

I can confirm that the red ones are the petrol version.

· Registered
25,010 Posts
I've posted this before but is appropriate here again. This is pretty convincing regarding the effectiveness of ReddeX.

Reactions: RickJagXF

· Registered
6,601 Posts
I've posted this before but is appropriate here again. This is pretty convincing regarding the effectiveness of ReddeX.

I still don't believe it 🤣.

What's to say the cars not been used in ages and had old fuel in, they've stuck and redex in, used it for a week, put some fresh fuel in and it's running a whole lot better than it did before. There's probably as many videos disproving it, as there are proving it.

Reactions: Coolcity

· Registered
25,010 Posts
I still don't believe it 🤣.

What's to say the cars not been used in ages and had old fuel in, they've stuck and redex in, used it for a week, put some fresh fuel in and it's running a whole lot better than it did before. There's probably as many videos disproving it, as there are proving it.
Like everything else in life, one tends to believe what most closely approximates to one's own beliefs/prejuidices. So if you don't believe or want to beleve that Reddex does anything, nothing is going to convince you otherwise.
I like to thnk I'm more open-minded than that and do take on board the reputation of this program and its presenters. What axe would they have to grind one way or the other? (Rhetorical - not looking for an answer.)

· Registered
6,601 Posts
Like everything else in life, one tends to believe what most closely approximates to one's own beliefs/prejuidices. So if you don't believe or want to beleve that Reddex does anything, nothing is going to convince you otherwise.
I like to thnk I'm more open-minded than that and do take on board the reputation of this program and its presenters. What axe would they have to grind one way or the other? (Rhetorical - not looking for an answer.)
I fully understand what you're saying, I am probably slightly more cynical (and northern) when anyone is trying to sell me something, make a profit etc. I usually ask myself if I like the product, does it make a difference to my life ect. In this case, not really and not really worth my hard earned cash. Each to their own though.

Reactions: OBC John

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't really want to reopen a can of worms again, but I have to agree with John on this occasion. I can be very cynical when it comes to product claims in business too, but you have to keep an open mind, and it's been around for long enough for people to decide if it does make any difference. It's really for those people who may buy this from time to time that I posted this.

Going back to the DPF thread, what I can say is that since adding the Oilsyn additive I can now accelerate to the red line, probably for the first time since I got the car last June, so these things must do something. It hasn't completely cured the Restricted Performance issue but power and responsiveness are night and day in comparison to what they were.

· Registered
4,845 Posts
How are you finding the Oilsyn?
I've been thinking about giving it a try after hearing about it in the DPF thread earlier this week. I don't think I'll bother with the Oilsyn PEATech Petrol Doctor Fuel System & Engine Cleaner because in addition to PDI I've also got MPI so my valves should be nice and clean, but perhaps the Oilsyn Petrol Power DNA Fuel Conditioner would be more suitable and quite a few treatments out of it as well.

Their repeated use of some charts and graphics doesn't bode well with me though. Do I detect the slight whiff of a rat? Maybe...maybe...

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been thinking about giving it a try after hearing about it in the DPF thread earlier this week. I don't think I'll bother with the Oilsyn PEATech Petrol Doctor Fuel System & Engine Cleaner because in addition to PDI I've also got MPI so my valves should be nice and clean, but perhaps the Oilsyn Petrol Power DNA Fuel Conditioner would be more suitable and quite a few treatments out of it as well.

Their repeated use of some charts and graphics doesn't bode well with me though. Do I detect the slight whiff of a rat? Maybe...maybe...
I don't read too much into the presentation. As somebody who has been self employed for over 30 years, it's very difficult to know what is the best way to get your message out there, especially for smaller businesses who do not have a multi million dollar advertising budget and cannot afford to employ experts. Some of the Before and After photos are probably a bit of a stretch but I think they're just trying to get the message across.

All I can say is I used the Miller Eco Boost to clean the MAPT sensor recently, so assuming it works on a similar basis, The results were impressive. I first wiped the top surface with a paper towel but there was a lot of gunk that had solidified on there. I tried gently scraping it at first, but it wouldn't budge. I then poured some Millers onto it and left it for a few minutes, no more than 5 minutes or so, and it wiped off completely with ease. That's using it neat of course, but to me it did prove how powerful it is.

Just to sum up, since adding the Oilsyn, I can now accelerate to the red line without going into RP mode for the first time ever, and this is bearing in mind that I've been using first Millers Eco Boost for a couple of months, then for the past few weeks the Archoil AR6400 DMax, and while acceleration has been smoother, I have still had the RP issue kicking in at 2800-3000 revs most of the time.

Changing the actuator didn't resolve it, and didn't change the way the car runs. What did change is RP started to happen at lower revs, around 2000 revs, and on deceleration. That still happens occasionally (so maybe the actuator DID need changing and this indicates a different problem), but since adding the Oilsyn fuel economy appears way better, I've been able to do a (forged) regen which completed for the first time ever, and there's a vast difference in acceleration, as well as being able to accelerate well past 4k revs. I have tried things such as STP DPF cleaner a couple of times and a similar Wynns product over the past year, and they didn't make any difference whatsoever.

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I don't read too much into the presentation. As somebody who has been self employed for over 30 years, it's very difficult to know what is the best way to get your message out there, especially for smaller businesses who do not have a multi million dollar advertising budget and cannot afford to employ experts. Some of the Before and After photos are probably a bit of a stretch but I think they're just trying to get the message across.

