Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,621 Posts
Thanks Hamedhbb, the issue is I can’t get a good grip on the plug due to the tight access around the engine.
will keep trying, or will take off the egr pipe instead
Thanks
I taught you are trying to take off the egr clip.
For that connector, I use flat screw driver, lift the clip from underneath and then put the connector out.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,621 Posts
That makes abit more sense now
That connector is difficult to reach even with egr pipe out of way. Specially if one have bigger hands. It is air tight. Pulling straight out won’t work. Move it to right and left to let air in first.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I'm a mechanical engineer, and rarely do I use a standard pair of pliers. I do use my thin nose pliers virtually every day though. They are a decent pair of knipex ones too. (Pronounced ker-knee-pex).
One of the few brands that I'm willing to buy these days.. as I get older I find that the quality of the tools I buy increases, it would have been wiser really to do it the other way round...

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
One of the few brands that I'm willing to buy these days.. as I get older I find that the quality of the tools I buy increases, it would have been wiser really to do it the other way round...
It always depends on what it is for me.

I'd certainly only use knipex for side cutters, pliers.

Spanners and Allen keys, I'm not so fussy, in fact in my experience some of the cheaper brands are fairly good quality such as roebuck. They're usually thinner heads which can often be the difference between being able to actually get in somewhere.

Ratchet spanners can be hit and miss so I don't usually use them that much.

Again, square drive ratchets I'm not so fussy. I've had various different makes and not really noticed a huge difference in quality overall between the very expensive and cheap. But the cheap ones you don't feel gutted to throw them out and get a new one. I do a lot of work in a dyehouse so often they'll get wet and they do need stripping down and greasing again.

Hammers, I've gone down the line of plastic handled ones with the heads resined in. Wooden handled hammers/axes are pointless in my eyes these days and often just a hazard. Especially sledge hammers. Had numerous near misses with heads bouncing off when you've missed and split the handle. The other thing is when they start splitting on thier own and you end up with a hand full of splinters.

Screwdrivers, Wera are a very good reputable brand and excellent value for money in my eyes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tried the new pliers and after abit of a fiddle, pushed straight off, thanks for the advice John.
Think it may have helped with the engineer being hot aswell, but definitely worked with the new pliers!

thanks for all the help and advice!

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
Tried the new pliers and after abit of a fiddle, pushed straight off, thanks for the advice John.
Think it may have helped with the engineer being hot aswell, but definitely worked with the new pliers!

thanks for all the help and advice!
Great!
Now tell us what you think of the improved performance. :cool:

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
My old one did, current one is fine, though can't recall the make of the old one now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Will take it for a blast tomorrow and see how it feels. I’m sure everything will be alright.
Does anybody know if I can just remove the box and leave all the new connections and wires in place, will it revert back to normal or do I have to remove the new loom and put the original plug back on.
Just thinking if I need to take it back to standard and don’t fancy removing that plug again!

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
I'm afraid you have to unplug the loom and reconnect the original connector (and make sure it clicks back into place). But it gets easier each time you do it. :D

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,398 Posts
A friend of mine has a defeat plug that plugs into where the box lives (for say during winter for e.g.) which puts it back to normal.
Manufacturer dependant , but perhaps worth contacting to see if they can supply one?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I've fitted 3 different makes of tuning boxes to the 3.0D, each came with a shorting plug so you could remove the tuning box then fit the shorting plug to the harness alleviating the need to remove or disconnect the harness to return the tune to factory.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A friend of mine has a defeat plug that plugs into where the box lives (for say during winter for e.g.) which puts it back to normal.
Manufacturer dependant , but perhaps worth contacting to see if they can supply one?
will look into that, thanks

21 - 36 of 36 Posts