Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can anybody help me identify this metal pipe. I need to get to the fuel rail electrical plug and this is hindering me getting a good grip on the plug. It looks like it’s bolted to just below the injectors and am hoping it can easily be unbolted so I can get better access.

Engine is a 3.0d from 2010 xfs
thanks

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
Hi Richard. You shouldn't need to take that off. Did you get yourself a pair if long-nosed pliers? Preferably, angled long-nosed pliers but straight ones will do the job.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John, I can get my hand to it but it won’t budge, don’t think it’s ever been taken off in its life. Have some standard needle nose pliers but can’t seem to get any leverage down there.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,398 Posts
I remember that connector and it’s a complete bitch to get on/off , but just make sure you’re squeezing the tang and perhaps use a flat blade to prise it away

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
Hi John, I can get my hand to it but it won’t budge, don’t think it’s ever been taken off in its life. Have some standard needle nose pliers but can’t seem to get any leverage down there.
Have a look at the corresponding connector on the little wiring loom that accompanies the box and you'll see where to squeeze it to release the clip retainer.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,620 Posts
View attachment 186206 View attachment 186207
Can anybody help me identify this metal pipe. I need to get to the fuel rail electrical plug and this is hindering me getting a good grip on the plug. It looks like it’s bolted to just below the injectors and am hoping it can easily be unbolted so I can get better access.

Engine is a 3.0d from 2010 xfs
thanks
This is RH egr pipe. There is fair amount of discussion around it if you search the forum. Have a close look from side. You will see how to remove it.

There are 2 other bolts down as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. My neighbour has a endoscope which we had a look with. I could see the tab and can feel it, but when I squeeze and pull the plug, it doesn’t budge

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This LH egr pipe. There is fair amount of discussion around it if you search the forum. Have a close look from side. You will see how to remove it.

There are 2 other bolts down as well.
thought it might be an egr pipe but didn’t want to unbolt until I knew for sure. Thanks

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,398 Posts
Try pushing in more home first then pull out

·
Registered
893 Posts
It was the same connector on my C5 and C6.

You really need to give it a bloody good squeeze and from memory, when the one on the C5 was squeezed enough you could hear it click slightly.

To remove that pipe there's a 10mm bolt at the end by the fuel rail and a metal clip at the top. Should be easy enough to remove with a 1/4" socket set to get in about it.

David.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It is the right EGR pipe, you can undo the 2x 8mm bolts at the flange end and undo the bolt on the locator bracket, this will allow some slight movement. You'll struggle to undo the lower torx screw that secures the other end to the inlet manifold feed pipe due to lack of access. The fuel pressure sensor connecter is a bit of a pain to release, more so if the release tang is at the lower side, much easier if it happens to be on the top, all depends where the orientation of the threads end up during manufacture. As has been suggested, try giving the connector a good shove to further seat it. There are waterproof seals inside and these will likely be dry causing extra friction, but also you need to ensure the release tang is actually being pushed hard enough to release it, it could be that the action of pushing the plug harder on will allow the tang to release then the plug can be pulled off.

·
Administrator
27,359 Posts

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
Richard, go and invest in a pair of these:

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Richard, go and invest in a pair of these:

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
That is a prime example (in terms of needle nose pliers) of all I've used for for many, many years. They (in my experience) get everywhere a straight pair get, and lots of places straight ones can't.

I have a pair of straight ones too just in case.. having said that, it's so long since I've needed them that I'm no longer sure where they are off hand, or even if I've still got them tbh!..

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I'm a mechanical engineer, and rarely do I use a standard pair of pliers. I do use my thin nose pliers virtually every day though. They are a decent pair of knipex ones too. (Pronounced ker-knee-pex).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts