Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Find out that I don't think either of my rear doors are locking (at all). I've had the door cards off to apply carbon wrap, is there a chance I've not plugged somethingback in? Or what else can I look at?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Find out that I don't think either of my rear doors are locking (at all). I've had the door cards off to apply carbon wrap, is there a chance I've not plugged somethingback in? Or what else can I look at?
The throttles could be not fixed in guides, recheck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throttles?

·
Super Moderator
27,536 Posts
He means the cables. You have to make sure the cables are clipped into the rear of the door handles on the door cards.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's more likely the other common fault of the XF, the locking mechanism fails after some time and you'll need new latches. Probably this was happening long time before but just now you cared about them and realize about.

·
Super Moderator
27,536 Posts
It's more likely the other common fault of the XF, the locking mechanism fails after some time and you'll need new latches. Probably this was happening long time before but just now you cared about them and realize about.
Too soon to be going down that route. Check the cables are clipped in first.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the electrical plugs aren't fine inserted, the whole car will trigger a beep sound and not lock. Maybe just the case of the cable not being correctly inserted and got stuck but this could be easily tested: if the doors can unlock and open using inside lever, then it can also lock. There is only one cable used for both function (open and lock/unlock).
My car had this for both doors and tried many things until buying other locks. None actually worked. Initially it wasn't locking and found out when somebody opened the door before unlocking the car and also the alarm started. Then this happened some more times and then some others couldn't get in. In the end, both doors were manually locked/unlocked.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect I didn't clip them back in properly, hence why I mentioned it. I'll rip one off tonight to check

·
Super Moderator
27,536 Posts
I suspect I didn't clip them back in properly, hence why I mentioned it. I'll rip one off tonight to check
Happened to me as well. I think it came unclipped when I was refitting. You’ll spot it if you take it off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, one door fixed perfect, 2nd door no go :( when I lock I see the locking mechanism trying to move, but not locking. Ideas on a plate please :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
It'll be the door lock mechanism that has failed... I've replaced three of them - the latest one being last weekend.

I found my latest aftermarket replacement on eBay for £50 (new).
As the original JLR ones seem so prone to failure - I had no desire to buy an OEM lock from Jaguar.

James

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought it 2nd hand but does have a years warranty, just seems like hassle :) no repair, oiling or something needed?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The first one of mine that broke - I spent hours trying to repair it. The solenoid just didn't have enough power to operate to lock.... no amount of fiddling or oil would remedy it.

If you operate the lock by hand from inside the car (pushing/pulling the tab next to the handle), is there much resistance?

James

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@jimini78, yes feels a lot rougher I would say, the other rear one isn't perfect but feels like it moves with less resistance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There are very few moving parts involved with locking the door (unlike the many moving parts involved when pulling a handle to open the door).

If it's not the lock switch next to the inner door handle causing the resistance - the only other point of resistance is the lock mechanism itself... and you'll need to remove it from the inside of the door to investigate further.

Good luck!

James

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe I'll contact the garage and get it done under warranty ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd forgotten about that bit.
Yeah, that sounds a little easier... but where's the fun in getting someone else to do it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheaper ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are very few moving parts involved with locking the door (unlike the many moving parts involved when pulling a handle to open the door).

If it's not the lock switch next to the inner door handle causing the resistance - the only other point of resistance is the lock mechanism itself... and you'll need to remove it from the inside of the door to investigate further.

Good luck!

James

Hi James,

Dont suppose you know the part code for this? I've got the same problem by the sounds of it.

Thanks
Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts