Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what is the oil change recommended schedule for the rear ‘standard’ diff on my XF S. Also, from my search it seems Castrol has replaced SAF-XO 75w-90 with Syntrax Long Life 75w-90. Wondering If anyone have used this new one.

·
Registered
883 Posts
As others have suggested, the safest bet is to get it direct from the dealership. That’s what spires will be doing for me for next week.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know that on castrol official website it says SAF-XO is replaced with Syntrax Long Life. The price is the same. It’s just it’s newer and might be better.

also I think XFR-S recommended oil is different from those with standard diff.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I would say the rear axle wouldn't need to be exactly the correct oil. So long as it's roughly the same viscosity, any new oil will probably be far superior to the old stuff.

The Ediff would be a different story as it has clutches inside.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I used that superseded Castrol stuff (link) and it's been absolutely fine. My car is at 73k miles so for the sake of less than £20 and a very easy job I figured why not do it. One point to note is that the fill hole isn't the biggest, I only just got this one to fit but worked a treat once in (link)

I find the rear diff is a little like the cabin filter and is often forgotten about.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used that superseded Castrol stuff (link) and it's been absolutely fine. My car is at 73k miles so for the sake of less than £20 and a very easy job I figured why not do it. One point to note is that the fill hole isn't the biggest, I only just got this one to fit but worked a treat once in (link)

I find the rear diff is a little like the cabin filter and is often forgotten about.
I placed the order.
I don’t see any records and mine has 150k on the clock without issues. I am servicing the box next weekend and thought once the car is lifted, I should do diff as well.
I have a similar pump. Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say the rear axle wouldn't need to be exactly the correct oil. So long as it's roughly the same viscosity, any new oil will probably be far superior to the old stuff.

The Ediff would be a different story as it has clutches inside.
I see what you mean but considering the weight of car and torque, I thought maybe there is a specific reason behind the recommendation. It seems it’s one the best however.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm thinking of changing the oil in my diff (2011 3.0D) rather than just topping it up. Is there a drain plug or do we have to suck the old oil out?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I'm thinking of changing the oil in my diff (2011 3.0D) rather than just topping it up. Is there a drain plug or do we have to suck the old oil out?
I didn't think the diff lost oil over time? Drain plug at bottom of the diff. The fill plug is tucked away higher up, you kinda have to feel for it and usually give it a clean first to get a good purchase.

You will need a syringe and tubing to get the new fluid in. As usual, always good to remind that the fill plug should be removed first.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just got to spires and Matt is struggle to get to fill plug.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Got there in the end!

BOT 720 for the R-S.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Got there in the end!

BOT 720 for the R-S.
Is the fill plug for the e-diff in the side/front-ish rather than the rear? Having a look under the XKR on the lift and I can't even see up the rear of the diff there's so much other stuff too close to it.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,310 Posts
Is the fill plug for the e-diff in the side/front-ish rather than the rear? Having a look under the XKR on the lift and I can't even see up the rear of the diff there's so much other stuff too close to it.
Yes it is right up there too, I loosened the back boxes to get in there

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just want to emphasise that for rear diff, one should not fill it up to filling hole. You have to measure how much oil you put in.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yep, aware of that! Just from the diagram I couldn't see where the filling hole is!

·
Registered
883 Posts

Had to take the boxes off to get to it (Matt didn’t have the tooling as he doesn’t usually do this sort of stuff)

The plug is on the left hand side looking at it from the back of the car. Will take a pic for you shortly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
All good info on this thread. Mine is a 2011 3.0D portfolio. As far as I'm aware it just has a standard diff and the oil is Castrol SAF 75W90. How much oil does the diff take?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
All good info on this thread. Mine is a 2011 3.0D portfolio. As far as I'm aware it just has a standard diff and the oil is Castrol SAF 75W90. How much oil does the diff take?
I think refill is 850ml. I bought Syntrax long life that according to castrol website replaces the saf-xo

1 - 20 of 46 Posts