All I can say is I used the Miller Eco Boost to clean the MAPT sensor recently, so assuming it works on a similar basis, The results were impressive. I first wiped the top surface with a paper towel but there was a lot of gunk that had solidified on there. I tried gently scraping it at first, but it wouldn't budge. I then poured some Millers onto it and left it for a few minutes, no more than 5 minutes or so, and it wiped off completely with ease. That's using it neat of course, but to me it did prove how powerful it is.

Just to sum up, since adding the Oilsyn, I can now accelerate to the red line without going into RP mode for the first time ever, and this is bearing in mind that I've been using first Millers Eco Boost for a couple of months, then for the past few weeks the Archoil AR6400 DMax, and while acceleration has been smoother, I have still had the RP issue kicking in at 2800-3000 revs most of the time. I have to say that cleaning the sensor made a big difference as well but there's more to it than just that.

Changing the actuator didn't resolve it, and didn't change the way the car runs. What did change is RP started to happen at lower revs, around 2000 revs, and on deceleration. That still happens occasionally (so maybe the actuator DID need changing and this indicates a different problem), but since adding the Oilsyn fuel economy appears way better, I've been able to do a (forged) regen which completed for the first time ever, and there's a vast difference in acceleration, as well as being able to accelerate well past 4k revs. I have tried things such as STP DPF cleaner a couple of times and a similar Wynns product over the past year, and they didn't make any difference whatsoever.

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just for reference, I contacted Oilsyn (aka Archoil/Powerenhancer), briefly explained the issue I had been having and asked what the best fuel additive product was going forward (for preventative maintenance), Archoil AR6400 or Oilsyn Race DNA.

This was the reply from Andrew Archer's office:

"If cleaning is the primary requirement then I would recommend Oilsyn Diesel Power DNA, as this is much better at cleaning than Diesel Race DNA."

That would suggest it's an improvement on AR6400 and it's still a lot cheaper than using premium diesel. I had actually missed this product completely, so I haven't had a look at it yet but I will have a read later. Link here for anybody who may be interested, especially if you're already using Archoil.

Oilsyn Diesel Power DNA - 1 Litre

21,645 Posts

Just to sum up, since adding the Oilsyn, I can now accelerate to the red line without going into RP mode for the first time ever, and this is bearing in mind that I've been using first Millers Eco Boost for a couple of months, then for the past few weeks the Archoil AR6400 DMax, and while acceleration has been smoother, I have still had the RP issue kicking in at 2800-3000 revs most of the time. I have to say that cleaning the sensor made a big difference as well but there's more to it than just that.

Good news on finding what works for you, and due diligence getting in touch with Archoil.

Not so good on the RP at 2000rpm. You mentioned an actuator - I presume this was the turbo actuator? Have you also looked at the possibility that the intercooler has a spit manifold?

I only ask - as I had this problem with my first XF

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good news on finding what works for you, and due diligence getting in touch with Archoil.

Not so good on the RP at 2000rpm. You mentioned an actuator - I presume this was the turbo actuator? Have you also looked at the possibility that the intercooler has a spit manifold?

I only ask - as I had this problem with my first XF
Sorry about the late reply, I've been run off my feet the past couple of weeks.

RP issue was solved, bizarre problem in the end - somebody who had looked t it previously had removed the two MAF sensors and refitted each one in the other's slot, i.e. sensor 1 was inserted into slot 2, and sensor 2 into slot 1.

There was another, possibly related issue. The MAPT (manifold pressure sensor) was full of oil, some of it caked on, and it ran a lot sweeter with more obvious power after that had been cleaned. In fact it made such a difference that it is well worth mentioning this to anybody who has similar sounding issues. It's a 30 second job to remove it and 5 minute job to clean it, quick and free fix. No doubt for some people it could be nothing more than that, yet I've never seen it mentioned at all anywhere before on threads relating to similar issues.

Everything has been absolutely fine since, albeit I haven't had the chance to really go anywhere in it since it was done. Full details on the original thread, from around page 10:

DPF not regenerating? (Finally solved!) | Page 10 | Jaguar Forum (jaginfo.org)

· Registered
25,010 Posts
Good news re the RP issue.
But AFAIK, the two MAF sensors are identical parts so swapping them over shouldn't be an issue? Or was it the connectors that were swapped?

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news re the RP issue.
But AFAIK, the two MAF sensors are identical parts so swapping them over shouldn't be an issue? Or was it the connectors that were swapped?
Sorry, my fault for not explaining it properly. It was the connectors, not the actual sensors. I'm pretty sure, as you say, the sensors are identical and I was initially puzzled when the garage first told me what the problem had been. I know it took them a while to find the problem, and it was only because somebody noticed that one of the connectors seemed to be stretched further than it was supposed to be that it was found at all.

That said, to be honest I think it was the blocked MAPT sensor that had been causing most of the problem because the difference after I'd cleaned it was night and day. Prior to that, it was almost certainly the actuator that was causing the RP issue at ~3000rpm and the subsequent DPF not regenerating as a result of that.

Which reminds me, I did order a replacement MAPT sensor and was told it was out of stock (after I'd paid of course), but I haven't heard anything since. I'll have to chase that up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts