Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looking at the tirerack.com website, they have all the specs listed for the tyres, including the tread widths. Looking up the "generic" 285/30R20 99Y vs the 295/30R20 101Y, was eye opening. 10" vs 11.1". No wonder they're catching!

It's also stated not to use the tyre if the ambient temperature drops to -7C or less, and the tyre must be warmed to at least +5C before even rolling the car.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The non M0 won’t give you an issue with the 285s. Blackcircles have them when I checked yesterday.
Seems Blackcircles is the only place with them, so have 2 on order now. Just hope the correct size tyres on the Vulcan rims do clear the arches 😬

So, looks like I'll have a pair of Michelin MP4S 295/30R20 101Y tyres for sale, with less than 300 miles on them. There's no chunks missing nor any heavy scoring from where they were catching, it's just light marking which I expect will be much less noticeable or maybe pretty much gone once the tyres get a bit of use. £275 (or close offer) for both, collect from Ripley, Derbyshire or send a courier, maybe I can meet halfway if not a million miles away? Should nicely fill the rear arches on a XFR!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Seems Blackcircles is the only place with them, so have 2 on order now. Just hope the correct size tyres on the Vulcan rims do clear the arches

So, looks like I'll have a pair of Michelin MP4S 295/30R20 101Y tyres for sale, with less than 300 miles on them. There's no chunks missing nor any heavy scoring from where they were catching, it's just light marking which I expect will be much less noticeable or maybe pretty much gone once the tyres get a bit of use. £275 (or close offer) for both, collect from Ripley, Derbyshire or send a courier, maybe I can meet halfway if not a million miles away? Should nicely fill the rear arches on a XFR!
That’s a steal! Very very tempted but based on my last set I’ve got at least 15k of life yet

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Hi,

We had the same with my wife's car when fitted with some bigger rims. Under load the wheels might also rotate outward. You can see this if you are driving behind the car. You might adjust your driving style which is the cheapest solution. Another relative cheap option is to install limiters in your springs. These are simple rubber blocks limiting the travel of the springs. Under heavy driving they just block the dive and prevent the rubber hitting the metal of the arches.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We had the same with my wife's car when fitted with some bigger rims. Under load the wheels might also rotate outward. You can see this if you are driving behind the car. You might adjust your driving style which is the cheapest solution. Another relative cheap option is to install limiters in your springs. These are simple rubber blocks limiting the travel of the springs. Under heavy driving they just block the dive and prevent the rubber hitting the metal of the arches.
Yes, I had considered doing just that, either with coil spring assisters or additional bump stops. Either though, is altering how the suspension was designed to work, and spring assisters may actually increase the static ride height. Driving like Miss Daisy isn't an option! I had to do so last night for 120 miles to save any further damage to the tyres, not a fun way to drive the XKR!

What width are the rear alloys?

Are they 10J or 10.5J?

275/35R20 tyres may then be an option.
Just took a rear wheel off: the Vulcan rims are 10.5Jx20 ET38. Making me wonder even more now. Rear Kasuga and Kalimnos are showing as 10Jx20 ET46, so my Vulcans are 12mm wider, but sit 2mm further out due to the larger offset, unless my maths is messed up? Add to the 2mm the extra width of the 295 tyre, (28mm /2 = 14mm) so the new 285 tyres when fitted will be, in theory 14mm less tread width, so should clear. I hope......

·
Super Moderator
29,738 Posts
That’s interesting as the XFR-S 10.5J rears have 295 tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

If those rears are still available I’ll have them please…

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not gonna sell them to you if you're just gonna stick nails in them, what a waste..... :whistle:

Yes of course, we'll work logistics etc once they're off, mobile tyre fitter with the replacement 285's is due on Tuesday. I'll just check that in the 300 miles I've done on them, I didn't find a nail, or screw, or allen key.....

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Lol I’ll try my best but can’t promise anything.

They’re both on the same tyre too. What are the chances!

·
Registered
8,242 Posts

If those rears are still available I’ll have them please…
Bu99er!! Have you been down to Cornwall Saqib?..

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
LOL I haven’t Pete but I was thinking of you when the tyre shop showed me the culprits.
Are they repairable? Or did you get the "too close to the sidewall" story?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Are they repairable? Or did you get the "too close to the sidewall" story?
The latter John, he did say “I can repair it but on a car like this I wouldn’t”. To be fair, they are both on the shoulder so probably a bit close.

·
Super Moderator
29,738 Posts
This didn’t age very well…
I reckon Alan has been past your house with a bucket of nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PeteA
21 - 40 of 56 Posts