Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 2013 Sportbrake. Unfortunately, I cannot get it up my steep driveway, because the front bumper would scrape on the ground.

Is there a way of somehow raising the front just for maneuvering? Could the front be jacked up on the level and something be put in the front suspension that locks it in its extended position? Obviously unsuitable for driving but perfectly OK for walking speed maneuvering. It is just for those times I want it close to the garage for maintenance so that I don't have the bonnet up etc in the road.

The other option is ramps but they would have to be long and cumbersome to overcome the transition between the pavement and my driveway.

Final option is to move house, but I don't want it to come to that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried both forwards and reverse. The transition is so severe that the front contacts the ground in either direction. Same for trying a 45 degree approach.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It is a pain, a type of ramp maybe the only way one that can be removed when in.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
They only have self leveling on the back on sportbrakes don't they? The front is pretty much the same setup as the rest of the XFs.

You're options as far as I can see is....

Change the car for something more suitable

Move house

Have the driveway levelled

Swap the suspension for something non standard, which will probably cause you issues if you've got the adaptive suspension, no idea if this is standard on the sportbrakes with it being a totally different setup at the back.

Somehow install something permanent to raise the front end. (Not advisable as it'll probably ruin the handling).

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
4,207 Posts

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Use a couple of heavy scaffolding planks to ease the angle.
Make sure to secure them to the ground, perhaps a long coach bolt through the plank into the ground at each end, if it's concrete or bitmac.
And maybe add timber at the centre to avoid them bending too much.

You could get a local metal shop to make you up a couple of trailer ramp type things that would do the same job and be stronger

·
Registered
20,257 Posts
Use a couple of heavy scaffolding planks to ease the angle.
Make sure to secure them to the ground, perhaps a long coach bolt through the plank into the ground at each end, if it's concrete or bitmac.
And maybe add timber at the centre to avoid them bending too much.

You could get a local metal shop to make you up a couple of trailer ramp type things that would do the same job and be stronger
Basically this.
You need to transition the sharp angle with a ramp between the level ground and the angled drive. Permanent or removable.

Reactions: Ianf and FCS

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Basically this.
You need to transition the sharp angle with a ramp between the level ground and the angled drive. Permanent or removable.
or change the car.

May I recommend a Velar.

Reactions: Kennyd90

·
Registered
358 Posts
You can get lower spring seat collars that sit below the coil spring to raise the ride height.
They came on Indian Market XF's and are available from Jaguar.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have just bought a 2013 Sportbrake. Unfortunately, I cannot get it up my steep driveway, because the front bumper would scrape on the ground.

Is there a way of somehow raising the front just for maneuvering? Could the front be jacked up on the level and something be put in the front suspension that locks it in its extended position? Obviously unsuitable for driving but perfectly OK for walking speed maneuvering. It is just for those times I want it close to the garage for maintenance so that I don't have the bonnet up etc in the road.

The other option is ramps but they would have to be long and cumbersome to overcome the transition between the pavement and my driveway.

Final option is to move house, but I don't want it to come to that.

Thoughts?
I wonder, would a couple of sturdy, portable wheelchair ramps fit the bill? Had a look on eBay and maybe promising, there are a number of different types…

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
You can get lower spring seat collars that sit below the coil spring to raise the ride height.
They won't raise the ride height though surely if they're sat within the spring (which already has a gap between the coils at normal ride height)? They're there to help cushion impacts when the spring bottoms out.

The only way to raise the height is to pack up the top of the strut. Like this....

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
They won't raise the ride height though surely if they're sat within the spring (which already has a gap between the coils at normal ride height)? They're there to help cushion impacts when the spring bottoms out.

The only way to raise the height is to pack up the top of the strut. Like this....

View attachment 186188

·
Registered
358 Posts

View attachment 186188
The spacer sits below the spring. It does raise the ride height as that's what it's designed to do on the Indian Market models.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
But isn't the car permanently raised with these spacers? Phil

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
and, with this, is there a risk of screwing up ride quality, warranties etc?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
and, with this, is there a risk of screwing up ride quality, warranties etc?
Genuine Jaguar part Dave, can't see warranty being a problem but would check with them if it still had a warranty personally.

Would be interesting to know what difference a 12mm increase to the ride height would make, many lower their cars quite happily.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts