Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I reckon Alan has been past your house with a bucket of nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reckon you’re right… Too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
The plot thickens... :unsure:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ah, umm, due to the very restricted number of tyres available, covid etc, due to supply and demand (ok, ok, so only 1 person wants/needs a set), the price may have to go up...... it's called capitalism! Joking of course, and I emphatically deny I was me sprinkling fastening hardware at the end of your driveway :whistle:

Reactions: Sdotk and ChrisSB

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Got the 285s fitted, can clearly see they're over an inch less wide, across the contact tread, with sloping in sidewalls, whereas the 295s had visibly very upright sidewalls. Hopefully the tyres will fit in the arches now. Still looks to be close though. I do wonder where these wheels came from, is the offset correct for a XKR or were they made for a XKR-S?

295s:

285s:

The ride height difference with the 285s is because the car hasn't been settled after being raised to remove and refit the wheels.

What gets me though, is why is the tread width of a MP4S 285/30ZR20 26mm less than a 295/30ZR20? Logic would say it should be 10mm difference?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 13 plate xkr with speed & dynamic pack came from the dealer with Vulcans & 295’s on the rear. I also have the pilot 4s on there. I’ve not noticed any marking on the tyres, but then haven’t really submarined big time into a dip. That said, I have however wondered If they catch, as the wheel arch lip is very slightly deformed both sides, in front of the wheel about 4” above the cill joint line, looks like it’s been pulled down slightly. I would have expected the lip to be pushed up, but I guess with a tyre turning it may pull it. I’m not sure if its been there since I got the car though.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The XKR Dynamic pack, as fitted to later facelift XKRs, includes the suspension from the XKR-S. Exactly what the difference on the components are I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect the uprights and arms are different, possibly a slightly narrower width, hub to hub, hence the Vulcans from the Dynamic have an ET of 38. Not had a chance to drive my XKR with the new 285s yet, let alone in anger. Will feed back when I do.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
They look like my F-type wheels.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
10.5Jx20 ET38 would appear to be the rear wheel size from a F-Type, after a quick Google. That explains where the wheels came from then I think. And why they protrude so far.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
10.5J has a recommended min of 265 and max of 295 width tyre.

Might go some way to explaining why the 295s had more of a boxed shoulder (but doesn’t explain why the 285s look more stretched).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine are the same size & came with the car. They weren’t fitted after the fact by a dealer, it’s on the factory build sheet, an add on by the dealer wouldn’t show on that.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Seems it’s the dynamic pack that makes all the difference. Alan’s is a speed pack.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
^^^

Yep. The later Dynamic Pack cars have the XKR-S rear suspension, these cars use ET38 wheels, as do F-Types, and of course, the XKR-S (as far as my research has shown). My car, even with the Speed pack, should be fitted with ET52 rears, and can accomodate 295 tyres. The additional 14mm wheel offset of an ET38 wheel fitted to my car, is enough to cause the 295 tyres to foul the wheel arch. According to Michelin, the difference in tread width between their 285 and 295 tyre is 28mm. While I won't have a full clearance of 14mm as of course the tyre shoulder is sloped and rounded, and the full width of the tyre isn't 28mm less, just the tread, fingers crossed, it's enough. By eye, I'm not so sure though. Still not had a chance to get out and drive it with gusto.

Reactions: Swindon Andy

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It's fixed!

Finally managed to take the XKR out for a hoon about. There's a very decent road just outside Matlock that has an excellent mix of twists, turns, fast but sharp bends and open stretches that is just perfect for testing if my tyres may still catch the wheel arches. There's also a few straightish sections where the road traverses from down hill to uphill suddenly, if taken at (maybe illegal) speed it'll cause full suspension compression. Good news: not a sound from the rear tyres on the rear arches, the new smaller tyres worked! Plus these MP4S's are insanely sticky, it takes a lot to make them let go, very reassuring.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Great to hear! We’re both happy with pockets that are little lighter.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts