Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, me again,
Since my visit to strastone, I have been told I have water ingress in the rear offside light cluster, strange really as it's been serviced by them since new. I have known about this problem ever since I bought the car, neglect on my part. My question is this, there is no mark, chip, crack, hole, anywhere on the Lense, so I'm thinking it's the seal, is this an easy fix?
stratstone have quoted me nearly £800. Apparently, the only light that isn't working is the fog light.

·
Registered
24,778 Posts
Condensation in the rear lights is a universal(!) feature of the X351 to the point of being almost normal. It does not affect functionality and absolutely does NOT need replacing! I'm horrified that Stratstone are trying to sell you a new one (which would itself start "sweating" almost immediately).
Mine have it. And I've promised myself that one day I will get behind the boot lining and look for the bung that I believe exists in the back of the light. I've read that just removing this cures the issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Condensation in the rear lights is a universal(!) feature of the X351 to the point of being almost normal. It does not affect functionality and absolutely does NOT need replacing! I'm horrified that Stratstone are trying to sell you a new one (which would itself start "sweating" almost immediately).
Mine have it. And I've promised myself that one day I will get behind the boot lining and look for the bung that I believe exists in the back of the light. I've read that just removing this cures the issue.
I would think john, that the only money they can make at this moment, is trying to sell something we don't need, they have no cars to sell.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
1,208 Posts
Hi Guys, me again,
Since my visit to strastone, I have been told I have water ingress in the rear offside light cluster, strange really as it's been serviced by them since new. I have known about this problem ever since I bought the car, neglect on my part. My question is this, there is no mark, chip, crack, hole, anywhere on the Lense, so I'm thinking it's the seal, is this an easy fix?
stratstone have quoted me nearly £800. Apparently, the only light that isn't working is the fog light.
Nearly £800.00 fgs…! This was also a long standing Toyota light fault. Remove bung AFTER WINTER that John refers to, and blow hairdryer up yer hole. Condensation gone…..repeat within a year.……and every year.

• Helpful
Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Same issue with Golf headlights, that's precisely the reason they're vented though. Going from warm to very cold can sometimes create a light condensation in the bottom half of them. Not helped by having LED lights which emit almost no heat at all.

Clears quickly though when the temperature and moisture level equalises.

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,313 Posts
If & when other lights are affected then best route is finding a breaker & get one from there, should be much cheaper.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same issue with Golf headlights, that's precisely the reason they're vented though. Going from warm to very cold can sometimes create a light condensation in the bottom half of them. Not helped by having LED lights which emit almost no heat at all.

Clears quickly though when the temperature and moisture level equalises.
Phil the funny thing is, nowhere on the unit is a chip crack, hole, and in last summer's heat, which seems a long way off, it did not clear completely. What really makes me smile it's been like it when the car was under warranty, why is this the first time it was mentioned?

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Phil the funny thing is, nowhere on the unit is a chip crack, hole, and in last summer's heat, which seems a long way off, it did not clear completely. What really makes me smile it's been like it when the car was under warranty, why is this the first time it was mentioned?
Chances are, if you'd have mentioned it yourself when it was under the warranty, you'd have got the answer that "Oh they all do that sir, we won't be able to get it covered under the warranty".

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much water is in there? As John says above, condensation in the rear light cluster is perfectly normal, and a ‘feature’ (read: not a warranty claimable defect) on the XJ.
It does look more than just condensation, although it's not pooling at the bottom of the lamp unit. But for the life of me I can't work out where it's getting in, I've had a microscope on it, still can't fathom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts