Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for that hamedhbb. I'm doing this the same time I do the gearbox/filter op.
Already done the same on my 97 XK so well versed!!

·
Registered
891 Posts

Fill plug For those interested. Very hard to get a decent picture to be honest

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think refill is 650ml. I bought Syntrax long life that according to castrol website replaces the saf-xo
Didn’t someone comment 1.2l?

Was that for the R/R-S only?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The illustration in the manual shows the filler plug to the left side of the diff casing, near the electric motor, which looks to be close to the input flange:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yep, just had a look, the fill plug is on the left side, as in the diagram above.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,325 Posts
Didn’t someone comment 1.2l?

Was that for the R/R-S only?
1.25 for the R and R-S from memory and 1.3 from dry...

Pretty sure the non R versions were still over 1l though, but would have to dig out the images that I extracted

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
For the standard open diff I'm sure it's just over 0.9 litre, but now I'm thinking I'll double check lol

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for that hamedhbb. I'm doing this the same time I do the gearbox/filter op.
Already done the same on my 97 XK so well versed!!
Sorry it’s 0.85L for standard and 1.25L for supercharged.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
That's some grunt for the Halfshaft constant velocity joints 221 lb-ft! Phil

Reactions: drewdrew

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
What about the SV8. Its a supercharged model, but has a standard open diff....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What about the SV8. Its a supercharged model, but has a standard open diff....
Manual says all supercharged cars have electric rear differential but in 2014 design has changed slightly.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Well it's incorrect. The SV8 doesn't have an ediff.

I'm assuming in this iteration of the manual the SV8 must have been discontinued by then and there was only the 5litre supercharged available.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well it's incorrect. The SV8 doesn't have an ediff.

I'm assuming in this iteration of the manual the SV8 must have been discontinued by then and there was only the 5litre supercharged available.
You are right. Just checked WM from 2008 and it seems all classic models share the same rear diff including 4.2L. However it’s published in 2011. Recommended oil is different as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The diff fill plug is easy to get out.
All you need is a long Allen key socket, extension and ratchet. You can feed it in along the driveshaft and onto the fill plug.
I put the correct fill quantity in mine, after leaving it to drain for ages (measured about 1.2ltrs of old black oil). however the fluid was slowly dripped out the fill plug once done, but it states add fill quantity to ensure the correct amount and not fill until it runs out for the correct level. Mine did both 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
891 Posts
All you need is a long Allen key socket, extension and ratchet. You can feed it in along the driveshaft and onto the fill plug.
I put the correct fill quantity in mine, after leaving it to drain for ages (measured about 1.2ltrs of old black oil). however the fluid was slowly dripped out the fill plug once done, but it states add fill quantity to ensure the correct amount and not fill until it runs out for the correct level. Mine did both
That’s the problem Matt (at spires) was having. As he’s not a garage as such he was struggling to get tools long enough.

We put 1.2 in and it didn’t it didn’t overflow.

My diff seems to be 50ml short of being correctly filled though based on what people have put above.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That’s the problem Matt (at spires) was having. As he’s not a garage as such he was struggling to get tools long enough.

We put 1.2 in and it didn’t it didn’t overflow.

My diff seems to be 50ml short of being correctly filled though based on what people have put above.
I put 1.25ltrs in mine and it just started to drip out.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I put the correct fill quantity in mine, after leaving it to drain for ages (measured about 1.2ltrs of old black oil). however the fluid was slowly dripped out the fill plug once done, but it states add fill quantity to ensure the correct amount and not fill until it runs out for the correct level. Mine did both 🤷🏼‍♂️
This happened with my diff fluid change as well (although mine is the open diff). Drained it until nothing more came out, then measured new stuff as per manual and slowly filled but at the very last drop some came out. I'm not bothered, it sounds fine, drives fine and would rather have a few ml difference of fresh fluid that keep that old stuff in.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts