Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Did you guys had the car level during the process?

does is matter if the rear wheels are hanging?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts

Mine was over the pit, so I would guess perfectly level.

The other thing which crossed my mind was fluid temperature (after watching some videos on the ZF transmission fluid change) but if my new fluid was cold then I would guess the opposite effect than if it had been warmed up? Unless it needed times to trickle down like when filling engine oil, but I wouldn't have thought the diff was big enough for that?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Car was level.

It doesn't matter if the suspension is unloaded, but it may make it difficult to get on to the fill plug the way I did it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Changed the oil in the E-diff on the XKR. That's a struggle and a right PITA. There's only 30mm space next to the fill plug and the chassis/suspension, it's impossible to get an allen socket in there. Managed to find a combination of an 8mm allen bit from an impact driver set used with an 8mm ratchet spanner. There was just enough room using long nose pliers to get the bit and spanner seated in the plug, but access was very tight. The drained oil was still golden, so that's a good sign. There was around 3mm of black metallic gunge stuck to the drain plug magnet but expected that. So glad I bought a 500ml Sealey oil syringe, was perfect for refilling the 1.25l of oil.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My oil was very, very dark but Matt wasn’t concerned by that or the state of the magnet. Said it all looked as expected for the mileage.

My car was warm when I got there as it was about 80ish miles there so the old oil came out pretty quickly but he left it to drip for a while.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Update: going back in at some point in the near future to have the missing 50ml put in.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts